109 replies to this topic

#76 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:36 AM

agreed... and he makes better choices in the wet it seems...

He's smoother, so he's seemingly able to gamble with the tire with 'less' grip and make it work.

#77 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:34 AM

bbc post race analyzed the vettel/lewis pitstop...
lewis was let go honestly about 1/2 a second after vettel, no way lollipop guy could've reacted fast enough to hold him... so in that case, they agreed they should be reprimanded...

but

they said lewis should've given up his place down the pit lane since he wasn't on the "fast" lane and for that, he should be punished at the next race...

This.

I am completely shock he didn't catch more of a penalty...especially after already getting a warning last GP.

#78 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:38 AM

Down the pitlane, Hamilton is clearly at fault. Easy to sing a tune that "that's a racing incident" when no one is injured, but Seb was up front was in the fast lane. Hamilton should've dropped the spot - b/c it's not a racing incident until the fucker runs over somebody.

#79 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:39 AM

This.

I am completely shock he didn't catch more of a penalty...especially after already getting a warning last GP.

I am in shock that he didn't get penalized for going backwards on track to get to the fucking pits. WTF. This isn't Forza or Gran Turismo 5 Prologue!!!

Lewis is a fucking cheater. Period.

#80 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:44 AM

Holy shit what a crazy race! Just finished watching, damn was that a good race.

#81 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:52 AM

Down the pitlane, Hamilton is clearly at fault. Easy to sing a tune that "that's a racing incident" when no one is injured, but Seb was up front was in the fast lane. Hamilton should've dropped the spot - b/c it's not a racing incident until the fucker runs over somebody.

Seb came over on him more than he needed to in order to make the point about it being his position. You act like this is the first time we've ever seen people trying to leave the pits 2-abreast in F1.....

Additionally, when did everyone want to start having MORE post-race penalties?

#82 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:03 AM

Seb came over on him more than he needed to in order to make the point about it being his position. You act like this is the first time we've ever seen people trying to leave the pits 2-abreast in F1.....

Additionally, when did everyone want to start having MORE post-race penalties?

More than he needed to? It was Seb's spot and Hamilton wasn't giving his spot to him - was he supposed to beat Seb to the corner when both cars are doing the speed limit? Really? So it's okay for Hamilton to run down the safe zone where the mechanics are just because they're going two-abreast?

And last I checked, I don't remember any car cutting across grass/sandtraps and going backwards on track to "change his mind" on doing a pit-stop...

Additionally, I'm all for post-race penalties if warranted - two wrongs don't make a right.

#83 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:08 AM

Running 2 abreast in the pit is one thing, running 2 abreast with one car in the actual crew area is another.

Should have at least been a drive through, if not a drive through and a 10 grid spot ding for next GP.

Fuck Louise.

#84 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:24 AM

More than he needed to? It was Seb's spot and Hamilton wasn't giving his spot to him - was he supposed to beat Seb to the corner when both cars are doing the speed limit? Really? So it's okay for Hamilton to run down the safe zone where the mechanics are just because they're going two-abreast?

And last I checked, I don't remember any car cutting across grass/sandtraps and going backwards on track to "change his mind" on doing a pit-stop...

Additionally, I'm all for post-race penalties if warranted - two wrongs don't make a right.

Really? Guys running 2-wide down the pit lane is a big deal now? We've seen it plenty of times.

The point that the Speed guys made, and they were right, is that Seb was over quite a bit in the 'lane'. And actually moved further over towards the pits a bit when Hamilton came out, trying to crowd him out. The only reason this looked so different is that most times they move away from the pits and carry on until one blinks and backs off when the pits narrow.

Either way, it was a no-harm sort of incident. Making either driver out to be a villain is a bit much.

So you want the races, and possibly championships, to be decided with post-race pnealties, like we'd been having the last few years? I thought that was pretty universally disliked....

#85 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:26 AM

Running 2 abreast in the pit is one thing, running 2 abreast with one car in the actual crew area is another.

Should have at least been a drive through, if not a drive through and a 10 grid spot ding for next GP.

Fuck Louise.

So penalize Lewis for not having room to move over, and causing an unsafe situation, but not Vettel for not giving space that was available which could have avoided said unsafe situation?

Makes sense....

#86 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:09 AM

Posted Image

Hey Fred let me win in Brazil.

#87 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:52 AM

So penalize Lewis for not having room to move over, and causing an unsafe situation, but not Vettel for not giving space that was available which could have avoided said unsafe situation?

Makes sense....

seb should get a 5 spot penalty for pushing lewis further into the crew area and lewis should get 10 spot penalty for trying to gain a spot in the pit lane by racing down the pit lane through the crew area instead of backing off when he was already behind when he left his box.

#88 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:44 AM

I think both seb and lewis should have gotten a bit more, maybe 5 grid drop? Yes lewis was dumb for keeping his foot in while in the slow lane, but seb had a TON of space on his left and he just kept pushing lewis right.

Posted Image

#89 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

Makes sense....

seb should get a 5 spot penalty for pushing lewis further into the crew area and lewis should get 10 spot penalty for trying to gain a spot in the pit lane by racing down the pit lane through the crew area instead of backing off when he was already behind when he left his box.

You both missed the point, Lewis was let go in front of an oncoming car. He shouldn't have, FIA made a rule - they broke it. See ya later.

Vettel didnt cross the lane line either - I see him doing nothing wrong in the footage. It was his spot to defend, and Hamilton shouldn't have been there in the first place. If Hamilton is allowed to be released while other cars are driving by then Vettel should be able to run him into the paddock.

#90 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,840 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

Either way, it was a no-harm sort of incident. Making either driver out to be a villain is a bit much.
So you want the races, and possibly championships, to be decided with post-race pnealties, like we'd been having the last few years? I thought that was pretty universally disliked....

lewis was complaining that his tires had no grip in post during that incident. now add that to the fact that he's going 60mph down the "mechanic" work area and if he lost any bit of control, we've seen how these cars snap and he could've taken some crew out. he should've given up the spot.

and no, i don't agree with post race penalties and chaning stuff up then, the stewards had more than enough time to tell him to do a drive through, the fact that they waited till post race to decide is lame.

You both missed the point, Lewis was let go in front of an oncoming car. He shouldn't have, FIA made a rule - they broke it. See ya later.

this is what BBC analyzed in super slow-mo after the race. it was honestly 1/2 second, vettels car moved 5 or so feet before the McLaren guy let lewis go. there is no humanly way to react that fast and hold him.

#91 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:12 PM

lewis was complaining that his tires had no grip in post during that incident. now add that to the fact that he's going 60mph down the "mechanic" work area and if he lost any bit of control, we've seen how these cars snap and he could've taken some crew out. he should've given up the spot.

and no, i don't agree with post race penalties and chaning stuff up then, the stewards had more than enough time to tell him to do a drive through, the fact that they waited till post race to decide is lame.

this is what BBC analyzed in super slow-mo after the race. it was honestly 1/2 second, vettels are moved 5 or so feet before the McLaren guy let lewis go. there is no humanly way to react that fast and hold him.

As soon as I saw the 'incident will be investigated after the race' I knew nothing was going to happen. To me, driving on the slow lane in the pits would be grounds for a drive-through in the same way speeding in the pitlane is because both situations result in an unsafe situation for crew working in the pit/wall area.

I don't know when the pitlane became two lanes but the FIA needs to clarify this issue before a mechanic gets run over because someone wouldn't concede that they were released alongside an incoming car. There is a reason why the teams pick their pit boxes at the entry of the pitlane based on constructors standings from the prior year...

#92 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:29 PM

Vettel didnt cross the lane line either - I see him doing nothing wrong in the footage. It was his spot to defend, and Hamilton shouldn't have been there in the first place. If Hamilton is allowed to be released while other cars are driving by then Vettel should be able to run him into the paddock.

You are right in saying that the position did not belong to lewis, and he should not have tried to fight for it. However, regardless if lewis was let go in front of an oncoming car or not, the pit lane (in my opinion) is the one place where safety is paramount because there are people there who do not have the luxury of a carbon fiber chassis as protection against race cars.

Thus, in my opinion, the fact that the two retards were fighting for position in the manner which they did shows they both deserve a penalty of some sort as they obviously had complete disregard for the safety of the crews members in the F1 fraternity. And for the record, THERE IS NO TIME WHEN IT IS ACCEPTABLE TO RUN ANYONE INTO ANY PADDOCKS. That's just plain dangerous.

#93 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,840 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:57 PM

As soon as I saw the 'incident will be investigated after the race' I knew nothing was going to happen. To me, driving on the slow lane in the pits would be grounds for a drive-through in the same way speeding in the pitlane is because both situations result in an unsafe situation for crew working in the pit/wall area.

I don't know when the pitlane became two lanes but the FIA needs to clarify this issue before a mechanic gets run over because someone wouldn't concede that they were released alongside an incoming car. There is a reason why the teams pick their pit boxes at the entry of the pitlane based on constructors standings from the prior year...

:o and :mamoru:

#94 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:23 PM

Someone already stated that the time frame in which the two cars were let go was impossibly small. I didn't see any replays of the two, and i don't remember as well, so i've got nothing on that part of the issue. McLaren wasn't punished for releasing their car into another one though, so i'm going to guess that the actual releases were fine, as far as the lollipop guys were concerned.

you say it's Seb's spot to 'defend' but they 'shouldn't have been racing'. Was it a safety issue, or was it an area where racing is allowed?

Honestly, it seems like you guys are struggling to find reasons that this was deserving of some huge penalty...

#95 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,840 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

Honestly, it seems like you guys are struggling to find reasons that this was deserving of some huge penalty...

both cars let go within a tiny period of time = racing incident, no issue with that
cars going down side by side on the pit, with 1 car in the mechanic area = that deserves a penalty...
Vettel was on the pit lane and in front, he had the right of way, lewis was in the mechanic area and behind, he should've slowed and followed procedure

i'm not struggling at all...

#96 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:56 PM

both cars let go within a tiny period of time = racing incident, no issue with that
cars going down side by side on the pit, with 1 car in the mechanic area = that deserves a penalty...
Vettel was on the pit lane and in front, he had the right of way, lewis was in the mechanic area and behind, he should've slowed and followed procedure

Again, if it's safety, then Seb needed to move over to make room, not move over to push Lewis further out. Even if Lewis had backed off, that wouldn't have gotten them out of the 'dangerous situation' as quickly as both cars shifting left, and all safety issues should be remedied as quickly as possible.

#97 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

I think this comes down to a situation where the rules need further clarification b/c obviously both camps think they're right.

#98 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

:werd:

If anything, I see it as Hamilton's fault rather than his team.

#99 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,840 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

Again, if it's safety, then Seb needed to move over to make room

from a pure and only safety point of view yes... that would've resolved the problem
but from a safety AND racing point of view, vettel could've been anywhere he wanted on pitlane and lewis should've never been next to him, let alone in the mechanic area.

#100 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

Again, if it's safety, then Seb needed to move over to make room, not move over to push Lewis further out. Even if Lewis had backed off, that wouldn't have gotten them out of the 'dangerous situation' as quickly as both cars shifting left, and all safety issues should be remedied as quickly as possible.

I still don't see how moving over and turning a 1-lane road into a 2-lane road is justified. It is the responsibility of the person merging into the fast lane to make sure he does so in a safe manner. This is true for the pitlane as it is for any public road. Anyway I'd be interested in hearing what the rest of the F1 grid and professional drivers think of this incident. What was the verdict from Coulthard or Davidson from the BBC coverage?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users