Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:54 PM

Wow, I kinda feel bad for Fred.

Was unlucky with the strategy but I think Alonso will be reasonably happy, as the Ferrari was definitely in the fight for the win. Perhaps if Alonso had pitted with 20 laps to go he might have been able to win the race by undercutting Hamilton :dunno:

For sure Red Bull were more clever in terms of reacting faster and doing a better job of damage limitation.

Meanwhile, remember this quote from after the Malaysian GP?

http://www.planet-f1...-Is-Not-A-Worry

Jenson Button has all but written off Fernando Alonso's title challenge, saying his deficit to the Ferrari driver is "not the worry."

#27 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:48 AM

Glad we took this year off:

The kickoff to Montreal’s party season descended into chaos Saturday as police and protesters fought for control of Ste-Catherine Street with thousands of tourists caught in the crossfire.

http://www.openfile....ontreal-streets

#28 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:56 AM

I think Ferrari should have pitted the next lap when they saw hambo had a slow stop.

#29 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:58 AM

Thought Kimi was going to do something for a while there :( At least Emo didn't win, even though he's not as bad as he once was, I still can't bring myself to pull for the red team...

#30 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

Not the results I was expecting... but good race over all...
Good call by McLaren to bring Hambo in, nice save by RedBull with Vet, and Alonso at least tried... interesting final laps...

Kimi needs to pick up the pace, Roman is doing really well, although, looking at the constructores points, Lotus is doing pretty decent considering they haven't won... at least they're consistantly scoring...

Is Perez the real deal? 2 podiums now... who would've thought... in Sauber even...

and what's up with Force India, they were leading mid-packers a few seasons ago, and now, barely on the radar?

#31 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

Seems like Grosjean was too close to the top 3 by the 2nd round of pit stops, Hamilton was the only one who could pit and come out just ahead of Grosjean - had Vettel and Alonso pitted just after Hamilton they would have joined behind Grosjean.

This pushed their teams into trying not to stop

#32 TimzSI

TimzSI

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:10 AM

:D

#33 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:25 AM

Seems like Grosjean was too close to the top 3 by the 2nd round of pit stops, Hamilton was the only one who could pit and come out just ahead of Grosjean - had Vettel and Alonso pitted just after Hamilton they would have joined behind Grosjean.

This pushed their teams into trying not to stop

iirc Alonso was 15s ahead of Hambo, if he pitted the next lap then he would have come out ahead/just behind hambo with grosjean 3-5s behind at that point

huge blunder

#34 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:57 AM

Was that the first all-GP2 grad podium?

Perez continues to impress. 1-stops it and then slams in a group of fast laps right at the end of the race. How can he keep those tires not only alive but nearly fresh when 'tire masters' like Button can't do anything with them? Ferrari may say he's not experienced enough, but he's been on the podium two times more than their #2 so far...

Grosjean, as long as he doesn't stuff it immediately, seems to have some talent. Lotus' faith in him is being vindicated.

Hamilton's charge on those fresh tires was awesome. Glad that paid off, it made the end of the race that much more tense. Its similar to the conclusion to Monaco that we were robbed of last year. And it was good to see Lewis win again, I think it'll give him the push it takes to make the season that much more interesting.

7 from 7 is the new record for unpredictable season opening. And the best part is that really we can have 8 or 9 (or more) winners this year, with Grosjean and Perez and (to a lesser extent) Kimi all showing the right combination of car and ability.

#35 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:00 AM

Is Perez the real deal? 2 podiums now... who would've thought... in Sauber even...

and what's up with Force India, they were leading mid-packers a few seasons ago, and now, barely on the radar?

I think Perez is. Even last year he was showing up in unexpected places with that Sauber on one-stop strategies. This year, with the tires being even more finicky, he's rising even further to the top.

FI seems consistent, although they're not popping off the surprise podiums that Williams and Sauber are. I just wonder if their consistency can pay off by year end with the top positions giving out so many points. That said, they're certainly not the threat they were towards the end of last season, even though DiResta looked like he had something early in this race.

#36 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

I just finally got to see this race...been vomitting and shitting all goddamn weekend. There's a Stomach flu going around, so don't get caught =X

Anyways...What a RACE!

I agree with all the points made so far. Perez is the real deal. Roman definitely has the talent and skills to boot. This season is pretty damn exciting, and the tires are playing a huge role in it.

A couple of other things I'd like to point out as well...it's not only the tires that is making this season better, it's the fact that we have some rule stability. Nothing major has changed from the prior years except the removal of exploited aerodynamic advantages, add in the fact that smaller teams have the data from the previous seasons on these same cars and you have Lotus/Sauber/Williams popping onto the podium as well as being regular point scorers. It's also why quali has been so tight this year...1 sec separating 10 grid positions? Awesome!

Car Setup and/Or a lack of tire knowledge...why is it that the F1 regulars like Hamilton/Vettel/Alonso/Kimi and especially Button can't make a tire last on a single stop while rookies like Perez/Romain can? I think it's down to tire setup combined with a lack of knowledge of the tires. The rookies have adapted because they do not know how a previous tire is supposed to drive like, while the veteran F1 drivers have only somewhat adapted to them...I think these tires require a very aggressive driving trait to make them fast. Alonso/Hamilton/Vettel/Kimi all share that trait. To make them last, you have to dial that aggression back just a tad...which I think Perez and Romain can do, mainly because they don't have the in-depth knowledge taht the first 4 have. This hurts Button the worse. Without an aggressive technique to create tire heat thru driving, McLaren addds downforce to his setup, which just increases tire graining...that's why he had to make 3 stops at Montreal. In hindsight, Button's smooth driving is actually hurting him.

#37 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

This hurts Button the worse. Without an aggressive technique to create tire heat thru driving, McLaren addds downforce to his setup, which just increases tire graining...that's why he had to make 3 stops at Montreal. In hindsight, Button's smooth driving is actually hurting him.

But he won pretty handily in Australia.

#38 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

But he won pretty handily in Australia.

Australia has been a one off in terms of surface and track layout compared to most on the calendar...It's bumpier and has a more aggressive surface which creates good heat. Button's not a driver that can drive through problems though, but when he has a good car, he's one of the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users