#276 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 12 December 2021 - 11:14 PM

I'd rather they all race with lapped cars in place then release half the lapped cars inbetween *just* LH & Max and let the other lapped cars remain.  That would've been equal and fair for all.

there was zero chance we would have seen lewis and max battle if there were 5 backmarkers to pass in 1 lap.

Also watch the last lap again.

As fucked up as the sequence of events was, the two best drivers got to go wheel to wheel on the final lap to decide the win, would have been less satisfying of an end if we just watched Lewis cruise to the end and max being held up with blue flags. Lewis almost pulled off the defense and got the pass after the 2nd straight

#277 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 13 December 2021 - 12:09 AM

there was zero chance we would have seen lewis and max battle if there were 5 backmarkers to pass in 1 lap.

Also watch the last lap again.

As fucked up as the sequence of events was, the two best drivers got to go wheel to wheel on the final lap to decide the win, would have been less satisfying of an end if we just watched Lewis cruise to the end and max being held up with blue flags. Lewis almost pulled off the defense and got the pass after the 2nd straight

Less satisfying from a drama point yes, but from a sporting and fairness point of view... :dunno:

#278 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 12:32 AM

Less satisfying from a drama point yes, but from a sporting and fairness point of view... :dunno:

Apparently according to the FIA Masi has the right to decide how to use the SC and letting ric/stroll/Mick Schumacher would not have resulted in any difference to the race between ham/verstappen, so the call was to let them race.

#279 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 01:50 AM

I don't care that they were not going to go wheel to wheel. It's unfair. Mb had too much pace advantage. Even after RB put be tires on and Checo holding back LH, max got pulled on.

This was manufactured drama and RB had no chance to win otherwise today.

That was the entire reason why mb didn't pit for new tires... If that farce was going to happen then might as well let lh put new tires on too while we're at it then since we're just throwing away the rulebook.

I still can't find any reason why it's fair to let the title contenders race without back markers but the rest of the grid had to fight for their points with back markers.

#280 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 01:25 PM

It's going to get very messy if FIA decides that race direction can play God and be fast and loose in deviating from rules and regulations.

#281 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 02:44 PM

https://v.redd.it/jmunlyjjq8581

Crazy race, Perez was the hero of it all. That was great driving.

#282 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 03:51 PM

https://v.redd.it/jmunlyjjq8581

Crazy race, Perez was the hero of it all. That was great driving.

Awesome, that video's comedy gold :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#283 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 13 December 2021 - 06:21 PM

If there is someone who can come up with a new aerodynamic concept with a huge restriction on wind tunnel time I'd put my bet behind Adrian Newey.

Race control needs to get their shit together for 2022 though. They looked to be lost and confused since Brazil, getting bossed around by team principals and making super inconsistent rulings.

Ham won with a lucky break and good pit call in 2008 so I consider this the universe balancing itself out.

This is exactly how I feel about it.  I do agree they should have let everyone through a lap or 2 earlier.  They all knew where the incident was and could have slowed for it.  However if you look at the points, the lapped cars behind the ones that didn't get waved through wouldn't have gained any position in the championship anyway, so it's moot that they didn't.  I feel Masi did the correct thing.  

#284 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 06:55 PM

Eifel GP 2020:

The delay in ending the Safety Car period happened because of the length of time it took to wave the lapped cars through, said Masi.

“There’s a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars passed. So from that point it was position six onwards that were still running. Between 10, 11 cars had to unlap themselves. And therefore the Safety Car period was a bit longer than what we would have normally expected.”

By only removing the cars in between Verstappen and Hamilton, but none of the other lapped cars like Ricciardo race direction basically put a buffer in between Verstappen and anyone else (like Sains) who could beat Verstappen and Hamilton to the win or 2nd place.

#285 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:51 PM

I don't know how we can disagree on something so fundamentally wrong lol...to literally bend the rulebook just so we can have a close finish is not racing.

But can we also take a moment to appreciate the absolute class that Lewis and his Dad was in congratulating Jos and Max?  Seriously if this was in reverse, there's no  way Jos the Boss or Mad Max would've congratulated Lewis and his Dad. 

#286 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 10:23 PM

I don't know how we can disagree on something so fundamentally wrong lol...to literally bend the rulebook just so we can have a close finish is not racing.

But can we also take a moment to appreciate the absolute class that Lewis and his Dad was in congratulating Jos and Max?  Seriously if this was in reverse, there's no  way Jos the Boss or Mad Max would've congratulated Lewis and his Dad. 

It's not that I disagree with you, it was up to Masi and that's what he decided to do.   Was it like the BS they pull in NASCRAP all the time?  Definitely, but the F1 we started watching many moons ago, is not the same F1 we have today...  Regardless I don't think it would have made a difference to let RIC, STR, and MSC, through anyway.  Max had new Soft tyres on, there was no way in hell any one behind him was going to get through even if they had a chance.   Plus the only ones behind that could have improved their championship position was LEC over NOR and they didn't have any lapped drivers between them, I'm sure Masi (or someone in RC) looked at all of this before making the decision. 

HAM and his Dad were definitely a class act.  

#287 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 10:54 PM

I'm not that excited for Max but this gave me the feels.

https://www.linkedin...6574447617-yua4

Glad they pulled it off though Merc had the better car the last quarter of the season.

That being said, max will need to be less aggressive in 2022 since his 7pts on his super license don't expire till September

Also, lap1 turn6 no investigation call was unfair IMO but nobody is talking about that part of the race anymore.

#288 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:11 PM

I'm not that excited for Max but this gave me the feels.

https://www.linkedin...6574447617-yua4

Glad they pulled it off though Merc had the better car the last quarter of the season.

That being said, max will need to be less aggressive in 2022 since his 7pts on his super license don't expire till September

Also, lap1 turn6 no investigation call was unfair IMO but nobody is talking about that part of the race anymore.

That was also a shit call.

However, rewatching the race, Hamilton did let off the gas somewhat before the end of the lap to allow the gap to become a lot smaller - but not enough to allow Verstappen back onto his gearbox

#289 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:19 PM

Well if F1 wants to remain a sport rather than pure entertainment, then it needs to cut the inconsistency and manipulation out.

Hamilton did complain on the radio that the finish was manipulated but I'm speculating that his dad told him to put on a brave face. It's probably why he didn't attend any further interviews afterwards.

#290 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:10 AM

In the end of the day Max, Lewis and the rest of the drivers did what they should have done, but race control really bungled the sequence of events and caused unnecessary confusion. No fault to Lewis or Max and both drove at the level worthy of a championship all year.

They need to make a new rule so that teams can't contact and email race control during a race without being prompted first. This lobbying from teams to race control should not be allowed. Race control should be completely independent from the individual teams' best interests

#291 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 12:13 PM

In the end of the day Max, Lewis and the rest of the drivers did what they should have done, but race control really bungled the sequence of events and caused unnecessary confusion. No fault to Lewis or Max and both drove at the level worthy of a championship all year.

They need to make a new rule so that teams can't contact and email race control during a race without being prompted first. This lobbying from teams to race control should not be allowed. Race control should be completely independent from the individual teams' best interests

:werd:

#292 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 01:38 PM

Totally agree with this.  It's OK to contact them (RC not Masi directly) for clarification etc... but not to actively try and persuade them to do or not do something.  

#293 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 12:16 AM

FIA admits race direction fucked up

https://www.bbc.com/...rmula1/59675264

I wonder if the official confirmation of loss of MGU-H will lead to VW group announcing their participation at some point.

#294 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 03:32 PM

Guess FIA owning up to the fuck up and starting an investigation was what was offered to Mercedes to drop the appeal.

As unlikely as it was, I was kind of hoping Mercedes would go through with their appeal for the ensuing drama :mamoru:

#295 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:18 PM

Guess FIA owning up to the fuck up and starting an investigation was what was offered to Mercedes to drop the appeal.

As unlikely as it was, I was kind of hoping Mercedes would go through with their appeal for the ensuing drama :mamoru:

As much as I hated the way the race ended, overturning the results would be even worse.  I'm glad this is the case.

#296 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 07:52 PM

Maybe it's just me, but codifying in a huge performance advantage for Merc for 8 seasons did more to tarnish the sport :dunno:

#297 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 04:44 AM

Lewis and Toto skipping out on the Gala doesn’t sit well with me… I get why they didn’t want to go, but all this talk about being such a good sportsman’s, then this?… meh.

#298 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 04:57 AM

Lewis and Toto skipping out on the Gala doesn’t sit well with me… I get why they didn’t want to go, but all this talk about being such a good sportsman’s, then this?… meh.

Agreed - very strong 4 year old vibes with the "accepting but sulking" approach here.

Hate posting reddit links, but this was too on point:

https://www.reddit.c...s_week_of_pain/

#299 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 06:35 AM

Agreed - very strong 4 year old vibes with the "accepting but sulking" approach here.

Hate posting reddit links, but this was too on point:

https://www.reddit.c...s_week_of_pain/

That is a quality video. Worth the multiple minutes of my life.

The "I have COVID" line, gold...

#300 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 07:15 PM

Only saw this today. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users