542 replies to this topic

#526 Skyliner

Skyliner

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:12 AM

can't toyota appeal the stewards decision?
what's teh deal on this?
is there a video of this?

There's no video of Trulli passing Hamilton afaik.

And according to that SpeedTV article:

It is not normally possible to appeal against such a penalty because a 25s time penalty is the equivalent of a stop and go, and is issued after incidents that take place in the last five laps and which cannot be dealt with in the normal way.

However, Toyota has found a rarely used channel that allows them to appeal via local Clerk of the Course, former F1 driver Tim Schenken, rather than the usual FIA channels. The move has allowed Toyota to buy some time while it considers the matter.

#527 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

I don't understand - Hamilton gained the spot from passing Jarno while he was doing some extra landscaping for Melbourne :hs:. Last I checked you can't pass someone on yellow even if they've run wide and off the road (I may be wrong)

Here's a sneak peak of some pics I'll upload later this week when I get some time:

Posted Image

Also tell me if imageshack blows and Ill upload them to upshizzle - or somewhere else if someone thinks of something better

#528 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

tinypic.com :hs:

#529 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

can't toyota appeal the stewards decision?
what's teh deal on this?
is there a video of this?

FIA still waiting on Toyota appeal

By Jonathan Noble Monday, March 30th 2009, 09:46 GMT

The FIA is still waiting to hear whether or not Toyota will see through a protest over the penalty that cost Jarno Trulli a podium finish in the Australian Grand Prix.

Trulli was ruled to have overtaken Lewis Hamilton during the final safety car spell, having earlier lost the place to his McLaren rival when he ran off the track while the cars were touring around.

The stewards handed Trulli a 25-second penalty, as a drive-through punishment was not possible as the race had finished, moving him down from third place to 12th overall. That decision moved Hamilton up to third overall.

Although Toyota tried to appeal that decision, the stewards deemed that the appeal was inadmissible - similar to McLaren's appeal against Hamilton's chicane-cutting punishment from last year's Belgian Grand Prix.

However, AUTOSPORT has learned that Toyota has decided to take the matter further – and notified the Australian Grand Prix's Clerk of the Course that it wants to appeal the results.

An FIA spokesman said on Monday that the governing body was now awaiting final confirmation that Toyota wanted to see through the appeal, which would likely result in an FIA International Court of Appeal hearing.

"Toyota communicated their intention to appeal to the Clerk of the Course last night," said the FIA spokesman. "They were reminded by the Stewards that, as with Spa last season, penalties of this kind have proven to be inadmissible to appeal. They have 48 hours to consider their position."

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/74093

if there is any consistency in the FIA (there isn't...) then the case will be thrown out.

#530 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

Am I the only one imagining Hamilton, in front of the stewards, denying everything? :mamoru:

If Hamilton forced Trulli by, how the hell can they give Trulli a penalty? :hs:

It'd be pretty dumb to lie to the stewards while telling the truth to the press. :dunno:

He's said before he doesn't want places/points/championships via the stewards.

#531 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:02 PM

The Barrichello battering-ram swings into action again to knock Raikkonen out of the way

Posted Image

:hs: Love the itv-f1 caption

#532 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

Well, back from vegas...what did I miss?

#533 Skyliner

Skyliner

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:04 PM

It'd be pretty dumb to lie to the stewards while telling the truth to the press. :hs:

He's said before he doesn't want places/points/championships via the stewards.

However, after the two drivers met with the stewards and given their stories the Italian's view was discounted, and officials apparently came to the conclusion that Lewis had not voluntarily let him by.

If Hamilton did verify Trulli's story, as he did to the press, then how the hell did the stewards discount Trulli's version of events? Maybe the stewards are just retarded, which is probably the case.

#534 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

If Hamilton did verify Trulli's story, as he did to the press, then how the hell did the stewards discount Trulli's version of events? Maybe the stewards are just retarded, which is probably the case.

It still doesn't make sense for Lewis to tell one thing to the stewards and then, literally, immediately tell something else to the press.

#535 Skyliner

Skyliner

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

It still doesn't make sense for Lewis to tell one thing to the stewards and then, literally, immediately tell something else to the press.

Nope, it sure doesn't. It also doesn't make sense for the stewards to discredit Trulli's story when Hamilton backs him up. :mamoru:

I think we both see each other's point. :hs:

#536 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:22 PM

Problematic footage of Hamilton overtaking Trulli emerges
Monday 30th March 2009

Footage of Lewis Hamilton overtaking Jarno Trulli behind the Safety Car has raised more questions than answers about the legality of the move and the fairness of the stewards' subsequently decision to add 25 seconds to Trulli's time for Sunday's Australian GP.

In two separate incidents missed by the televisions cameras following the collision between Seb Vettel and Robert Kubica, Hamilton overtook Trulli for third when the Toyota slid off the circuit before Trulli then retook the position when Hamilton, under instruction from his McLaren team, slowed down to let him through.

The footage - now removed from the Youtube website - clearly shows Trulli falling off the track and struggling to keep his Toyota under control on the grass before belatedly returning to the track behind Hamilton's McLaren.

Whilst cars are not allowed to overtake under the Safety Car, article 40.7 of the 2009 F1 Sporting Regulations stipulates various exceptions when 'Overtaking will be permitted', including 'if any car slows with an obvious problem' - a description that presumably applies to a car falling off the track.

However, the ambiguity of the rule was highlighted Trulli's explanation for why he then repassed Hamilton to claim back third: "I thought he had a problem so I overtook him as there was nothing else I could do."

Without any dialogue taking place between the two teams, or the stewards, Trulli's belief that the sight of the McLaren pulling to the side of the road and slowing down was evidence of a problem is understandable. It was, though, discounted by the stewards as they added on 25 seconds to his time, demoting the Italian out of a points-paying position. The option of demoting Trulli to fourth was not available to the race officials.

Toyota have confirmed their intention to appeal
, an announcement that has resulted in a few raised eyebrows given that Hamilton's own appeal against 25 seconds - the equivalent of a drive-through penalty - being retrospectively added to his time in last year's Belgian GP was thrown out by a FIA hearing declaring that drive-through penalties could not be challenged. However, according to reports, Toyota have found a loophole to bypass that stipulation and have appealed to the clerk of the Melbourne circuit rather than the stewards themselves.

What The Rules State:
'All competing cars must then reduce speed and form up in line behind the safety car no more than ten car lengths apart and overtaking, with the following exceptions, is forbidden until the cars reach the Line after the safety car has returned to the pits. Overtaking will be permitted under the following circumstances :

- if a car is signalled to do so from the safety car ;

- under 40.15 below ;

- any car entering the pits may pass another car or the safety car remaining on the track after it has crossed the first safety car line ;

- any car leaving the pits may be overtaken by another car on the track before it crosses the second safety car line ;

- when the safety car is returning to the pits it may be overtaken by cars on the track once it has crossed the first safety car line ;

- any car stopping in its designated garage area whilst the safety car is using the pit lane (see 40.10 below) may be overtaken ;

- if any car slows with an obvious problem.'

http://www.planet-f1...5120919,00.html

Video Link

so trulli goes off track, giving lewis the right to overtake and then lewis gives the spot back because he is scared of getting a penalty..

#537 Skyliner

Skyliner

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:32 AM

http://www.planet-f1...5120919,00.html

Video Link

so trulli goes off track, giving lewis the right to overtake and then lewis gives the spot back because he is scared of getting a penalty..

Someone else cares! :mamoru:

But yeah, Hamilton let him pass because of team orders. He slowed, swerved to the side, and forced Trulli to pass.

P.S.: I already posted a video.

#538 Deadpool

Deadpool

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:57 AM

Catching up on all the drama :mamoru:

Was a pretty good race, watched Friday/Sat from Schumacher Grandstand and Sunday down on the grass in the shade.

Missed the live timing while I was there, hard to keep up with who is where and doing what. Great experience though.

New season for the win :biggthumb:

#539 Skyliner

Skyliner

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:50 AM

Catching up on all the drama :(

Was a pretty good race, watched Friday/Sat from Schumacher Grandstand and Sunday down on the grass in the shade.

Missed the live timing while I was there, hard to keep up with who is where and doing what. Great experience though.

New season for the win :biggthumb:

And where are your pictures? :mamoru:

:x:

#540 Skyliner

Skyliner

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:07 AM

People in the media saying Hamilton should be banned for races is retarded. As I said before, in my opinion, what he did is the same as Toyota's illegal wings. He was punished for it, now let's move on. Hamilton had a great drive, but fucked up.

Keep in mind it was my favorite driver that got screwed over. :hs:

#541 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:34 AM

agreed...

if it was like the mclaren ferrari issue, or when honda got caught with the extra fuel tank, sure ban them for a couple races, deduct points...

although i don't agree about changing your story to gain a position, just strip the points, fine them team and move on... if lewis got out of the car and kicked tha toyota's front wing off, sure ban the guy...

#542 Robert

Robert

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:46 AM

wow it's about to FLOOD

#543 HighTachPres

HighTachPres

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:fast cars and fast girls

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:46 AM

god i've NEVER seen so much press over such a small event....
if this were a fisi and piquet incident no one would care :hs:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users