#151 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:41 PM

hence ferrari having a feasible chance this year.  It's the fact that it's the fifth on the trot that's killing the sport for me.

Ferrari won 5 in a row, but that was with a completely open engine formula - v12s and v10s competing for the same trophy.

The technical arms race I fell in love with - mass dampers, double diffusers, f-ducts, active suspensions, custom tire compounds and fuels - it's all gone the way of the dodo.

I think hearing about tire management the entire race and the fact that it is no longer a Sprint race is the saddest part for me. Even Le Mans has more flat out driving..

#152 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:54 PM

Yeah, I just keep wondering why more teams don't try to have their drivers do like Alonso did at Ferrari and just go out and run hard lap after lap and actually USE the tyres then pit and do it again...  

#153 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:56 PM

I wish they could make the tyre deg so bad after say 1/3 race distance that they could stay out, but they would be 3 or 4 seconds off the pace...  This would force more pit stops.

#154 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:03 PM

I wish they could make the tyre deg so bad after say 1/3 race distance that they could stay out, but they would be 3 or 4 seconds off the pace...  This would force more pit stops.

Because than the tire manuf gets a bad rep bc drivers complain about how the tires don't last.  Bad for their marketing...

I'm with Jimmy...the races aren't really sprint races anymore.  It's more a balancing act between engine and car now and watching them mantain a balance rather than going flat out is not as fun...along with the lack of competition as well. 

Honestly, I didn't like the arm races so much.  It was interesting, but the arm races also meant no competition because the team w/ the top dollar would win a'la Ferrari.  Sure the others could do whatever to catch up within the rules but without a budget, how could they?  Catch-22 meant that whoever had the tech advantage or the dollar would basically win the season.  

#155 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:45 AM

Honestly, I didn't like the arm races so much.  It was interesting, but the arm races also meant no competition because the team w/ the top dollar would win a'la Ferrari.  Sure the others could do whatever to catch up within the rules but without a budget, how could they?  Catch-22 meant that whoever had the tech advantage or the dollar would basically win the season.  

But you'd occasionally have those lightning-in-a-bottle braun and renault teams.

Merc has had held that tech advantage for 5 years - that is profoundly un-compelling for the sport.  Just going standard engine would make the competition better.

#156 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:32 AM

But you'd occasionally have those lightning-in-a-bottle braun and renault teams.

Merc has had held that tech advantage for 5 years - that is profoundly un-compelling for the sport.  Just going standard engine would make the competition better.

Brawn's car came from a new aero rules change and Honda's immense budget.  Brawn almost lost the chip towards the end there because of a lack of development...I'm not sure enough about Renault's budget to comment on them tho.  I'm assuming you're talking about when FA won his chips with Renault?  I'd still guess that they were top 5 spenders after McLaren and Ferrari during that time frame along w/ Toyota, Honda and BMW.  

I mean, I agree that the engine is part of the problem but the larger issues overall is still the difference in budgets.  Which leads to everything else such as aero, engine and staffing.

#157 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:27 AM

05/06 - Renault had the mass damper
07 - McLaren should’ve won, but Lewis and Alonso kept tripping each other up, Kimi ftw
08 - McLaren got their act together
09 - Brawn had the double diffuser
10-13 - Red Bull had the aero
14+ - Mercedes has the engine

Basically whoever can interpret the rules the best and find the exploit wins until the rules change...

#158 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:58 PM

Can someone explain to my the Kubica thing? it's been like 10 years since he's been in F1... you'd think new talent and other "out of seat" drivers would be a better fit...
Why is Kubica still in the paddock for an actual drive instead of maybe support, analysis or development roles?

#159 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:25 PM

Can someone explain to my the Kubica thing? it's been like 10 years since he's been in F1... you'd think new talent and other "out of seat" drivers would be a better fit...
Why is Kubica still in the paddock for an actual drive instead of maybe support, analysis or development roles?

Same. Maybe he just showed that much promise back in the day that they still want him in a seat today? 

#160 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:58 PM

05/06 - Renault had the mass damper
07 - McLaren shouldve won, but Lewis and Alonso kept tripping each other up, Kimi ftw
08 - McLaren got their act together
09 - Brawn had the double diffuser
10-13 - Red Bull had the aero
14+ - Mercedes has the engine

Basically whoever can interpret the rules the best and find the exploit wins until the rules change...

'08 Massa/Ferrari shot themselves in the dick by driving off with the refuel nozzle in Singapore when he was dominating the race.

#161 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:04 PM

Ocon :mad:
Alonso :mamoru:

#162 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:17 PM

I missed what happened to Alonso other then ignoring blue flags?

Rumors at the end on the Sky Feed was that Red Bull is not losing all that much dF while the rest of the teams have lost a bit for next year's change...interesting...

#163 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:50 AM

Hulk won the F1.5 chip... 

#164 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:48 AM

I missed what happened to Alonso other then ignoring blue flags?

Basically last...

#165 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 03:12 PM

Kubica in for 2019... WTF.  How much did he impress when he had a seat all those years ago?

#166 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:04 PM

I dont get it.
Oh yeah thats right.... money

#167 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 01:44 AM

I dont get it.
Oh yeah thats right.... money

Is it? I don't see any indication that he's a pay driver...

the closest I see is this: "Privately, Kubica was telling people he just hadn’t performed in the test, that the complex tyres and how they behave around that track had caught him out. But now Sirotkin’s funding is less certain – and Kubica has, meanwhile, got more testing miles under his belt. On Friday at Barcelona, he’d lapped 0.8sec quicker than Stroll when the latter ended his session with an off, which allowed Kubica to take advantage of the improving track to eventually go 1.2sec faster."

#168 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:05 AM

"Kubica has also attracted further sponsorship from his native Poland that he can bring to Williams."

https://www.motorspo...l-2019/4301134/

#169 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 03:38 PM

Williams is likely the worst funded team right now. A long way since being a BMW factory team. Such a shame.

#170 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:50 AM

Glad the season is over, sucked that Kimi didn't get to finish his last race with Ferrari, was really hoping for one last podium, and it would have been pretty sweet to see him out doing donuts with Seb, Hammy and Alonso... 

#171 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:41 AM

The donuts at the end was a nice farewell to Alonso...

#172 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:05 PM

The cool-down lap followed by the donuts will by far go down in F1 history as one of the best ways to finish a season...almost a mark to the end of the era and fitting that Max was 3rd...because it was almost like the passing of a torch.  Very touching..

Yonson...I am not quite sure Kimi would do donuts to be honest lol.  But sad he didn't get to finish.  He has put in such a stellar drive this year.

Grosjean asking to do donuts, getting a no, then doing it anyways was  :bowrofl:

#173 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:33 AM

Best YouTube comment I've seen so far from all of the C-Ya Alonso videos...

"this video lasts longer than Riccardo's engine"  :mamoru2: 

#174 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:14 AM

Somehow I missed this. Nice trailer.

https://youtu.be/R8QuZRB2Q18

#175 Redliner

Redliner