Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:48 AM

http://www.jamesalle...kip-four-races/

this is so not happening

I don't even care about USF1 anymore...they've done it all wrong. How can I support this team?

#28 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:24 AM

How can I support this team?

I'd need Kimi, Sato and JPM to give a damn at this point...

#29 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:49 AM

:mamoru:

way to not win over any fans:

Should the FIA allow USF1 to miss the first four races?

Yes 18% (502 votes)

No 82% (2,306 votes)

#30 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:47 AM

yup, I've been done with them for a while now...

#31 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

yeah at this point, I'm wishing they dont make it on the grid and Stephan GP gets their spot. I have no desire to se a crap team with minimal funding get on the grid. I want to see SERIOUS teams who already have what it takes to race in Bahrain!

#32 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:38 PM

yeah at this point, I'm wishing they dont make it on the grid and Stephan GP gets their spot. I have no desire to se a crap team with minimal funding get on the grid. I want to see SERIOUS teams who already have what it takes to race in Bahrain!

:mamoru:

giving a spot to someone that's struggling to get to the first race, hell, get to the first four races just to be a back marker doesn't seem like it's going to be a long term team...

#33 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:28 AM

was thinking about this today some (slow day)...
I hope the FIA say no to the proposal and pull their slots from the grid... not so much that i don't want to see them on the grid (the more cars the better), but mostly to stop this grasp at straws and hopefully help the team save face and stop wasting peoples time and money...

at least with that, they can go home and say the fia didn't give them a chance and didn't want to work with them instead of falling on their face on the international stage even more...

#34 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:57 PM

Good thing the FIA repeatedly denied entry to ProDrive. I mean, that's a pretty shady fly-by-night racing operation there.....

#35 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:00 PM

Good thing the FIA repeatedly denied entry to ProDrive. I mean, that's a pretty shady fly-by-night racing operation there.....

Yep. Prodrive, what a joke. They've only built rally cars, LeMans cars, and an F1 team... FIA totally had the right to reject them!

:rollseyes: @ MadMax

#36 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:58 PM

Yep. Prodrive, what a joke. They've only built rally cars, LeMans cars, and an F1 team... FIA totally had the right to reject them!
:rollseyes: @ MadMax

:o

we don't need no backyard shed built men with hammers team competing in F1... we need a real team with solid foundations which USF1 brings to the table unlike Prodrive...

#37 1357

Formula Ford

• F1 Crew Member
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports, Music, Art, Science, History

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:49 PM

Enzo Ferrari called them "garagistes", but Ken Tyrrell won both the drivers and constructors World Championships having built the car in a wood shed. I am aware that F1 has changed, but I would love to see some of that old spirit back in it. USF1 seemed like they would be the ones to do this, but I guess not at this time. I personally am not "over it" and although a bit embarrassing, I still hope they make it.

#38 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

I have no problem with small teams entering the forray - but do it with a solid business plan. Although I think it's a little tasteless by Ferrari (they just hit out at USF1/Stefan/Campos), I do agree with them. The FIA have de-valued the sport by allowing teams that had no solid foundation to walk on in, and now they suffer and make F1 look a little hollow...

Not that I'm saying we need contructors and only constructors - that doesn't make this sport great either. We need a balance of both. Teams like Minardi and Sauber fighting against Ferrari and Honda....David vs Goliaith. But the FIA should've had stricter guidelines on who was allowed in.

Ferrari hit out at 'holy war' waged by Mosley

Ferrari have launched another astonishing attack on the FIA over some of the new teams that have been given entries into this year's Championship.

The Italian marquee slammed motorsport's governing body last year over the quality of teams that were handed slots on the 2010 grid.

A report on the team's website at the time read: 'Can a world championship with teams like them - with due respect - have the same value as today's Formula One, where Ferrari, the big car manufacturers and teams, who created the history of this sport, compete? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to call it Formula GP3?'

Now the Scuderia are at it again, this time it's taking issue with Campos Meta, USF1 and Stefan GP. Campos and USF1 have entries into this year's Championship, but are struggling to come up with funds to make the grid while the Serbian outfit have appeared out of nowhere.

A column 'the Horse Whisperer' on the website read: 'Of the thirteen teams who signed up, or were induced to sign up, for this year's Championship, to date only eleven of them have heeded the call, turning up on track, some later than others, and while some have managed just a few hundred kilometres, others have done more, but at a much reduced pace.

'As for the twelfth team, Campos Meta, its shareholder and management structure has been transformed, according to rumours which have reached the Horse Whisperer through the paddock telegraph, with a sudden cash injection from a munificent white knight, well used to this sort of last minute rescue deal. However, the beneficiaries of this generosity might find the knight in question expects them to fulfil the role of loyal vassal. All this means, it is hard to imagine the Dallara designed car showing its face at the Catalunya Circuit, with Sakhir a more likely venue to witness the return of the Senna name to a Formula 1 session.

'The thirteenth team, USF1, appears to have gone into hiding in Charlotte, North Carolina, to the dismay of those like the Argentinian, Lopez, who thought he had found his way into the Formula 1 paddock, (albeit with help from chairwoman Kirchner, according to the rumours) and now has to start all over again. Amazingly, they still have the impudence to claim that everything is hunky-dory under the starry stripy sky.'

Serbian outfit Sefan Grand Prix also came under attack.

'Next, we have the Serbian vultures. Firstly, they launched themselves into a quixotic legal battle with the FIA, then they picked the bones of Toyota on its death bed.

'Having got some people on board, around whom there was still a whiff of past scandals [Mike Coughlan - the man at the centre of Spygate has been hired by the team], they are now hovering around waiting to replace whoever is first to drop out of the game.

'This is the legacy of the holy war waged by the former FIA president. The cause in question was to allow smaller teams to get into Formula 1. This is the outcome: two teams will limp into the start of the championship, a third is being pushed into the ring by an invisible hand - you can be sure it is not the hand of Adam Smith - and, as for the fourth, well, you would do better to call on Missing Persons to locate it. In the meantime, we have lost two constructors along the way, in the shape of BMW and Toyota, while at Renault, there's not much left other than the name. Was it all worth it?'

#39 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:20 PM

Honestly, fuck Ferrari. They're so far up their own ass, they don't know what the sunlight looks like anymore After getting caught out last year with Massa's accident, all they can do is run around and propose a 3rd car for big teams.... originally to house a 'development' driver, as they're the only team that has no interest in actually developing young drivers on their own, but has since grown to be the ideal location for a 3rd poached driver for more Ferrari-centric coverage.

I'm pretty sure they'd be fine if it was Formula Ferrari and all 10+ cars on the grids were Ferraris as they're pretty sure they're the only team on the grid that has the 'pedigree' to be in Formula 1. Forget those pesky upstarts like Williams, McLaren and Mercedes. Those sheisty outfits don't have the top tier class, sophistication and talent that the group from Marnanello has...

Really, fuck them.

#40 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:18 PM

Honestly, fuck Ferrari. They're so far up their own ass, they don't know what the sunlight looks like anymore After getting caught out last year with Massa's accident, all they can do is run around and propose a 3rd car for big teams.... originally to house a 'development' driver, as they're the only team that has no interest in actually developing young drivers on their own, but has since grown to be the ideal location for a 3rd poached driver for more Ferrari-centric coverage.

I'm pretty sure they'd be fine if it was Formula Ferrari and all 10+ cars on the grids were Ferraris as they're pretty sure they're the only team on the grid that has the 'pedigree' to be in Formula 1. Forget those pesky upstarts like Williams, McLaren and Mercedes. Those sheisty outfits don't have the top tier class, sophistication and talent that the group from Marnanello has...

Really, fuck them.

I didn't read it like that - I read it as the FIA not taking care of due diligence by ensuring that some of these start-up teams could get to the grid in the first place (which they can't). They didn't hit out at the teams that are cutting the bread.

They're basically saying what most people are thinking: FIA should've tightned up who could come into the sport, and who couldn't. Because we have 3 teams right now just taking up space - if they even manage to get to the grid!

#41 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

I didn't read it like that - I read it as the FIA not taking care of due diligence by ensuring that some of these start-up teams could get to the grid in the first place (which they can't). They didn't hit out at the teams that are cutting the bread.

They're basically saying what most people are thinking: FIA should've tightned up who could come into the sport, and who couldn't. Because we have 3 teams right now just taking up space - if they even manage to get to the grid!

Ferrari has been critical of pretty much every team at one point or another. Their being critical of any new team, as well as pushing to expand the grid by having the front runners get a 3rd car is asinine. Who the fuck wants to watch races where basically all the points go to two teams?

And it's been the FIA being tight about who can and can't come into the sport that have caused previous attempts from people like Dave Richards and ProDrive from already being on the grid. This team-addition round was not of interest to Richards because of the dumb shit that F1 and the FIA are pulling, as he stated.

#42 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:04 PM

Ferrari has been critical of pretty much every team at one point or another. Their being critical of any new team, as well as pushing to expand the grid by having the front runners get a 3rd car is asinine. Who the fuck wants to watch races where basically all the points go to two teams?

And it's been the FIA being tight about who can and can't come into the sport that have caused previous attempts from people like Dave Richards and ProDrive from already being on the grid. This team-addition round was not of interest to Richards because of the dumb shit that F1 and the FIA are pulling, as he stated.

I still reckon if there are sufficient teams to fill the 26 car limit them do pre-qualifying and top 26 make the grid. That way we wouldn't have to deal with this BS of whether the FIA will allow Stefan to race or nor, or whether Prodrive and whoever else who wanted to race would have gotten a grid spot or not.

#43 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:21 PM

These Ferrari blogs have been pretty troll-tastic lately, very unprofessional but fun to read.

#44 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

These Ferrari blogs have been pretty troll-tastic lately, very unprofessional but fun to read.

Ferrari was built on a foundation of epic trolling.

#45 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

Ferrari have a point though, BMW, Toyota, Renault > some of these new teams

#46 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Interests:F1, racing, women, steak, running, cycling.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

agreed... i liked the manufacture era

#47 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:41 PM

While that's all well and good, they're not teams like McLaren or Williams that will stick out the sport until the bitter end of their means because their F1 teams are their business, vs being an arm of a corporation's marketing department.

To that end, ProDrive is a racing team business. Lowering the barriers of entry to allow top-flight racing teams like that to join F1, as opposed to only multinational auto corporations, is good. Yes, you'll get your one-and-done rich guy playtime experiments, but for every Midland there's the possibility of a Williams or a McLaren.

#48 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:23 AM

While that's all well and good, they're not teams like McLaren or Williams that will stick out the sport until the bitter end of their means because their F1 teams are their business, vs being an arm of a corporation's marketing department.

To that end, ProDrive is a racing team business. Lowering the barriers of entry to allow top-flight racing teams like that to join F1, as opposed to only multinational auto corporations, is good. Yes, you'll get your one-and-done rich guy playtime experiments, but for every Midland there's the possibility of a Williams or a McLaren.

You make an excellent point, and I agree that Ferrari are trolls. BUT, they do make a valid point that the FIA didn't really choose wisely when it came to the teams that it has selected for this years championship. Out of the original selected teams, how many of them were actually selected based on their potential to succeed in making the track? There was no transparency in the selection process and the FIA has not published the conditions that had to be met to be selected as one of the new teams to join F1.

If we look at the whole event, here is what we have.

Campos, USF1, Manor selected.
Virgin buys Manor.
BMW drop out
Lotus Added
Toyota drops out
Sauber (BMW) gets back in.
Stephan buys Toyota
Campos possible has a lifeline
USF1 in the toilet
Stephan waits.

If we consider that Sauber and Stephan are basically BMW and Toyota of old respectively, then those are pseudo-established F1 teams ready to race. Of the new teams, only Lotus was a good selection and not one of the original "new" teams mind you, but even the original Litespeed (Lotus) would probably not have made it without the Malaysian involvement. Manor sits in the same boat as Lotus with their buyout from Virgin.

So of the 3 teams the Max originally selected, had it not been for the Virgin buyout, they all would have failed. I'm not holding my breath on Campos, coz until they shake down the car, it's as good as incomplete.

Afterthought:
What is even more scary in the underlining story in all this craziness. Established (non-F1) racing teams like Manor, Campos, Litespeed don't stand a chance on making it to the grid unless they have a HUGE financial partner. Brawn, Torro Rosso, Sauber, Stephan and Geneii are/were ready to race coz of the automotive/parent companies before them help establish the cars they are/were racing with. Simply put, F1 is just way to expensive. Maybe it makes no difference who the FIA selects to put into F1, with the costs the way they are not, everyone fails. But I still believe the had Max made the selection process with transparency then we'd have more teams testing in Barcelona this coming week.

#49 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:17 AM

I had a love/hate relationship with the mftg. era of F1. It was fun b/c you knew who the companies were, but ultimately, Nacho is right...F1 needs more SOLID privateer teams because they are racing because they love racing. They aren't doing that because it's part of a mfgs marketing arm.

That being said, the FIA royally fucked up because they did not excercise caution when picking the new teams - and that's why I think the Ferrari troll-blog made a good point. I don't think Ferrari dis-likes privateer teams, but allowing teams that had no solid foundation, no real way of making F1 viable for them, has diluted the championship just a bit.

#50 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:20 AM

Ferrari was built on a foundation of epic trolling.

With Mozarellaolo in charge you can't expect much more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users