35 replies to this topic

#26 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:54 PM

Former Grand Prix winner turned NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya has warned his American rival Kyle Busch about getting too excited about a forthcoming opportunity to test a Formula One car.

Busch, a NASCAR frontrunner, revealed that he is in talks with Toyota to try the Japanese manufacturer's F1 single seater this winter, and he also refused to rule out making a full switch to the premier class of open wheel racing.

But Montoya, who was disillusioned with F1 as he moved to American stock cars in the middle of the 2006 season, warned Busch that lining up a F1 test may be more complicated than he believes.

The Colombian said there is a difference between a demonstration test and a 'test for real'.

Back in 2003 at Indianapolis, NASCAR's Jeff Gordon tried Montoya's Williams for a publicity stunt prior to the US Grand Prix.

Montoya recalls: "The car had no rpms. I told them, 'You can't do that' - I actually convinced them to put in all the rpms like we normally would when we race it.

"Jeff did really well actually. We were very impressed. But going from a demonstration to an actual test is a big difference. "

Montoya believes it will be impossible for Busch to go straight from racing predominantly on NASCAR's ovals to a 'proper' F1 test.

"The first problem is your neck. You need to train for months to be able to hold it up," he said.

"They give you a day or a half a day, but you're not going to do anything and nobody is going to look at you."

Montoya recalls his first Formula One test, when he was a full time hopeful racer in the F1 support category at the time, F3000.

"I trained for two and a half months non-stop. I had equipment against a bed and I could move the bed with my head.

"When I went into a Formula One car, I couldn't do five laps in a row," he added.

:bowrofl:

#27 Robert

Robert

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:20 PM

Montoya recalls his first Formula One test, when he was a full time hopeful racer in the F1 support category at the time, F3000.

"I trained for two and a half months non-stop. I had equipment against a bed and I could move the bed with my head.

"When I went into a Formula One car, I couldn't do five laps in a row," he added

:bigok: :bowrofl:

#28 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

:bigok: :bowrofl:

I so want to drive an F1 car right now :o

#29 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Interests:F1, racing, women, steak, running, cycling.

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:47 AM

wow!

#30 b7r

b7r

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Nascar

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:32 AM

it sucks montoya's no longer in it. he'd be great to watch without traction control. he'd probably do well. :bowrofl:

No doubt, I watched some old races I had, and man Montoya was alot of fun to watch

#31 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:30 AM

No doubt, I watched some old races I had, and man Montoya was alot of fun to watch

has he called it quits to F1 forever? I would like to see him make a comeback. but what ever he does, tell him to not bring jacques back with him....

#32 b7r

b7r

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Nascar

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:35 AM

has he called it quits to F1 forever? I would like to see him make a comeback. but what ever he does, tell him to not bring jacques back with him....

He's pretty much called it quits. He said he doesn't want to drive for a shitty team, and there's zero chance he'll get a seat at a top team.

#33 More&Faster

More&Faster

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

jacques just won the Spa enduro driving a diesel peugot prototype :mamoru:

his first victory in 11 years :D

#34 psykosis

psykosis

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:57 PM

as a fan of all variations of racing I have to say Fuck Kyle Busch. He has some talent, but is a poor racer. I'm growing to not care for nascar at all any more, and he is a decent part of that. The announcers are another. I would love to see a real US talent in F1, but not him. Or anyone from nascar. It's odd, but it feels like we would be soiling the gene pool as it were if we put a nascar driver in f1. However, on the other hand, I'm full-on giddy about have f1 drivers (or good open-wheel racers in general) in nascar.

:hsughno:

#35 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

as a fan of all variations of racing I have to say Fuck Kyle Busch. He has some talent, but is a poor racer. I'm growing to not care for nascar at all any more, and he is a decent part of that. The announcers are another. I would love to see a real US talent in F1, but not him. Or anyone from nascar. It's odd, but it feels like we would be soiling the gene pool as it were if we put a nascar driver in f1. However, on the other hand, I'm full-on giddy about have f1 drivers (or good open-wheel racers in general) in nascar.

:dunno:

Who would you guys like to see that's an American in F1?? Honestly, I want a Moto GP like Kenny Roberts Jr make a switch :love:
I'd say Nicky but I don't like him.

Problem is, we don't have a proper feeder...

#36 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:46 AM

Who would you guys like to see that's an American in F1?? Honestly, I want a Moto GP like Kenny Roberts Jr make a switch :dunno:
I'd say Nicky but I don't like him.

Problem is, we don't have a proper feeder...

I think there needs to be another Redbull like program... But it should not be linked to a manufacturer in F1. Coz we all know how that turned out. But the truth is, they need REAL talent, not just the best in a pool of no talent drivers. Like the old saying goes, you can't polish a turd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users