And Michael would have won in 06, IIRC.

#3 F1

F1

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:27 PM

Everyone keep being pussyhurt about Massa losing and Jesus winning. It only makes me stronger. :bowdown:

Posted Image

#4 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Interests:F1, racing, women, steak, running, cycling.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:33 PM

when was the points system change?? and how many other titles would have changed? there have been alot of close championships...

#5 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:41 PM

They need to stop fawking w/ the points systems. It waters down some of these championships...they're talking about making it like the old system again here pretty soon. :bowdown:

#6 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:30 PM

People also forgetting the fact that Mclaren get a penalty and FIA go half-heartedly with it. If Mclaren were stuck at the end of the pits this wouldnt have been an exciting championship.

#7 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

People also forgetting the fact that Mclaren get a penalty and FIA go half-heartedly with it. If Mclaren were stuck at the end of the pits this wouldnt have been an exciting championship.

let's say they also got some unfavorable penalties during the season.. either way, the only thing that matters is that massa should have won the WDC had he not spun and beached in sepang, or the engine mcboom in the lead in hungary, or the pit light fuckup in singapore. but thats a moot point now, and hopefully they'll come back next year stronger than ever to clinch both titles again.

but yeah, the rule to end schumi dominance comes back to bite both him and his protoge in the ass. who says the FIA is only pro-ferrari :o

#8 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:59 PM

when was the points system change?? and how many other titles would have changed? there have been alot of close championships...

It changed when Schumi was dominant, so that he wouldn't lock up the season so early on, IIRC.

#9 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:03 PM

If the Penalties Out Of Nowhereâ„¢ hadn't handed 7+ points to Massa, it wouldn't have been exciting either. :o

#10 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

let's say they also got some unfavorable penalties during the season.. either way, the only thing that matters is that massa should have won the WDC had he not spun and beached in sepang, or the engine mcboom in the lead in hungary, or the pit light fuckup in singapore. but thats a moot point now, and hopefully they'll come back next year stronger than ever to clinch both titles again.

but yeah, the rule to end schumi dominance comes back to bite both him and his protoge in the ass. who says the FIA is only pro-ferrari :o

so if it wasnt for an amateur driving error Massa would be champ? ifs and buts, just like kimi would be wdc in 05 if mclaren was more reliable lalalaa

I hate LH as much as the next guy. He's a twat, but cmon guys he won and massa only looked like he was worthy of a wdc on a few occasions (brazil being one of those).

Anyway roll on 2009

#11 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:06 PM

Anyway roll on 2009

i couldn't agree more

#12 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

If the Penalties Out Of Nowhereâ„¢ hadn't handed 7+ points to Massa, it wouldn't have been exciting either. :bowdown:

That's debatable. However, the pitlane musical chairs wasn't

#13 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:56 PM

That's debatable. However, the pitlane musical chairs wasn't

I guess i missed how pitlane position was such a huge deal.

#14 mads

mads

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

It changed when Schumi was dominant, so that he wouldn't lock up the season so early on, IIRC.

and it worked for one season :eek3:

#15 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:45 PM

Most important bit of the article:

"In the end one could argue that Ferrari lost the championship for Massa. He had the two engine failures in Australia and Hungary, the two pit problems in Canada and Singapore, and unfortunate tyre calls in Monaco and Britain.

If you attribute the Monza qualifying tyre choice to Lewis, then arguably the only time a McLaren error cost him points was in Malaysia, where there was a delay in the pits. The strategy call in Hockenheim was perhaps not ideal, but since he won, it didn't cost him. In terms of pure bad luck, you cannot discount the Budapest tyre problem.

So what of the drivers themselves? Massa went off in Malaysia, and he unnecessarily earned himself a penalty with what looked like a petulant shove of Lewis in Japan. Aside from the many spins in his nightmare race at Silverstone, he didn't do too much else wrong (his wild race in Australia was in any case spoiled by the engine failure).

Hamilton created his own dramas in Malaysia (the qualifying block), Bahrain (the grid and Alonso collisions), Canada, France, Belgium (the second lap spin rather than the overtaking move) and Japan, plus he made that qualifying tyre choice in Italy.

Of course Hamilton is a deserving world champion. But add up the points lost to team mistakes, and cross reference that with opportunities wasted by driver errors, and perhaps you may come to the conclusion that Massa deserved to win it just a little bit more..."

http://www.autosport...cle.php/id/1872

#16 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:13 PM

I don't think it's fair to discount all of Massa's beeching the car issues just because his engine failed when he was out of the points due to his own mistakes anyway.

#17 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:46 PM

I don't think it's fair to discount all of Massa's beeching the car issues just because his engine failed when he was out of the points due to his own mistakes anyway.

I think they were just making the point that Hammy made more mistakes than massa, but ferrari mgmt made the most costly mistakes. :hs:

Good article btw.

#18 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

I think they were just making the point that Hammy made more mistakes than massa, but ferrari mgmt made the most costly mistakes. :hs:

Good article btw.

But to discount driver mistakes totally due to the fact they coincided with mechanical failures afterward in a race puts a biased blame on the team.

#19 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:16 PM

i think australia and malaysia cannot be blamed on the team (i'll admit it took massa a few races to get on board with the lack of TC) but hungary, canada and singapore were huge blunders by the team on days when ferrari were looking good to score solid points over hamilton... looking at mclaren TEAM mistakes it seems like they all landed on heikki's plate and the mistakes that ham had throughout the season were down to his driving style and not team blunders.

either way, ham is WDC, ferrari is WCC. massa came in 2nd, was let down by stupid mistakes in the season... bring on '09!

#20 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:07 AM

I think alot of Ferrari team mistakes came down to the fact that all eyes were on Raikkonen for 3/4 of the season, until he spontaneously combust. If Massa was the Ferrari number 1 I would hope alot less mistakes would have been made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users