283 replies to this topic

#176 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

How so? Great racing, lots of action, great to see new talent coming up the ranks, just ugly cars & terrible sounding motors...but in the end it's the racing that keeps me at the TV.

And you can't blame the sport if your driver isn't winning.

#177 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

How so? Great racing, lots of action, great to see new talent coming up the ranks, just ugly cars & terrible sounding motors...but in the end it's the racing that keeps me at the TV.

And you can't blame the sport if your driver isn't winning.

Mercs are constantly 1-2s faster than the rest of the cars. If it wasn't them taking each other out or Lewis' reliability, the season would be over already. I don't disagree that the racing for P3-5 is great, but that's not why we watch racing, otherwise we'd all be watching GP2/3.

#178 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

Was in London and missed the Belgian GP :(

#179 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

Rumors are heavy that Vettel might be leaving for McLaren now.. :noes:

#180 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

everyone is banking on that Honda powerplant in the macca next year. :o

#181 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,840 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:22 AM

What is going on with Caterham this season?
Their Moto2 team just dropped one of their riders 2/3's of the season in (sadly it was the current AMA Superbike reigning champ, he hasn't got used to the Moto2 class, but still, this far in the season?)
F1 team is a disgrace, Koby had to step aside for Andre at Spa, and the only reason Koby raced this weekend was because Andre turned down the ride since he couldn't do FP1 since their reserve driver was doing a session, Koby got the call to show up on Wednesday. And now Albers is stepping down after 2 months of running the team...

How is the road car division staying afloat?

:wtf:

#182 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:04 AM

Isn't the roadcar division separate and had its shit together for a long time? I thought Fernandez bought Caterham so he could have a racing name and let go of Lotus.

#183 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,840 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

Breaking: Luca Di Montezemolo has confirmed he is stepping down as Ferrari president after nearly 23 years, with FIAT CEO Sergio Marchionne taking over

#184 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:14 PM

That came out of nowhere...

So the F1 team hasn't done well but their car division has been doing awesome. What was the friction?

Edit: it is about the f1 team...interesting.

#185 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

Not sure marchionne is the guy who can right the ship from the f1 side if things. Then again, I was also the one to doubt Mattiaci initially..

#186 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

Not sure marchionne is the guy who can right the ship from the f1 side if things. Then again, I was also the one to doubt Mattiaci initially..

Aren't you still right to doubt Mattiaci? It's not like they've won since he took over for Dommencalli...

#187 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:33 PM

Aren't you still right to doubt Mattiaci? It's not like they've won since he took over for Dommencalli...

I feel like he's moving in the right direction so far considering the sshitstorm he inherited

#188 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

Does anyone read Taki Inoue's (former F1 japanese driver) twitter page? I'm just now finding this nugget of gold on the interwebs...

https://twitter.com/...5687552/photo/1

Taki Inoue ‏@takiinoue 2h
When Taki Inoue was 16 years old like a Max Verstappen age, Taki Inoue was still virgin. Taki Inoue knew only how to use his right hand.

Taki Inoue @takiinoue · Sep 9
Congrats to Michael for being discharged! Taki Inoue still has been continuing the rehabilitation process since hit by medical car in 1995.

:bowrofl:

#189 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

Does anyone read Taki Inoue's (former F1 japanese driver) twitter page? I'm just now finding this nugget of gold on the interwebs...

https://twitter.com/...5687552/photo/1

Taki Inoue ‏@takiinoue 2h
When Taki Inoue was 16 years old like a Max Verstappen age, Taki Inoue was still virgin. Taki Inoue knew only how to use his right hand.

Taki Inoue @takiinoue · Sep 9
Congrats to Michael for being discharged! Taki Inoue still has been continuing the rehabilitation process since hit by medical car in 1995.

:bowrofl:

a true F1 hero

#190 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,840 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:50 AM

"MotoGP 4K Live Showcase" at International Broadcasting Convention

".....Always on the cutting-edge when it comes to implementing new technologies, Dorna Sports is now investigating 4K technology and will be producing a first LIVE Ultra-High Definition broadcast.....during the first day of action at the Gran Premio TIM di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini

The MotoGP™ 4K Live Showcase will consist of a broadcast running from 9am to 6pm, featuring Live footage from Pit Lane and Paddock cameras and recorded HighSpeed footage.

The HighSpeed footage is captured using I-MOVIX X10 UHD System in 4K high speed modes at 500, 750 and 1,000 fps and in 4K 2x super slow motion, coupled with Fujinon XA99x8.4 box lens and the new Fujifilm 4K ZK12x25 25-300mm PL mount lens.
....."

http://www.roadracin...ing-convention/

And F1 will take 10 years to adopt this....

#191 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:56 AM

Not looking pretty for Ferrari with FIAT taking over... :hs:

http://blog.axisofov...e-american.html

The doubt, many fear, is that a Scuderia Ferrari not insulated from the larger FCA group could be vulnerable to market pressures, No wins at the track could be seen as a reason by shareholders to just pack up and go home, like BMW did, like Toyota and Honda did.

These is the realities of giant conglomerates but it has never been Ferrari's, the one team that has participated in every single Formula 1 Championship since its inception.

#192 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

Charlie Whiting just sorta banned pit to radio messages regarding car performance. R should get an award if this works..

Unfortunately I think it didn't go far enough and now all we're going to get is coded messages about "the rain is not going to arrive" on a sunny day.

#193 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,840 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

Charlie Whiting just sorta banned pit to radio messages regarding car performance. R should get an award if this works..
Unfortunately I think it didn't go far enough and now all we're going to get is coded messages about "the rain is not going to arrive" on a sunny day.

:werd:
unless they cut all communications to the car unless it's an emergency (e.g.: engine is failing, bring it in), they'll just come up with codes for rival placement and such... :hs:
It'll be like that NASCAR race last year if you remember... "How are your arms feeling?", 10 second later big pile up and the teammate moved into the Chase because of car position...

#194 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

:werd:
unless they cut all communications to the car unless it's an emergency (e.g.: engine is failing, bring it in), they'll just come up with codes for rival placement and such... :hs:
It'll be like that NASCAR race last year if you remember... "How are your arms feeling?", 10 second later big pile up and the teammate moved into the Chase because of car position...

The rain in Spain falls calmly on the plains, do you copy?

The move is not a ban on all radio traffic, with certain messages still permitted relating to the likes of strategy and safety, but drivers will now be unable to call on the team for advice on how to improve performance while out on track.

Um that's a major loophole.. As long as it's "strategy" then it is OK.

Clarifications from FIA Q&A:
http://www.gpupdate....o-restrictions/

#195 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:39 PM

Good move banning the nagging and micro managing

#196 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

Cool video on the collaboration of Lotus and Boeing.

http://www.buildsome...-speed-test-lab

#197 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:43 PM

Is that why the 787 keeps breaking down?

#198 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,840 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:03 AM

Anyone watch the Formula E race today? Interesting to say the least...
- Engine whine and you could hear the tires screaming for grip on some turns
- Music in the background was meh
- Seemed kinda "slow"
- Swapping of the cars 1/2 through the race is an interesting concept... batteries lasted for about 12 laps in Beijing street course
- 2 female drivers
- Quick Nicks air time was impressive
- i8 Safety Car and i3 Pace Car (?)

#199 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

Thinking about this radio ban...

A lot of procedures like the start will be compromised because the cars will not be optimized for clutch bite, engine maps, etc before the launch. I'm hoping the next iteration of the cars will make some of these systems more 'automatic' because really, driving should be about driving, not managing. Now that the radio ban is in place, I have a feeling the next few cars will be more driver-centric...that is they'll be removing the driver as a systems integrator while driving at 200mph.

The question is, how much should be automated and how much should be left in the drivers control? Engine maps? Anti Roll bars? Brake Bias?

#200 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:49 PM

Thinking about this radio ban...

A lot of procedures like the start will be compromised because the cars will not be optimized for clutch bite, engine maps, etc before the launch. I'm hoping the next iteration of the cars will make some of these systems more 'automatic' because really, driving should be about driving, not managing. Now that the radio ban is in place, I have a feeling the next few cars will be more driver-centric...that is they'll be removing the driver as a systems integrator while driving at 200mph.

The question is, how much should be automated and how much should be left in the drivers control? Engine maps? Anti Roll bars? Brake Bias?

Thing is, they are only driver operated right now because rules don't allow automatic control. Otherwise the engineers wouldn't want to distract the drivers to begin with, and the electronics could react much faster than any human. From a controls standpoint there is zero reason why it can't be automated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users