26 replies to this topic

#1 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:42 PM

Robert Kubica will replace the Ferrari-bound Fernando Alonso as Renault's lead driver in 2010, the French team has announced.

The 24-year-old Polish driver moves to Renault having spent his whole Formula 1 career so far at BMW Sauber.

Kubica had been strongly linked to Renault in recent weeks, and team boss Bob Bell said the team had been eyeing him for some time.

"Ever since Robert made his grand prix debut in 2006, he has been on our radar as one of the most naturally talented drivers of his generation, and he has delivered on that promise so it's great to have secured him in one of our cars next season," said Bell.

"Renault has high ambitions and hopes for the future of the team and we feel that Robert can play a big role in fulfilling them."

Kubica made his F1 testing debut with Renault four years ago, when he was given a test as a reward for winning the 2005 World Series by Renault title. But he was not offered a deal by the team and instead went to BMW to start his F1 racing career.

"I am very happy I will be joining Renault in the 2010 season," said Kubica. "I feel I have a special connection with this team because in 2005 I won the World Series by Renault. This gave me the chance to test with the team in Barcelona, which led to my debut in Formula 1.

"I share with Renault a strong winning mentality and feel comfortable with their friendly and open attitude. I'm highly motivated and optimistic that together we can be at the front of the grid next year and hopefully fighting for the world title."

Kubica finished on the podium in only his third grand prix, and went on to take his sole victory to date in Canada in 2008 - a result that helped him mount a surprise world championship challenge.

The Pole expected to be a title contender from the outset in 2009, but the BMW Sauber F1.09 proved uncompetitive and the manufacturer announced in the summer that it will pull out of F1 at the end of the year. Although the team has been bought by the Qadbak group, its future remains uncertain as it does not currently have a 2010 entry.

Toyota had also been keen to sign Kubica for 2010, but team boss John Howett admitted in Japan that it appeared Renault had won the race for his services.

#2 AErrorist

AErrorist

PFF1 Champion

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:40 PM

But...where is Kimi going?

#3 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:22 PM

But...where is Kimi going?

Ex-F1 World Champion Kimi Raikkonen could be set for a surprise switch to Red Bull Racing in 2010, it has been rumoured – as the Finn's discussions with former employers McLaren-Mercedes appear to have hit deadlock over his financial demands, whilst Mark Webber's continuing allegiance to his disgraced manager Flavio Briatore has reportedly made him unpopular with RBR top brass.

Even prior to the announcement by Ferrari last week that finally confirmed the worst-kept secret in the F1 paddock – that Fernando Alonso will jump ship from Renault to the Scuderia next season on a three-year deal – it had been speculated that Raikkonen was in advanced talks with McLaren, with whom he competed in the top flight from 2002 until 2006, triumphing eight times along the way and only narrowly missing out on the drivers' crown in 2003 and 2005.

However, according to German magazine Sport Bild, the salary requirements being made by Raikkonen's management team have caused McLaren to think again – with the 18-time grand prix-winner having received a substantial pay-off from Ferrari for terminating his ongoing contract a year early, and understood to be seeking in the region of €25 million for 2010, a sum the Woking-based outfit is unwilling to pay.

The 30-year-old has also been linked with both Toyota and Renault for next season – with the former openly admitting it would love to snap Raikkonen up [see separate story – click here] – and now, most intriguingly of all, with Red Bull, where 2009 incumbents Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber ostensibly have firm agreements in-place for 2010.

However, it is understood that Webber's unwillingness to end his collaboration with Briatore – one of the leading architects of the 'Singapore-gate' race-fixing scandal that has rocked F1 of late, and for which the Italian was banned indefinitely from all aspects of FIA-sanctioned competition, driver management included – has not gone down well at the energy drinks-backed outfit, with suggestions that the German Grand Prix winner could be side-shifted across to sister team Scuderia Toro Rosso to make way for Raikkonen.

Adding to the credibility of the latest rumours, Vettel and Raikkonen are reputedly good friends away from the race track, the latter's manager Steve Robertson has cryptically revealed that 'we are negotiating even with teams that everybody thinks have no vacancies' and the Espoo native's well-documented party-loving lifestyle and high profile would doubtless fit in well at the team credited with putting the fun back into F1 – and one that seemingly has the necessary backing behind it to meet his financial desires.

Elsewhere on the provisional 2010 starting grid, following the announcement that BMW-Sauber refugee Robert Kubica has – as had been generally anticipated – signed for Renault as Alonso's replacement [see separate story – click here], it is believed that the French manufacturer is looking for someone other than rookie Romain Grosjean to partner the Pole, with Briatore's young Franco-Swiss protégé having failed to set the world alight since his graduation from the GP2 feeder series in place of the sacked Nelsinho Piquet two months ago.

Kubica's current BMW team-mate Nick Heidfeld, Toyota star Timo Glock and Force India ace Adrian Sutil are all rumoured to be in contention for the seat, with Renault in no rush to make a decision on who will fill its second cockpit. It seems increasingly likely, meanwhile, that F1 veteran Rubens Barrichello will move from Brawn GP to Williams, alongside debutant Nico Hülkenberg – leaving Kazuki Nakajima, Jarno Trulli, Heikki Kovalainen and Grosjean all seeking alternative employment and potentially needing to look towards the new teams in order to prolong their careers at the highest level.

Red Bull :eek5:

#4 AErrorist

AErrorist

PFF1 Champion

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

Kimi + Red Bull = epic win

#5 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:44 PM

:eek5:

Skittle + Kimi + RBR = Posted Image

#6 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:04 PM

fuuuuck I was going to make this thread but I was playing OFP2 coop

#7 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:29 PM

Red Bull :eek5:

the silly season had gone into full swing and some more...

#8 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:15 PM

These driver changes make no sense...and when is Brunno gonna get in the news again? He's always trying to get a ride. Sadly, I don't think he has what it takes. He doesn't show the speed (of course, he has only recently started racing too...)

#9 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:27 PM

These driver changes make no sense...and when is Brunno gonna get in the news again? He's always trying to get a ride. Sadly, I don't think he has what it takes. He doesn't show the speed (of course, he has only recently started racing too...)

I'm thinking he'll jump in with one of the newer teams if he gets a ride this season...
he's been racing LeMans with Oreca this season if i remember correctly...

#10 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

Kimi ain't going to Red Bull, quote me on that.

#11 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:06 PM

#12 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:06 PM

Really?

#13 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

I believe it.

#14 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:36 PM

I believe it.

Seems a longshot, but there's a reason it's called the silly season.

#15 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:49 PM

Red Bull :mamoru:

As much as I'd like to see Kimi back at Macca, I would be down with him going to Red Bull!!!!

#16 TimzSI

TimzSI

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:26 PM

I should've seen it coming, Red Bull and Kimi go together like, well, Red Bull and Vodka!

#17 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:41 PM

I should've seen it coming, Red Bull and Kimi go together like, well, Red Bull and Vodka!

ZING!

I still don't see it. RedBull isn't a top flight team. Unless this season is the marking of a turn-around where Ferrari & McLaren are not the forces they used to be. I see both Brawn and RedBull falling back next year. If not, bring on 2010!

#18 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:37 AM

ZING!

I still don't see it. RedBull isn't a top flight team. Unless this season is the marking of a turn-around where Ferrari & McLaren are not the forces they used to be. I see both Brawn and RedBull falling back next year. If not, bring on 2010!

RBR has Newey and a huge budget. There's no real reason they can't stay competitive.

#19 cafcwest

cafcwest

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:11 PM

RBR has Newey and a huge budget. There's no real reason they can't stay competitive.

And they are still building shit like mirrors and CV joints and suspension wishbones that don't function.

Add crappy exploding French-built motors here.

They have a very fast car, but I don't think the team has the organization or processes in place to build well tested, reliable machinery. I believe Geoff Willis helped quite a bit in this department, bringing them from mid-field to title contenders, but then they went and sacked him earlier this year :rofl:

#20 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:48 PM

And they are still building shit like mirrors and CV joints and suspension wishbones that don't function.

They have a very fast car, but I don't think the team has the organization or processes in place to build well tested, reliable machinery. I believe Geoff Willis helped quite a bit in this department, bringing them from mid-field to title contenders, but then they went and sacked him earlier this year :rofl:

Newey is the modern day Colin Chapman. Build the cars fast, and light but they are hugely unreliable. From McLaren to RedBull, his cars are always blowing up...I think Geoff Willis kind of rectified things a bit...but I have a feeling Newey's cars are always nuking themselves.

#21 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

remind me how many time the works Renault team had engine failure in the past 3 years :rofl:

#22 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:52 PM

remind me how many time the works Renault team had engine failure in the past 3 years :rofl:

Truth. When you let an aerodynamicist go wild he's going to want to give the engine as little cooling as possible in the endless pursuit of aero efficiency, so its no surprise when they go kaput.

#23 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:55 PM

Truth. When you let an aerodynamicist go wild he's going to want to give the engine as little cooling as possible in the endless pursuit of aero efficiency, so its no surprise when they go kaput.

OT: Is that the star of david (or whatever that Jewish emblem is :rofl:) on Barichello's helmet?

#24 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:14 AM

OT: Is that the star of david (or whatever that Jewish emblem is :hug:) on Barichello's helmet?

WTFBBQ?

#25 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

remind me how many time the works Renault team had engine failure in the past 3 years :hug:

Didn't Renault admit during Spa that it was their fault on the engine failures and not Red Bull's doing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users