206 replies to this topic

#51 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:50 AM

I don't think he's that bad, will be interesting to see if he beats perez.

Perez is pairing with Nico at Force India. Did you mean Guittarez? Does he still have a seat at Sauber?

#52 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

Perez is pairing with Nico at Force India. Did you mean Guittarez? Does he still have a seat at Sauber?

Guit out. Ran out of TelMex money, it seems.

Sauber hasn't announced their second driver yet.

#53 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Ok honestly...how does Sutil still have a seat in F1?

You going to fire a guy that'll stab you in the neck with a broken bottle?

#54 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

You going to fire a guy that'll stab you in the neck with a broken bottle?

:rofl: This is true!

Sorry if this comes off a bit excited, but I as pretty stoked...

Last night was my room-mate's Shop Christmas party...being that they run a Lotus 79, they're on good terms with a lot of the current/former Lotus people. So last night, he introduced me to 2 guys that came to the party: Bob Dance and Chris D. Bob Dance has been apart of Team Lotus since the early 60s and was hired directly by Colin Chapman. He became a mechanic to Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Jochen Rindt, Mario Andretti, Aryton Senna...as an F1 fanatic like myself, I was overjoyed to know that I'm literally 1 degree away from these legends. Bernie E apparently greets him personally to give him his F1 credentials when he attends a race :bowdown: We talked a little about Clark and Hill and how nice Mario is. We talked a little bit about the commercialization of the sport and things of that nature. And we even talked about how kind of a person Vettel is. Bob ranked him as one of the best of all time but he also talked about how humble he was. He won a lifetime achievement in motorsports award last year at the Autosport awards and Vettel came up to him to congratulate him.

Chris D is now the head of Lotus's Demo team and also runs the Pirelli test car. The data that Pirelli gets from that goes thru a really secure process...data is brought off the car by a 3rd party, securely encrypted and sent to Pirelli where they decrypt it. The Pirelli test car once blew a transmission and the demo team had to ask Pirelli for information on what the sensors showed. Asked him about what he thought about MB's tire run, he said that was completely wrong. He said that they may or may not have been that secure but the fact that race drivers are getting mileage just puts everyone on an un-equal field. Chris also has worked with Newey and he talked about how 'one of the guys' Newey was...on his first Leyton House car, Newey had designed a car where the cockpit was super slim; the drivers kept running their hand into the side of the cockpit, causing them to bleed. Newey recognizing his mistakes told the mechanics to go home and he himself laid up a bubble on the side of the cockpit overnight to give the clearance to the drivers hand. :bowdown: He also talked about Kimi and how he was generally pretty cool w/ the mechanics. Oh and he was also the lead mechanic of Alonso's 2 WDC Renaults. :wavey:

The greatest part was when Bob Dance helped my buddy start up the Lotus 79 while Chris D video taped the whole thing on his phone...here you have 2 very seasoned hands in F1 still excited over seeing the start up of an F1 car.

#55 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

That's amazing David!

I still can't believe they're awarding double points for the last race.

#56 cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

Last night was my room-mate's Shop Christmas party...being that they run a Lotus 79, they're on good terms with a lot of the current/former Lotus people. So last night, he introduced me to 2 guys that came to the party: Bob Dance and Chris D. Bob Dance has been apart of Team Lotus since the early 60s and was hired directly by Colin Chapman. He became a mechanic to Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Jochen Rindt, Mario Andretti, Aryton Senna...as an F1 fanatic like myself, I was overjoyed to know that I'm literally 1 degree away from these legends. Bernie E apparently greets him personally to give him his F1 credentials when he attends a race :bowdown: We talked a little about Clark and Hill and how nice Mario is. We talked a little bit about the commercialization of the sport and things of that nature. And we even talked about how kind of a person Vettel is. Bob ranked him as one of the best of all time but he also talked about how humble he was. He won a lifetime achievement in motorsports award last year at the Autosport awards and Vettel came up to him to congratulate him.

Chris D is now the head of Lotus's Demo team and also runs the Pirelli test car. The data that Pirelli gets from that goes thru a really secure process...data is brought off the car by a 3rd party, securely encrypted and sent to Pirelli where they decrypt it. The Pirelli test car once blew a transmission and the demo team had to ask Pirelli for information on what the sensors showed. Asked him about what he thought about MB's tire run, he said that was completely wrong. He said that they may or may not have been that secure but the fact that race drivers are getting mileage just puts everyone on an un-equal field. Chris also has worked with Newey and he talked about how 'one of the guys' Newey was...on his first Leyton House car, Newey had designed a car where the cockpit was super slim; the drivers kept running their hand into the side of the cockpit, causing them to bleed. Newey recognizing his mistakes told the mechanics to go home and he himself laid up a bubble on the side of the cockpit overnight to give the clearance to the drivers hand. :bowdown: He also talked about Kimi and how he was generally pretty cool w/ the mechanics. Oh and he was also the lead mechanic of Alonso's 2 WDC Renaults. :wavey:

The greatest part was when Bob Dance helped my buddy start up the Lotus 79 while Chris D video taped the whole thing on his phone...here you have 2 very seasoned hands in F1 still excited over seeing the start up of an F1 car.

:bowdown::coold:

#57 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

lucky SOB. :jelly:

#58 cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

Posted Image

#59 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

that's not active suspension, it's just really windy out...

#60 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:52 AM

Pirelli already having blowouts in Bahrain

#61 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Guit out. Ran out of TelMex money, it seems.

Sauber hasn't announced their second driver yet.

JK, Guit back in at Sauber.

PS: LOLheadline

http://www.jamesalle...-nod-at-sauber/

#62 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:11 AM

Besides Chilton I think Guit was least impressive and promising driver in 2013, but money talks.

#63 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

Besides Chilton I think Guit was least impressive and promising driver in 2013, but money talks.

Let's not ever discount Maldanado's uselessness.

#64 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

anyone have an autosport account to snag this video?
Posted Image

#65 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

Damn, totally missed this thread...

David that is :bowdown: about the Lotus guys, at SEMA I had dinner with one of Mika Hakkinen's top crew guys from his first championship, guy had a TON of good stories!

#66 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

Lotus to miss the first test as car isn't ready, basically they're giving up 4 days out of 12 of pre-season testing... they also skipped the tire test a the end of last season... 2014 doesn't look like it's starting on the right foot...

Also, car launches, Merc and McLaren are launching on the 28th and 29th of this month... I'll start a new thread with launch dates and photos...

#67 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

I wonder what happened to Lotus' investment deal

#68 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

Time to learn new numbers:

# Driver Team/Car
1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
3 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault
6 Nico Rosberg Mercedes
7 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
8 Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault
11 Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes
13 Pastor Maldonado Lotus-Renault
14 Fernando Alonso Ferrari
17 Jules Bianchi Marussia-Ferrari
19 Felipe Massa Williams-Mercedes
20 Kevin Magnussen McLaren-Mercedes
21 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari
22 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes
25 Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Renault
26 Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso-Renault
27 Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes
44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
77 Valtteri Bottas Williams-Mercedes
99 Adrian Sutil Sauber-Ferrari

Pastor Maldonado #13, so fitting :mamoru:

#69 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

anyone have an autosport account to snag this video?
Posted Image

I do but don't know how... but this video is similar

#70 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:17 AM

Funny thing with the numbers is that they're all pretty much in order, only 3 out there with 44 77 and 99.

Honestly was expecting more variety.

#71 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:34 AM

Funny thing with the numbers is that they're all pretty much in order, only 3 out there with 44 77 and 99.

Honestly was expecting more variety.

Most of the guys (LH, FA, SV) are using their go-kart numbers they used to run as kids. JB is running his WDC number from Brawn.

#72 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:13 AM

Most of the guys (LH, FA, SV) are using their go-kart numbers they used to run as kids. JB is running his WDC number from Brawn.

On my end, just for little stuff or track days, nothing serious -
I wanted to run 27 as that's the day i was born, but that's Casey Stoners number... so that went out
Then I figured 3 for the month of my birthday, but that's Biagi's number, so that's out
then I figured 7, because I like the number 7, but that's Carlos Checa's number, so that's out
I ran 11 once, and I kept being asked if I was a Ben Spies fan... so no more of that...

Going to the track on a bike and picking numbers, unless you want to be associated with a pro level rider, gotta pick carefully...

Now I try to run 22 or 25... 22 if possible and 25 if that number is already taken...

#73 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:54 AM

I've always ran 13, and if there's already a 13, 31 or if we have to run 3 digits 113, 133, 313, 331. I've always had a thing for odd prime numbers...

#74 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

I've ran 11, 13, 0 and 46. 46 because I'm a Vale fan obviously...but have always liked the idea of the number zero, and making "something out of nothing." At one autocross, zero wasn't even an option in the system, lol. 13 because that's my birthday number and i like making something unlucky, win. Oh yeah...and 11 because that was easy to put on with masking tape :)

#75 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Bernie steps down from the F1 Board...but plans on buying the 'Ring! Hmm...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users