12 replies to this topic

#1 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:40 AM

To anyone...anyone that has ever said racing isn't a sport...

http://www.wired.com...a/2008/pl_motor

Tell them to :madfawk: off!

#2 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:33 AM

I'm looking at you Alonso

#3 b7r

b7r

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Nascar

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:02 AM

Good article, I sent that to a guy at work who I've had this discussion with a few times.

#4 More&Faster

More&Faster

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:53 PM

the article doesnt really offer much info

i've been having this argument with my roommate forever

#5 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:57 PM

the article doesnt really offer much info

i've been having this argument with my roommate forever

It really doesn't. I got into this argument today after sending this to a coworker...and he breaks sports down into 2 things: physical attributes and mental attributes. And of course, there's that extra edge that some have, called talent.

I think we can all agree, that given enough time and practice, we can all do great things. Correct? So what gives professionals that edge, and gives the top players/drivers their "edge" over us mere mortals. This is my definition of talent.

He says that the 'natural given' physical attributes, like jumping, throwing, running are not needed for racing, unlike Football, Hockey...etc. My counter is that in racing, you have to be extremely fit to produce results, otherwise you suck. He counters that anyone can workout, and become fit, and that is developed, and not a talent. I also counter, that racing requires massive mental attributes since it's highly intellectual and it requires great hand to eye coordination. He agrees there, but says this can be developed, and is not talent.

Thoughts?

#6 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

It really doesn't. I got into this argument today after sending this to a coworker...and he breaks sports down into 2 things: physical attributes and mental attributes. And of course, there's that extra edge that some have, called talent.

I think we can all agree, that given enough time and practice, we can all do great things. Correct? So what gives professionals that edge, and gives the top players/drivers their "edge" over us mere mortals. This is my definition of talent.

He says that the 'natural given' physical attributes, like jumping, throwing, running are not needed for racing, unlike Football, Hockey...etc. My counter is that in racing, you have to be extremely fit to produce results, otherwise you suck. He counters that anyone can workout, and become fit, and that is developed, and not a talent. I also counter, that racing requires massive mental attributes since it's highly intellectual and it requires great hand to eye coordination. He agrees there, but says this can be developed, and is not talent.

Thoughts?

Reaction time is a huge part of athletics...think of a start of a 100m sprint. Obviously a F1 driver has world class reactions.

Also, I don't know if it's muscle control or muscle memory, but being able to consistently take lines around blind corners is some kind of attribute that goes beyond trained brain function. Like how a hitter shouldn't technically have time to think about a fastball...he has to predict it'll be a hittable pitch and his arms do the rest.

#7 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:18 PM

Reaction time is a huge part of athletics...think of a start of a 100m sprint. Obviously a F1 driver has world class reactions.

Also, I don't know if it's muscle control or muscle memory, but being able to consistently take lines around blind corners is some kind of attribute that goes beyond trained brain function. Like how a hitter shouldn't technically have time to think about a fastball...he has to predict it'll be a hittable pitch and his arms do the rest.

There are visual clues though for both of those...There are tell-tale signs that visibly show "hey, that's going to be a fast ball" just like I read a line at a track that says "I need to start braking here"

I think the real talent in a racer is def. not a physical attribute, but a strong mental attribute. Racers, IMO are probably one of the bravest & smartest of the athletes b/c they have to process information at speed like a supercomputer, have spatial awareness of their car, and the natural ability to feel weight transfer and make it connect with steering, brakes and gas. I believe you can only teach this to a certain degree. After which, it's strictly talent...

So yes, if you're only comparing physical attributes, than it wouldn't be much of a sport. I like to think of it as the smart man's sport :eek3:

#8 Skyliner

Skyliner

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:06 AM

Good article, I sent that to a guy at work who I've had this discussion with a few times.

Did you punch him in the throat too? Because you should have. :eek3:

#9 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:57 PM

Thoughts?

The physical and mental aspect of racing can be developed to a degree, but talent is what separates successful drivers from the rest, and that can't be developed nomatter how hard you try

It's just like any other sport - you can develop your skills in running, jumping, football, tennis, etc, to a degree, but most people will never get to a pro athlete's level, nomatter how hard they try, how hard they train.

Some years back I spent a huge amount of time on sim racing, which is mostly mental. I spent very unhealthy amounts of time practicing my driving as well as working on car setup. Even so at the world's top level there were some players who could just use my setup and go half a second quicker after a few laps, and if I used their setup I'd still be a second behind. I don't believe I could have possibly developed my driving skills further than back then, so it was clear that there were other players out there that were simply more talented.

As for the physical side of racing... just take whoever thinks lightly of the physical side karting.

#10 rlolz

rlolz

Formula Ford

• F1 Crew Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:59 PM

neat article but.. muscles built like a football player... like hamilton? :bowrofl:

#11 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:23 AM

Thoughts?

You've obviously never seen a 'natural' driver vs someone who's just practiced alot.

There's a pretty significant difference. You think Lewis Hamilton beat everyone in karting from essentially day 1 because he practiced more? You think Kimi practices more than Massa to be better?

#12 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

You've obviously never seen a 'natural' driver vs someone who's just practiced alot.

There's a pretty significant difference. You think Lewis Hamilton beat everyone in karting from essentially day 1 because he practiced more? You think Kimi practices more than Massa to be better?

Talent. I said that's what gives Kimi/LH that extra edge...

#13 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:35 PM

Talent. I said that's what gives Kimi/LH that extra edge...

Agreed. And also, all those guys who line up on the grid every race sunday were born with more talent then the rest of us, otherwise we'd (technically) all be able to make it into F1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users