Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:56 PM

http://www.itv.com/formula1/news/2011/5/vettel-worried-for-fans-in-stands-4202/

Kero - highlighting our discussion taht we talked about yesterday, even Webber thinks it's a bit artificial.

Catching them at 2.5s a lap has little to do with the DRS effect and more to do with tire deg. At most that DRS use in one straight might only put a -0.2s difference. If you're catching them at -2.5s a lap then DRS or not, the guy in front is gonna get passed.

I recall either Nick or Vitaly actually making the pass before getting onto the straight, only to still have use of the DRS to pull away from the guy behind because the detection zone is too early. It would be nice to run one race with no DRS to see what the true effect of it is, but that is not going to happen.

#27 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

Catching them at 2.5s a lap has little to do with the DRS effect and more to do with tire deg. At most that DRS use in one straight might only put a -0.2s difference. If you're catching them at -2.5s a lap then DRS or not, the guy in front is gonna get passed.

I recall either Nick or Vitaly actually making the pass before getting onto the straight, only to still have use of the DRS to pull away from the guy behind because the detection zone is too early. It would be nice to run one race with no DRS to see what the true effect of it is, but that is not going to happen.

:werd:

I don't think the detection zone was too early, I think the activation zone was just too long - people were overtaking just after the wing was down instead of diving inside under braking. It's a new idea, there are bound to be these kinds of problems.

#28 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Interests:F1, racing, women, steak, running, cycling.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:12 PM

monaco will not use DRS

#29 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

monaco will not use DRS

They decided to use DRS anyways.
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/91293

Either way, it's Monaco. If there is any passing at all then it's a good race there.

#30 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

Posted Image

DRS in monaco you say

#31 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

Posted Image

DRS in monaco you say

Her nip looks way off center :mamoru:

#32 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

ewww...

Yeah, i'd like to run a race w/o DRS. Just the idea of a passing zone makes it seem like a glorified track day to me, even now. That's the part that feels the most artificial to me. Might as well have Massa give Alonso a point-by on the straightaways :o

#33 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

ewww...

Yeah, i'd like to run a race w/o DRS. Just the idea of a passing zone makes it seem like a glorified track day to me, even now. That's the part that feels the most artificial to me. Might as well have Massa give Alonso a point-by on the straightaways :o

I think 90% of the passing is tire based and not DRS, but no DRS at Monaco is no way to prove that theory :mamoru:

#34 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

Her nip looks way off center :mamoru:

Turkish boob job, ugh.

#35 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

Turkish boob job, ugh.

I've heard of wall-eyed, but wall-tittied? :confused:

Anyway I really don't think DRS will have that much of an effect in other Tilke-dromes. Basically because on fresh tires the guys can take corner 11 flat vs. those on old tires are lifting.

We were seeing speed differentials of about 10kph at the end of the straight. Assuming they came out of corner 11 at the same speeds and bumper to bumper, and the 10kph speed increase over the guy being passed was linear (not quite, but hear me out...), and they are on the straight for 5 seconds, the DRS would only gain roughly 7m of ground. Considering that you need to gain at least ~5m to be alongside (or ~10m to be ahead) under braking I don't think this was the case, where most of the passing was already completed early to mid way down the straight. It is clearly a combination of KERS, DRS and more importantly the exit speed out of C11.

#36 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

I've heard of wall-eyed, but wall-tittied? :confused:

it's like a tuesday morning at a strip club :wtc:

#37 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Interests:F1, racing, women, steak, running, cycling.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

They decided to use DRS anyways.
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/91293

Either way, it's Monaco. If there is any passing at all then it's a good race there.

Ah! Vacation fail... Or perhaps win? I feel pretty disconnected and relaxed :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users