Does being new to the top of sport make you an ass?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:12 PM

Alonso before becoming world champ wasn't as much as an ass, then he became a 2 time world champ and became emonso the dick...
now, he's starting to be cool again (to me at least), he goes out, does his thing and is impressive considering he's driving that renault...

now... Lewis, when he started driving was a cool guy, got a couple race wins under his belt and became an ass... still on his "i came in second in the wdc" high, this season he seems worse than the end of last season...

sooo... does that make sense?

#2 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:34 PM

I think I can speak for all when I say that J Villeneuve is a silly cunt

#3 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:21 PM

Alonso before becoming world champ wasn't as much as an ass, then he became a 2 time world champ and became emonso the dick...
now, he's starting to be cool again (to me at least), he goes out, does his thing and is impressive considering he's driving that renault...

now... Lewis, when he started driving was a cool guy, got a couple race wins under his belt and became an ass... still on his "i came in second in the wdc" high, this season he seems worse than the end of last season...

sooo... does that make sense?

:o ^ 11ty...

I think I can speak for all when I say that J Villeneuve is a silly cunt

:D ^ googleplex...

#4 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:52 AM

kimi was never an ass :o

#5 draobpi

draobpi

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:01 AM

Posted Image

Hey, get your eyes corrected !

#6 F1

F1

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:10 AM

I think people lost sight of the fact that Lewis is 23, has been working to get where he is since he was 10 or younger, and has had an enormous amount of success so far. And as everyone knows you have to have the attitude to win in F1. So I think it's a combination of his immaturity and confidence that makes him come off negatively to some people. Plus it's kind of a trip to see someone younger than yourself in such a position so maybe that adds to the cocky perceptions.

And I think we're seeing Alonso maturing now. Today on ITV he took responsibility for his spin, even when the lady asked him if the race organizers should be blamed/punished for the conditions and his accident, he said he messed up.

I'm sure Schumi was the same as Alonso and Lewis in the beginning of his career, Senna was the same, maturing is just a part of life, even for F1 drivers.

#7 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:00 AM

kimi was never an ass :o

He might be, but he mumbles so much we'd never know.

#8 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

I think people lost sight of the fact that Lewis is 23, has been working to get where he is since he was 10 or younger, and has had an enormous amount of success so far. And as everyone knows you have to have the attitude to win in F1. So I think it's a combination of his immaturity and confidence that makes him come off negatively to some people. Plus it's kind of a trip to see someone younger than yourself in such a position so maybe that adds to the cocky perceptions.

And I think we're seeing Alonso maturing now. Today on ITV he took responsibility for his spin, even when the lady asked him if the race organizers should be blamed/punished for the conditions and his accident, he said he messed up.

I'm sure Schumi was the same as Alonso and Lewis in the beginning of his career, Senna was the same, maturing is just a part of life, even for F1 drivers.

TBH, I liked the younger Lewis. Now I'm starting to see a side of him that looks dark and ominous where he is cocky and a little more arrogant about his skills...it's really being highlighted after Canada... I hope the Stig beats him if he comes back to the Top Gear test track :rofl:

#9 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:37 PM

Posted Image

Hey, get your eyes corrected !

:rofl:

#10 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:42 AM

TBH, I liked the younger (more uncle tom like) Lewis. Now I'm starting to see a black man with a chip on his shoulder where he feels he deserves more just because he's black... it's really being highlighted after Canada... I hope the Stig beats him if he comes back to the Top Gear test track :(

fixed :o

#11 marone

marone

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:10 AM

i definately thinks you are spot on but there is a reason behind it.

from childhood they have to believe that they can beat anybody and that they are the absolute best.

Once they win that belief is then backed up with proof and the ego takes over. they also have a lot of people telling them how awesome they are.

it would be hard to stay normal when they have never really had a normal life.

#12 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:13 AM

i definately thinks you are spot on but there is a reason behind it.

from childhood they have to believe that they can beat anybody and that they are the absolute best.

Once they win that belief is then backed up with proof and the ego takes over. they also have a lot of people telling them how awesome they are.

it would be hard to stay normal when they have never really had a normal life.

it's called BAD parenting, and it happens all to often these days, even with slightly better than average kids. At least Lewis is God's gift to Ron, and Sutils back side. :rofl:

#13 marone

marone

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:25 AM

it's called BAD parenting, and it happens all to often these days, even with slightly better than average kids. At least Lewis is God's gift to Ron, and Sutils back side. :rofl:

i dont think its that. These guys are living overseas and travelling the world racing karts and earning money just when they hit puberty.

they never had jobs like paper rounds, missed a lot of school if they even went at all. They hang out all weekend with the people they are trying to beat. Its not a normal life. And i dont consider it to be bad parenting because you couldn't take the opportunity away from your kids.

#14 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

i dont think its that. These guys are living overseas and travelling the world racing karts and earning money just when they hit puberty.

they never had jobs like paper rounds, missed a lot of school if they even went at all. They hang out all weekend with the people they are trying to beat. Its not a normal life. And i dont consider it to be bad parenting because you couldn't take the opportunity away from your kids.

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but I was living overseas and travelling the world when I hit puberty. I had my first job when I was a jr in college. Granted I didn't have quite the lifestyle these guys have, nor the competitive circle in which they live in I still don't think it's excusable to come off like you are the second coming of Jesus on any day of the week.

I have friends that I grew up with that will never have to work a day in their life and still have a comfortable lifestyle, but I could never imagine any of them sitting around just waiting for money to be handed to them or talk like they are the second coming of Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad or what have you.

Especially since parents like Anthony Hamilton are there with their kid every step of the way. I don't think you need to take the kid out of that environment to teach them a little sense and humility. I'm not saying that the Hamiltons didn't have that, but lately, there have been times when Lewis just needs to put a lid on it, and no one has been there to tell him so. He was a polite nice young man when he came into F1, and I thought he was well rounded and just as well mannered with talent oozing out of every where.

But the "lack of" parenting or guidance in Hamilton's life lately had cause him to loose a lot of respect from fans and peers alike. He is still a kid no matter how you look at it. I didn't know shit at 22, and now that I'm 28, I can only say I know a little bit more and have experienced a little bit more. I'm not the second coming of jesus, and I wouldn't act like I was no matter how good at something I was.

I really believe Lewis's attitude has changed a lot over the course of the winter, and a lot of the things he's said lately should have remained as thoughts in his head.

#15 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:16 PM

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but I was living overseas and travelling the world when I hit puberty. I had my first job when I was a jr in college. Granted I didn't have quite the lifestyle these guys have, nor the competitive circle in which they live in I still don't think it's excusable to come off like you are the second coming of Jesus on any day of the week.

I have friends that I grew up with that will never have to work a day in their life and still have a comfortable lifestyle, but I could never imagine any of them sitting around just waiting for money to be handed to them or talk like they are the second coming of Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad or what have you.

Especially since parents like Anthony Hamilton are there with their kid every step of the way. I don't think you need to take the kid out of that environment to teach them a little sense and humility. I'm not saying that the Hamiltons didn't have that, but lately, there have been times when Lewis just needs to put a lid on it, and no one has been there to tell him so. He was a polite nice young man when he came into F1, and I thought he was well rounded and just as well mannered with talent oozing out of every where.

But the "lack of" parenting or guidance in Hamilton's life lately had cause him to loose a lot of respect from fans and peers alike. He is still a kid no matter how you look at it. I didn't know shit at 22, and now that I'm 28, I can only say I know a little bit more and have experienced a little bit more. I'm not the second coming of jesus, and I wouldn't act like I was no matter how good at something I was.

I really believe Lewis's attitude has changed a lot over the course of the winter, and a lot of the things he's said lately should have remained as thoughts in his head.

Living overseas and having your entire life and livelihood based in a competitive environment are a bit different.

Same with your friends that never have to work a day in their lives. Their entire income doesn't hinge on them being the best, and step 1 to that is believing you're the best.

And while you didn't know shit at 22, like most of us didn't, I'd be willing to bet that someone would be hard pressed to convince you of that fact when you were 22, also like most of the rest of us.

#16 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Interests:F1, racing, women, steak, running, cycling.

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

Living overseas and having your entire life and livelihood based in a competitive environment are a bit different.

Same with your friends that never have to work a day in their lives. Their entire income doesn't hinge on them being the best, and step 1 to that is believing you're the best.

And while you didn't know shit at 22, like most of us didn't, I'd be willing to bet that someone would be hard pressed to convince you of that fact when you were 22, also like most of the rest of us.

22 was not that long ago... 3 years. i thought was the shit :run:

but i still do :cool:

#17 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:02 PM

I think a big part is rooting for the underdog.

Like rooting for emo in '05, hammy in the first 1/2 of last season, or the giants in this years superbowl.

And I also think part of it is maybe feeling privileged/cool when you're a fan of something not mainstream...like an underground or local band that you start to dislike when they get big/"sell out".

#18 marone

marone

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:47 AM

But the "lack of" parenting or guidance in Hamilton's life lately had cause him to loose a lot of respect from fans and peers alike. He is still a kid no matter how you look at it. I didn't know shit at 22, and now that I'm 28, I can only say I know a little bit more and have experienced a little bit more. I'm not the secondcoming of jesus, and I wouldn't act like I was no matter how good at something I was.

Fair enough, but you and a few other kimi fans on here seem to have an extremely negative opinion of anything that lewis says or does.
i dont see any of what some believe is a hamilton bias in f1 and the media in general and i definately dont see any superiority complex or arrogance either. The only change i've seen in lewis is a bit more reassurance of the confidence that he had last year.

Alonso busted his balls all year outside of the car and he handled it like a mature adult should. I certainly wouldnt have. He has been supportive of heikki as his new team mate.

And i understand that this will be disputed but find an impartial witness to read the thread where kimi slammed into sutil and then the one when hamilton slammed into kimi and ask if they notice a difference in attitudes.

Mistakes are mistakes. I saw lewis make an apologetic gesture towards kimi. I see lewis jump out of the car and be the first to shake kimi's, massa's and everyone elses hand after they do well. He compliments other drivers in the tv interviews after quali or a race. I never heard about kimi's apology to sutil.

What is one thing he has said this year that should have remained a thought in his head in your opinion?

#19 marone

marone

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:48 AM

Like rooting for emo in '05, hammy in the first 1/2 of last season, or the giants in this years superbowl.

And I also think part of it is maybe feeling privileged/cool when you're a fan of something not mainstream...like an underground or local band that you start to dislike when they get big/"sell out".

Hit the nail on the head. Thats exactly what i think it is.

Doesn't explain kimi's success without the masses turning on him. Maybe it's the "treat them mean, keep them keen" method.

#20 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

And i understand that this will be disputed but find an impartial witness to read the thread where kimi slammed into sutil and then the one when hamilton slammed into kimi and ask if they notice a difference in attitudes.

I saw lewis make an apologetic gesture towards kimi.

What is one thing he has said this year that should have remained a thought in his head in your opinion?

Being a Kimi fan, after he ran into Sutil I was one of the ones that said that was fucked and he screwed up royally, you can go back to the thread if you'd like to see. Losing control while at Monaco in the wet, i can understand, slamming into the back of a car while they are stopped at a red light in the pits, then saying the rule is a stupid rule is pretty lame.

it's not so much a "one thing" he said, it's more of his overall attitude of superiority.

If you drive for Ferrari or McLaren, you're no longer an underdog in my view, you've got one of the top cars on the grid. Driving for Super Aguri and passing a 2 time WDC and WCC champ, now that's an underdog move right there...

#21 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:59 PM

Being a Kimi fan, after he ran into Sutil I was one of the ones that said that was fucked and he screwed up royally, you can go back to the thread if you'd like to see. Losing control while at Monaco in the wet, i can understand, slamming into the back of a car while they are stopped at a red light in the pits, then saying the rule is a stupid rule is pretty lame.

it's not so much a "one thing" he said, it's more of his overall attitude of superiority.

If you drive for Ferrari or McLaren, you're no longer an underdog in my view, you've got one of the top cars on the grid. Driving for Super Aguri and passing a 2 time WDC and WCC champ, now that's an underdog move right there...

:eek:

#22 marone

marone

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:17 AM

Im not saying it's all kimi fans and i do know that some people thought it was fucked but more along the lines of poor sutil instead of kimi's a prick.

It is a stupid rule but i agree that its not an excuse. Hamilton fucked up. tThough if you are leaving your pit box there is more chance you may be looking in your mirrors and not to mention rosberg hit lewis. In my opinion, pit lane is a fair bit more chaotic than any other part of a race.

Trying to pass someone who is usually a backmarker but under massive pressure while up the front on a wet track thats nearly impossible to pass on after a safety car is not the greatest idea either in my opinion so i dont accept kimi's speed excuse either.

Now kimi is saying that hamilton deserves his penalty to the media. If roles were reversed there would be a massive whinge here and that cannot be denied.

#23 marone

marone

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:49 AM

One last thing while im at it. Im not only a fan of hamilton but quite a lot of the other drivers as well including kimi and massa.

the difference is that its only the kimi/ferrari guys on here that are haters. it was the same with the schumacher fans and thats what divides this sport in my opinion.

sure by all means be a massive fan/devotee of one driver but when you spend more time ragging on your drivers best competition than you do on your chosen ones accomplishments then maybe you need to take a step back and think about it.

I dont whinge about kimi so why do i have to listen to you guys cry about lewis?

#24 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:22 PM

It is a stupid rule but i agree that its not an excuse. Hamilton fucked up.

I didn't think there was much discussion to be had there, but rather the rule/situation itself was a better discussion point. :eek3:

#25 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:02 PM

Im not saying it's all kimi fans and i do know that some people thought it was fucked but more along the lines of poor sutil instead of kimi's a prick.

It is a stupid rule but i agree that its not an excuse. Hamilton fucked up. tThough if you are leaving your pit box there is more chance you may be looking in your mirrors and not to mention rosberg hit lewis. In my opinion, pit lane is a fair bit more chaotic than any other part of a race.

Trying to pass someone who is usually a backmarker but under massive pressure while up the front on a wet track thats nearly impossible to pass on after a safety car is not the greatest idea either in my opinion so i dont accept kimi's speed excuse either.

Now kimi is saying that hamilton deserves his penalty to the media. If roles were reversed there would be a massive whinge here and that cannot be denied.

the difference between the Kimi incident and lewis incident
Kimi = wet track + while racing + monaco + lost control
Lewis = dry track + limited speed in pit + 2 cars stopped + not paying attention to lights

If I'm leaving my pit box and I'm at the end of the pitlane, I would be looking in my mirrors, but McLaren were in the middle pit box, by that time, he should've been done looking at his mirrors and completely merged onto the pit lane. Also, Rosberg admitted himself he wasn't looking at the lights and he admitted fault and that he should be penalized.

I do agree 100% that the SC rule right now is horrible and they should have a "SC Rev/Speed" limit button, and I do agree that having the light at the end of the pitlane active during a race period is a bad idea, BUT it is there for a reason, and as long as it's on, and as long as it's in the rules, people should be paying attention to it. Kimi didn't have a problem seeing it, Kubica didn't have a problem seeing it. How everyone else has a problem seeing it is beyond me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users