#201 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:56 AM

So what's everyone's opinion about whether Lewis made the pass even before he went over the curbs?

I though he did make the pass successfully, but he made no attempt to turn after the pass. vettel made a very good point, because it was so close, lewis should have just let vettel back through anyways, as he was bound to get vettel back in the next few corners. It was only a matter of when, not if.

edit: it does seem like the FIA are generally not giving the benefit of the doubt to McLaren, so they have have to behave more to the rules than everyone else. and before anyone starts, you simply CANNOT compare kimi ramming sutil to lewis ramming kimi or nico ramming lewis. One's a racing incident, the other it not paying attention to the rules/lights. Even though it's a shit rule.

#202 marone

marone

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:06 AM

I though he did make the pass successfully, but he made no attempt to turn after the pass. vettel made a very good point, because it was so close, lewis should have just let vettel back through anyways, as he was bound to get vettel back in the next few corners. It was only a matter of when, not if.

edit: it does seem like the FIA are generally not giving the benefit of the doubt to McLaren, so they have have to behave more to the rules than everyone else. and before anyone starts, you simply CANNOT compare kimi ramming sutil to lewis ramming kimi or nico ramming lewis. One's a racing incident, the other it not paying attention to the rules/lights. Even though it's a shit rule.

yes you can compare because that period between 5 red lights going out and the chequered flag waving is called a race.

#203 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:33 AM

So what's everyone's opinion about whether Lewis made the pass even before he went over the curbs?

Finally, James Allen had something half decent to say

He said that if there was a wall on the outside of the chicane instead of astroturf, Ham sandwich wouldn't have tried the move. Hamilton didn't overtake illegally - he did however gain an advantage by cutting the course.

Easy decision, rightly made aswell.

#204 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:33 PM

Finally, James Allen had something half decent to say

He said that if there was a wall on the outside of the chicane instead of astroturf, Ham sandwich wouldn't have tried the move. Hamilton didn't overtake illegally - he did however gain an advantage by cutting the course.

Easy decision, rightly made aswell.

:hs:

he had no chance to make the turn after he passed, he was way too hot and off the line...

#205 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:34 PM

yes you can compare because that period between 5 red lights going out and the chequered flag waving is called a race.

no you can't. another way you can look at it is that while under the safety car period the rules are different.

#206 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:52 PM

But you can't race around a track while there are safety workers that are clearing the track. Last thing F1 needs is a tragic accident involving a corner-worker...a race is a race but you can't say it's okay to let an F1 car back out on track at speed while people are out there...

#207 F1

F1

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

I think the Hamilton penalty was garbage. First of all, he completed the pass before the chicane, and when he tried to make the turn he almost lost the car and to save it he had to cut it. It's a high speed chicane anyways, I can't imagine it made a bit of difference.

Also having watched it again, the only reason Jesus didn't make the turn is because his front wing was washed out by the car ahead.

At the 1:05 mark

#208 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

Fox delayed faggotron coverage just ended...so many damn commercials. :mad: + a reminder they will cover British GP too. :wtc:
Kimi has shit for luck. Massa wasn't a dick! Impressive showing.
Trulli's launch = :o I knew that nig would get a great start.
Kubica at least managing damage control when BMW clearly don't have pace. WTF did Heidfeld finish anyway?
Humbledton = :rofl: ramming everyone out of his way lol.
Nice try Hiekki.
Piquet didn't crash!
Alonso :hs:

Oh and FUCK FOX for cutting podium celebration and post race interview in case I forgot to mention.

P.S. the ham-only coverage for the 1st 1/3rd of the race was ridiculous.

MOTHERFUCKING :werd:

FUCK FOX coverage!

#209 Skyliner

Skyliner

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

Hamilton just have just let him back through JTBS (just to be sure).

I'm thinking in the last couple of races, the high expectations based on Hamilton's performance last year are affecting him negatively. :o

#210 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:01 PM

I think the Hamilton penalty was garbage. First of all, he completed the pass before the chicane, and when he tried to make the turn he almost lost the car and to save it he had to cut it. It's a high speed chicane anyways, I can't imagine it made a bit of difference.

Also having watched it again, the only reason Jesus didn't make the turn is because his front wing was washed out by the car ahead.

At the 1:05 mark

if he tried the same move at Monaco, at the Nouvelle Chicane right after the tunnel, and cut the corner (not completely, but say missed the first one chicane bit) would you say he completed the pass or not?

#211 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

and i hate to say this, but with Fox's fake HD, it looks tons better than what Speed shows on my end... image quality is leaps ahead... and it's wide screen

:o

I noticed this too.

If only we could get fox's picture and speed's actual show :werd:

#212 F1

F1

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:47 PM

if he tried the same move at Monaco, at the Nouvelle Chicane right after the tunnel, and cut the corner (not completely, but say missed the first one chicane bit) would you say he completed the pass or not?

That's different, it's a low speed corner, if he missed the chicane there then it's his own fault and would either be caused because he went in too hot or because someone forced him inside. At France he would have made the chicane had his front wing not been washed out. He was past Vettel before the chicane, it's not like Vettel forced him wide because he didn't have the position. All in all, a weak case could be made for penalizing him, I think it was unnecessary.

The Speed channel guys are pretty sharp about those types of things, and no one mentioned it on the broadcast and I doubt McLaren thought it was a big deal either which is why no one, including Lewis, thought he should let Vettel back through.

#213 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:19 AM

Watching that replay, Lewis had that pass - he was even on the racing line to make the turn-in. But he got real close and I think his front-wing did wash-out causing a lack of front-end grip...IMO he had that. But he was a tad hot, that's for sure. It's really open to interpretation tho and it could've swung either way....this time it swung against LH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users