251 replies to this topic

#26 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:43 PM

Nothing to indicate he would be an improvement over Felipe at Ferrari. On top of that, Felipe has time and time again shown loyalty to Ferrari, whereas it would be likely Webber would not take a job requiring a supporting role again.

I'm not stumping for him at all, Felipe's done a bang up job recently. It's just the only seat I see him taking, even if the odds of it happening are tiny.

#27 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

There's been a rumour that he's signed with Porsche for a while now.

I hope he retires from F1 while he is still decently competitive and doesn't hang around like a bad smell the way JV and some others have.

#28 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

Nothing to indicate he would be an improvement over Felipe at Ferrari. On top of that, Felipe has time and time again shown loyalty to Ferrari, whereas it would be likely Webber would not take a job requiring a supporting role again.

especially if Vettel is moving to Ferrari in the near future...

#29 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:26 AM

This blog by Will Buxton is doing the rounds at the moment http://willthef1jour...e-game-changer/ What do you guys think, a new hope for harder racing or a load of bullshit?

So ask yourself. What did Ferrari do on Sunday?

Did they drive to a delta? Did they try and make one fewer stop than their rivals? Did they hell. They went out and they pushed. Every. Single. Lap.

#30 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:01 AM

This blog by Will Buxton is doing the rounds at the moment http://willthef1jour...e-game-changer/ What do you guys think, a new hope for harder racing or a load of bullshit?

Sadly, watching Massa drive in the latter part of the races...it was clear Massa still couldn't attack the corners as aggressively as he could have. I love the show that we have now, but I do want to see the cars driven 10/10ths too...

It can always be better, but I'll take this for now, lol.

#31 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

it's kinda what I've been asking for for the past few years... you race to win, not race to a time or "team orders"... that's bullshit to me...

Spain was interesting tire wise...
Alonso pushed from the start and won by 10 seconds with 4 pits
Kimi used 3 sets of mediums and 1 set of hards with 3 pits and came in second
Mercedes were completely caught out and so was McLaren...

Between Alonso/Ferrari and Kimi/Lotus, they pretty much threw the theory of "the tires are too soft" out the window... get your car straight and tell your driver to do their job... stop blaming the tires...

#32 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

it's kinda what I've been asking for for the past few years... you race to win, not race to a time or "team orders"... that's bullshit to me...

Spain was interesting tire wise...
Alonso pushed from the start and won by 10 seconds with 4 pits
Kimi used 3 sets of mediums and 1 set of hards with 3 pits and came in second
Mercedes were completely caught out and so was McLaren...

Between Alonso/Ferrari and Kimi/Lotus, they pretty much threw the theory of "the tires are too soft" out the window... get your car straight and tell your driver to do their job... stop blaming the tires...

lol. but what if they can't get their car straight like MB? Your tires just fall off for no reason...

#33 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

lol. but what if they can't get their car straight like MB? Your tires just fall off for no reason...

that's their problem to figure out... obviously other teams can finish a race at pace... it's not up to pirelli to fix a teams tire wear problem if other teams are competitive...
Mercedes know how to do a single lap quali run, so it's not like they don't know how to use a tire, they just need to figure out a balance to actually finish a race without getting lapped...

#34 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

that's their problem to figure out... obviously other teams can finish a race at pace... it's not up to pirelli to fix a teams tire wear problem if other teams are competitive...
Mercedes know how to do a single lap quali run, so it's not like they don't know how to use a tire, they just need to figure out a balance to actually finish a race without getting lapped...

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. But even if MB did 4 stops, they didn't have the pace... Their tires fell off too badly. Their aero package must be extremely aggressive...that's why they have such a fast single lap. Tires get hot fast, but can't hold it together over an entire race distance because tires simply get too hot.

Having said that, why's the number of stops matter? Yes yes, you lose time in the pits. But at the rate MB was going backwards, I wonder if MB could've done 5-6 stops and gotten a better result? Why not approach it the wary Ferrari did and just attack flat out. Add more stops if necessary...let the drivers run 110% quali pace the entire time. I"d love to see MB try that since nothing else is working right now...

#35 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. But even if MB did 4 stops, they didn't have the pace... Their tires fell off too badly. Their aero package must be extremely aggressive...that's why they have such a fast single lap. Tires get hot fast, but can't hold it together over an entire race distance because tires simply get too hot.

Having said that, why's the number of stops matter? Yes yes, you lose time in the pits. But at the rate MB was going backwards, I wonder if MB could've done 5-6 stops and gotten a better result? Why not approach it the wary Ferrari did and just attack flat out. Add more stops if necessary...let the drivers run 110% quali pace the entire time. I"d love to see MB try that since nothing else is working right now...

If it was just aggressive aero then they could reduce the wing angle, lower quali pace and have better race pace. Their problem is deeper, possibly by building a car that is optimized for air flow too much over suspension travel geometry design they have a car that is super fast (really good aero) but mechanically compromised. Not something they can likely fix over this season without building a new chassis/suspension setup. On tracks where tire wear is less aggressive they could end up being dominant.

Years ago we complained that there was too much emphasis on aero and not enough on mechanical grip. The racing was boring as hell and the team with the best aero (read: the team that had Adrian Newey) won. Now there is a design compromise between mechanical and aero and people are throwing a fit, saying drivers have to drive to a delta, the team that can use the tires well always wins.

That being said, I'm a bit surprised that Ross Brawn, who was always regarded as one of the best "mechanical" designers in F1, is struggling so much with the tire wear issue. My hunch is Merc top brass was screaming in his ear to build a fast car, and in the pursuit of outright speed they were caught out a bit by the tires. Lotus seem to have noticed the tires would be a big issue in 2013 early on and optimized their design accordingly.

It's too easy to blame the tires. The teams are professionals and they will adapt. Ferrari just showed that flat out can be as quick as a delta sans 1 pit stop, as long as tire wear is borderline between two strategies. If Pirelli has a knee jerk reaction and makes the tires so that everyone two stops, with Ferrari winning on a 3 stopper, how does that change what happened? Basically the teams not winning are whining for the window to be in their favor. I'm sure Red Bull and Merc want more durable tires, Lotus is happy if they're equal or less durable.

Just sit back and enjoy the show ;)

#36 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

If it was just aggressive aero then they could reduce the wing angle, lower quali pace and have better race pace. Their problem is deeper, possibly by building a car that is optimized for air flow too much over suspension travel geometry design they have a car that is super fast (really good aero) but mechanically compromised. Not something they can likely fix over this season without building a new chassis/suspension setup. On tracks where tire wear is less aggressive they could end up being dominant.

Years ago we complained that there was too much emphasis on aero and not enough on mechanical grip. The racing was boring as hell and the team with the best aero (read: the team that had Adrian Newey) won. Now there is a design compromise between mechanical and aero and people are throwing a fit, saying drivers have to drive to a delta, the team that can use the tires well always wins.

That being said, I'm a bit surprised that Ross Brawn, who was always regarded as one of the best "mechanical" designers in F1, is struggling so much with the tire wear issue. My hunch is Merc top brass was screaming in his ear to build a fast car, and in the pursuit of outright speed they were caught out a bit by the tires. Lotus seem to have noticed the tires would be a big issue in 2013 early on and optimized their design accordingly.

It's too easy to blame the tires. The teams are professionals and they will adapt. Ferrari just showed that flat out can be as quick as a delta sans 1 pit stop, as long as tire wear is borderline between two strategies. If Pirelli has a knee jerk reaction and makes the tires so that everyone two stops, with Ferrari winning on a 3 stopper, how does that change what happened? Basically the teams not winning are whining for the window to be in their favor. I'm sure Red Bull and Merc want more durable tires, Lotus is happy if they're equal or less durable.

Well put! RB/MB needs a cup of STFU IMO. And like I said, I much rather have this then what it was...sure it'd be nice to have drivers ALSO going 10/10ths...but I can't win it all. If you don't like F1 now, then find another series to watch.

I cannot go back to watching a procession of cars where qualifying determined the winner.

#37 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

I cannot go back to watching a procession of cars where qualifying determined the winner.

I totally agree with you guys on this, but I am surprised the (writers) media which reports these garbage stories don't point this out enough (but then again I understand they are just paid to print what is being said). I think any one who has watch F1 over the last 15 years will tell you this is the some of the most exciting racing we have had over the last one and a half decades and it's happening almost every race. I remember how we used to sit through a bunch of crappy races to get one good race, compared to now where we will have maybe 1 crappy race per every 5 races.

I take what we have now over anything from the last 15 years.

But I have a question, are the tyres this yr that much more different from last yr? Why didn't Pirelli just keep the rubber from last yr?

#38 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Good news!!!!
Pirelli is going to change their tire compounds to something less aggressive.... something close to 2011/2012 levels

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/107421

:squint:

#39 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Good news!!!!
Pirelli is going to change their tire compounds to something less aggressive.... something close to 2011/2012 levels

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/107421

:squint:

It actually really doesn't matter...push for delta vs go flat out. They can still go flat out on new tire compounds as well. I hope the teams have learned that 2 mediums and one hard stint going flat out is better than 1 hard 1 soft stint trying to take it easy... If they're smart...

When I say "They" I really just mean Ferrari and Lotus. lol.

#40 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

It actually really doesn't matter...push for delta vs go flat out. They can still go flat out on new tire compounds as well. I hope the teams have learned that 2 mediums and one hard stint going flat out is better than 1 hard 1 soft stint trying to take it easy... If they're smart...

When I say "They" I really just mean Ferrari and Lotus. lol.

I wonder how this is going to change the championship... :(

Now that teams are getting tires that wear "better" are the teams like Ferrari/Lotus going to benefit any? Or will we see a massive leap forward by RB. They've all had the same compounds from the beginning...and Ferrari/Lotus made better use of it. This is kind of unfair actually.

#41 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

I wonder how this is going to change the championship... :(

Now that teams are getting tires that wear "better" are the teams like Ferrari/Lotus going to benefit any? Or will we see a massive leap forward by RB. They've all had the same compounds from the beginning...and Ferrari/Lotus made better use of it. This is kind of unfair actually.

Ecclestone and Mastershits getting their panties in a bunch leads me to guess that RBR (read: the golden boy Vettel) has the most to gain from the re-formulation of the tires, with Lotus likely losing out the most (now everyone will probably be on the same pit windows).

There obviously has to be a compromise, but overall it benefits the midfield teams. The people who qualify at the front just want to drive away and not have any hassle. But you want to be able to get the midfield teams up there and be able to do something different.

We tune our car to be a bit lighter on tyres, to make it better in the race because ultimately we know we're not going to qualify on pole. So I'm happy, and I think the midfield teams are good with it.

#42 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Ecclestone and Mastershits getting their panties in a bunch leads me to guess that RBR (read: the golden boy Vettel) has the most to gain from the re-formulation of the tires, with Lotus likely losing out the most (now everyone will probably be on the same pit windows).

I might turn off F1 at the end of the season if Vettel just starts winning this straight up after the tire re-formulation...

(empty threat I know but it really pisses me off!)

#43 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

I might turn off F1 at the end of the season if Vettel just starts winning this straight up after the tire re-formulation...

(empty threat I know but it really pisses me off!)

So, a 2011 Spanish GP where Vettel wins on 4 stops is ace. This year he stops 4 times and it's the end of 'racing'. Am I missing something?

https://twitter.com/NobleF1/status/334288966536802305

:rofl:

#44 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

I've watched 10mins of it here at work and find it deeply engrossing. I'll have to finish at home but I think you guys will like it too. From the Youtube Description:

Published on May 11, 2013
Dr Gary Hartstein, M.D. is the former FIA Medical Delegate for the Formula One World Championship. Gary has been key in developing some of the FIA's new approaches and policies in terms of medical safety.

In 1997 Gary joined Professor Sid Watkins in the Formula 1 Medical Car and in 2005 he became the "Formula 1 Doctor" when Sid retired. At the end of 2012 Gary did not have his contract renewed as Formula One Medical Delegate.

I sat down with Gary at his home in Liège to talk about his life in Formula 1 and how it ended.

http://www.youtube.c...?v=UBXWbTuNEl8#!

#45 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

Not groundbreaking news, but:

http://www.gpupdate....rmula-1-return/

#46 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

:bowdown:

Get on that program, lol.

#47 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:16 AM

you know what i'm going to say :mamoru:

#48 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

:bowdown:

Get on that program, lol.

Do not want to move to Tochigi. Also, not my field of expertise, better fit for yons.

#49 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Do not want to move to Tochigi. Also, not my field of expertise, better fit for yons.

That rumor didn't last long...

http://en.espnf1.com...ory/108157.html

Honda confirms return to F1 in 2015

#50 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

This is cool, but isn't this a huge risk for Macca? They're kinda starting over twice - new regs next year, new engine supplier year after. And Honda will be a year behind everyone else's refinements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users