153 replies to this topic

#126 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:17 PM

I don't look down at any of the pay drivers right now...it's nigh impossible to get a drive without a big sponsor nowadays.

#127 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:50 AM

Same with Sergio, Petrov, etc.

No chance in hell Louise would have had his first ride at mclaren if he weren't british.

Petrov has been a rolling joke for a while now, with only a handful of flashes of talent. Perez is the only one who's even remotely shown promise out of that group, but he didn't displace anyone who's obviously much more talented.

Meanwhile, Lewis has shown multiple times that he's fully deserving of where he is. Who else on the grid would have given Fred such a hard time their rookie season?

#128 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:35 AM

Petrov has been a rolling joke for a while now, with only a handful of flashes of talent. Perez is the only one who's even remotely shown promise out of that group, but he didn't displace anyone who's obviously much more talented.

Meanwhile, Lewis has shown multiple times that he's fully deserving of where he is. Who else on the grid would have given Fred such a hard time their rookie season?

I'm not saying Hamilton isn't a better driver than Maldonado, but it's impossible to tell how a GP2 driver will do until you give him the seat. Shit, he only pipped Nelsinho by 12 points in GP2. You can't tell if a guy is going to be a Timo/Grosjean or a Hamilton/Hulkenburg until you give him the drive.

If Hamilton were in GP2 right now there'd be 0 chance he'd get a drive without a sponsor.

If Hamilton were Canadian or Mexican, there would have been 0 chance of him getting the macca seat in 2008.

#129 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:59 AM

Hammy had been being prepped by macca for years though...

#130 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:12 AM

It will have a lot more to do with him than Alonso. And you're wrong about Maldonado, senor R, plane wrong. Midfield teams like that need points more than they need individual effots for...sixth place. So instead of a sixth and tenth, Williams ends up with a 9th.

Just like last year Fred is the only hope, sorry to dissapoint.

#131 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:29 AM

I ran a 1:13:272 at Monaco in the Ferrari F10 today :wiggle: .... in GT5 :o

#132 TimzSI

TimzSI

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:39 AM

Sato putting it into the wall at Indy REALLLLLY early. My only thought? Yeaaa, that's about right. :mamoru: Still hope he can make some inroads into Indy.

DickAction, that argument is just beyond me. If he weren't born there? So you're saying British teams only hire British drivers? Neg. Are you saying he shouldn't get a leg up because he was born there? Life is a game of chance, maybe you're born a bedouin camel humper, maybe you're Dominique Strauss-Khan. Talent will out, however.

Vietlol, that shit box isn't going anywhere near the top step of the podium this year. :rofl:

#133 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:35 AM

Hammy had been being prepped by macca for years though...

Yes, but he got that sponsorship with talent. Same as Vettel at Red Bull.

He didn't come from a rich country looking to make a name for itself like Venezuela w/ Maldonado, or a racing family like Piquet Jr or Michael/Marco Andretti, and skated into a seat primarily on his name.

#134 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:40 AM

If Hamilton were Canadian or Mexican, there would have been 0 chance of him getting the macca seat in 2008.

Impossible to say. But it is unlikely that a foreign driver would have been karting in Britain at that age to have the original chance meeting he had with Ron Dennis.... that he got by winning his series. And then the later sponsorship offer he got..... by continuing to win his classes.

I honestly don't see how you can compare Hamilton and his being British to someone with flat out backing buying the positions in race seats like Narain Karthikeyan.

#135 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:55 AM

I'm not saying hammy shouldn't have been given a chance because he was british, I'm just saying that his chance is very comparable to the chance perez and moldonado have gotten because of their origins.

No excuse for Karthikeyan though :mamoru:

#136 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:57 AM

Impossible to say. But it is unlikely that a foreign driver would have been karting in Britain at that age to have the original chance meeting he had with Ron Dennis.... that he got by winning his series.

You're exactly right...so if you're russian, what the fuck are you supposed to do? Get a damn sponsor and hope your skillset can continue to grow at the next level.

#137 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:27 AM

You're exactly right...so if you're russian, what the fuck are you supposed to do? Get a damn sponsor and hope your skillset can continue to grow at the next level.

Move to where there is karting and hope you're good enough to get sponsorship. These guys certainly aren't lacking for money.

Perov's family business is a major sponsor for the Renault team, IIRC. Do you honestly think that without that Russian money that he'd still have a drive? I mean, they're openly doubting Heidfeld already, but they're still heaping praise on the similar performing Petrov.

Williams has called Maldonado "Faultless". Really? You dropped Hulkenberg for that guy, and you're claiming he's been totally faultless this year? You really think he's doing better than Nico would in that car?

From his wiki page:

Maldonado was often overshadowed by team-mate and 2009 champion Nico Hülkenberg, but Maldonado still finished sixth overall, helping ART to the teams title.

http://en.wikipedia....astor_Maldonado

Meanwhile, he considers himself a personal friend of Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez, who effectively owns Williams' new title sponsor.

The words coming from the team bosses about these guys sounds ALOT more like someone who's effectively on a guy's payroll than a team boss about a driver.....because that's what's actually happening. They can't be fair with the guys who are writing the checks at the end of the day. And unless you want F1 to turn into a playground for rich boys who have daddy buy them into the sport, supporting these pay drivers is a losing proposition,

#138 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

David Coulthard knows a thing or two about the downside of the paparazzi, having been snapped recently losing his footing as he left a nightclub in London.

While some figures in the paddock may have done everything they could to steer clear of talk of the incident, Coulthard proved man enough in Monaco to turn what happened into a joke about himself.

On Friday, Coulthard launched his new officially-endorsed TW Steel watch on a yacht in the harbour – and couldn't help himself when he was asked to say a few words about the qualities of the timepiece.

"This watch fits very well with the exciting journey I've had through Formula 1," said Coulthard, as a grin emerged on his face. "I wanted to make sure that this was a watch that would reflect the flashes of the paparazzi if I am out on a Saturday night.

"I wanted to make sure that it could withstand the occasional tumble that does come when you've had a great night out enjoying yourself – this watch is crash-proof, flash-proof and scratch-proof."

Yet the last laugh went to Nick Heidfeld, who quickly shouted out: "And it's square – like your head!"

Oh Nick... :rofl:

#139 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:02 PM

Vietlol, that shit box isn't going anywhere near the top step of the podium this year. :rofl:

Haters gonna hate, look at last year. Enough said :vuvu:

#140 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

Yes, but he got that sponsorship with talent. Same as Vettel at Red Bull.
He didn't come from a rich country looking to make a name for itself like Venezuela w/ Maldonado, or a racing family like Piquet Jr or Michael/Marco Andretti, and skated into a seat primarily on his name.

That's what I was meaning, macca had their eye on him for years, just like red bulls young drivers program etc... Hammy is definitely one of the best on the grid no doubt about it.

#141 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

Oh Nick... :rofl:

:rofl:

And I like Petrov. He might be a pay driver, but he always has a smile and he hasn't been doing that poorly to be honest. The Williams pay driver on the other hand....stinks.

#142 TimzSI

TimzSI

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

The Barcelona single lap and race vids are up on f1.com

in spite of his LoLonso'ness, i've been wanting to see his Q3 lap :o

#143 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

:rofl:

And I like Petrov. He might be a pay driver, but he always has a smile and he hasn't been doing that poorly to be honest. The Williams pay driver on the other hand....stinks.

I actually didn't mind Petrov as much this year, but i had flashbacks to last year's antics when he speared the wall at Monaco. :o

However, I don't think Renault can come out and say that Nick needs to pick it up when his teammate isn't really putting the absolute wood to him.

#144 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

Nick needs to fix his quali but he is above Rosberg and Massa in the WDC, what more can you want from a renot

#145 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

However, I don't think Renault can come out and say that Nick needs to pick it up when his teammate isn't really putting the absolute wood to him.

I wonder if eric boullier has been listening to Hobbs's commentary this year.

#146 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:20 PM

I agree, I think Renault are wrong to put Heidfeld under the gun. He always seems to get more criticism in his career for whatever reason compared to other drivers. Like he has to perform extra just to be seen as "good enough" compared to others when in reality, he's actually quite good. He's not WDC material, but he is solid and can give you good points.

#147 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

They can't be fair with the guys who are writing the checks at the end of the day. And unless you want F1 to turn into a playground for rich boys who have daddy buy them into the sport, supporting these pay drivers is a losing proposition,

I agree 100% with this.

#148 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

I agree, I think Renault are wrong to put Heidfeld under the gun. He always seems to get more criticism in his career for whatever reason compared to other drivers. Like he has to perform extra just to be seen as "good enough" compared to others when in reality, he's actually quite good. He's not WDC material, but he is solid and can give you good points.

:werd: Part of why I'm a big Nick fan, the whole of f1 treats him like a red-headed step child.

#149 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

I ran a 1:13:272 at Monaco in the Ferrari F10 today :wiggle: .... in GT5 :o

Challenge accepted!

#150 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:22 PM

Challenge accepted!

I used RH - do whatever to setup. Aero balance is really crucial here - full aero doesn't seem to be the fastest way either. YMMV. Who else wants some!?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users