• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Interests:F1, racing, women, steak, running, cycling.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:23 PM

better than most spanish races... RBR and Vettel are just unstoppable

#27 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

I think Hammy had the faster car today, but due to pit strategy and some good laps Vettel was able to hold him off... :bowdown:

#28 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

Spain just needs to be written off the F1 map, this track is still awful.

Bring back Magny Cours

and old-school Hockenheim

#29 cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

Fairly good race for Barcelona, especially in the beginning.
The Ferraris really don't like the hard rubber, eh? The way Alonso dropped off when he changed over was astounding.

#30 cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:03 PM

Spain just needs to be written off the F1 map, this track is still awful.

Bring back Magny Cours

and old-school Hockenheim

I'd like to see the European GP move around to different tracks on a yearly basis. So you'd get races at tracks like Magny Cours, Imola, Hockenheim, maybe even Brands Hatch or the Osterreich/A1/Red Bull Ring.

#31 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:24 PM

Fairly good race for Barcelona, especially in the beginning.
The Ferraris really don't like the hard rubber, eh? The way Alonso dropped off when he changed over was astounding.

seriously... leading the first 1/2 of the race to being lapped... talk about a drop off :eek3:
another vote for alternating tracks between years while keeping some classics (Monaco/Spa/etc)

#32 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:40 AM

I'd like to see the European GP move around to different tracks on a yearly basis. So you'd get races at tracks like Magny Cours, Imola, Hockenheim, maybe even Brands Hatch or the Osterreich/A1/Red Bull Ring.

Hell yeah, Valencia is such a shit track...

#33 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:14 AM

Can anyone stop this kid? The racing is a lot better but Vettel is just so damn fast and has matured so much since last year. Quite a dangerous combination...

#34 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:47 AM

Watching him hold off Hammy in a faster car today was :bowdown:

RB's KERS reliability is making for some good racing...

#35 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:05 AM

Watching him hold off Hammy in a faster car today was :bowdown:

RB's KERS reliability is making for some good racing...

:werd:

Newey is turning into his own worst enemy again,

God damn, was it nice to see 3 world champs, in 3 different cars, within a second of each other. Good race, I'd much rather lose Valencia to an alternating Imola, Magny Cours, RB Ring, etc.

#36 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

So much for that super-durable prime tire, huh? 77 pit stops during the Spanish Grand Prix, as opposed to 81 for the Turkish GP where everyone was complaining that the tires don't last. :rofl:

#37 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

So much for that super-durable prime tire, huh? 77 pit stops during the Spanish Grand Prix, as opposed to 81 for the Turkish GP where everyone was complaining that the tires don't last. :rofl:

i thought it lasted pretty well - didn't all the front runners run the prime last and use it for like 20laps?

#38 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:22 PM

i thought it lasted pretty well - didn't all the front runners run the prime last and use it for like 20laps?

I could certainly imagine someone having a go with two [stops], I have heard some say it is going to be four stopper again, that would really surprise me based on the initial data I have seen, as they have to use the hard.

Vettel went 9 laps (used softs), 9 laps (used softs), 16 laps (new softs), 14 laps (used hards), 18 laps (new hards)
Hamilton went 11 laps (used softs), 12 laps (new softs), 12 laps (used softs), 14 laps (used hards), 17 laps (new hards)

Just to put some of those hard tire stints in perspective, Jenson did 14, 16 and 18 laps respectively in his 3 sets of soft tires, then finished off with an 18 lap stint on the hard.

Nobody in the top 4 used the hard tire for more than 19 laps, Fernando used his last set for 27 laps.

That's a great question for Pirelli, why they brought a harder tyre which lasts less than the other [hard], that degrades more than the other and is two seconds slower.

#39 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Interests:F1, racing, women, steak, running, cycling.

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:46 PM

one of RBR's biggests strengths this year has been good strategy calls too... they pulled vettel in before any drop off. if you end up with just a single "drop off" lap, that could cost you a couple seconds before you get around to react and that can be the difference between a win or not.

#40 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

I say lets just put them all on softs and see where the chips may fall. Flat-out sprints rather than managing the tires. DRS was useless in this race...

As for Vettel & Lewis - weren't they pushing pretty hard on those super-hards? They were running times that no one else in the field were getting at 1:26s at the end of the race on those hards. Weren't they? Yes, I know that fuel had decreased dramatically at that stage, but they weren't that much slower than the options IMO. Maybe Vettel & LH found a way to extract that speed and that's why they didn't last as long either...?

#41 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:34 PM

one of RBR's biggests strengths this year has been good strategy calls too... they pulled vettel in before any drop off. if you end up with just a single "drop off" lap, that could cost you a couple seconds before you get around to react and that can be the difference between a win or not.

I can hardly agree to that, Webber could have easily gone longer on his new set of options and not get held up by Alonslow but they repeated pitted him the same time. Only then did they wake up that Alonso was shit slow and they did it anyway, but by that time Jenson was in the distance.

#42 TimzSI

TimzSI

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:12 PM

Alonso's start was inspirational. Very cool to see.

Vettel's best race, if you don't count the difficult conditions of his Monza STR win. As for his KERS, I feel like I clearly saw that he was discharging 2/3's of his battery, almost a full 1/3 of it out of the final corner after Lewis caught him up again after their final stops. Am I crazy? Everything I read says he didn't have KERS at that point.

The Mclaren might have the speed, but still not the down force. RBR's handling advantage should easily win them Monaco, but the Macca should be fast again in Canada. I wonder what 2 DRS zones will be like.

#43 TimzSI

TimzSI

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

I can hardly agree to that, Webber could have easily gone longer on his new set of options and not get held up by Alonslow but they repeated pitted him the same time. Only then did they wake up that Alonso was shit slow and they did it anyway, but by that time Jenson was in the distance.

Same with Lewis, they held him out after Seb and Fred's first round because they wanted to keep a gap to Alonso for second it seems like...

#44 MrBucket

MrBucket

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

Can't imagine Ferrari is thrilled there are good pics of this out there now. Shows just where the exhaust blown diffuser gasses are acting.

Posted Image

#45 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

Can't imagine Ferrari is thrilled there are good pics of this out there now. Shows just where the exhaust blown diffuser gasses are acting.

Posted Image

Considering how poorly they are doing against the front-runners, I'm sure they will look at it and see what NOT to do!

#46 MrBucket

MrBucket

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

HRT is mad they cant come up with an ebd that shitty.

#47 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:11 AM

fantastic shot, regardless of ebd shittiness

#48 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:30 AM

RBR and McLaren lapping all but their own cars is pretty impressive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users