909 replies to this topic

#1 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:24 AM

Well the season has started so we need a new thread.

Certainly doesnt look like the 'top4' are all fighting for the chip.

Schumi slower than nicoberg :mamoru: how long will he stand for that?

Hulkenberg looked a bit disappointing to me after all the hype

Petrov on the other hand looked pretty damn good for a pay driver, so did Kubica though so maybe the Renault is just fast? Good contender for best of the rest behind the 'not so top4'

Virgin retiring pisses me off only because I have them on my pff1 teams ;_;

Main point for me from this weekend: fuck Sauber, they ran underweight in testing looking for sponsors and got all our hopes up. I wonder how hard it is looking after your tyres on the longer runs if you take all the ballast out? :mamoru:

#2 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:38 AM

Posted Image

fuck you Im an ant-eater

those shoes are pretty ugly

#3 draobpi

draobpi

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:04 AM

so........ the FIA scrutinizers have asked several teams (including McLaren and Renault) to revise their starter holes before Australia.
They don't want them to exploit those usually round holes into huge holes to add to their diffusers.

#4 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:46 AM

Posted Image

hole in question

#5 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:19 AM

Wired, of all places, has done a pretty decent article on McLaren's rear wing stalling device

http://www.wired.com...laren-rear-wing

#6 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:34 AM

Most over-rated season in terms of racing? It's gearing up for it

#7 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:34 AM

Wired, of all places, has done a pretty decent article on McLaren's rear wing stalling device

http://www.wired.com...laren-rear-wing

good article

the McLaren did have a noticeably steeper rear wing than its rivals, such as the Mercedes

#8 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:34 PM

So we saw the first race of the season - and it was boring. Givin' a way to improve the sport, without any technical changes to the cars because they have been built - what would you guys do to make it more interesting for the moment...?

#9 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

So we saw the first race of the season - and it was boring. Givin' a way to improve the sport, without any technical changes to the cars because they have been built - what would you guys do to make it more interesting for the moment...?

the compulsory 2 tire changes idea is reasonable

#10 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

the compulsory 2 tire changes idea is reasonable

Along with bridgestone bringing less durable tires.

#11 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:49 PM

I like the idea of less durable tires. I wonder how hard it would be to get back to refueling.

For the short term, I'd prpose to bring back refueling, and the use of less durable tires.

For the long term, I'd like to seriously look at aerodynamics again and these fools need to find a way to limit how much work aerodynamics plays a part in the quickness of cars. Tighten down the double diffusers, tighten down how many elements are allowed on the wings...those front wings can NOT be helping, and this year when they reduced front-tire only made things worse by getting rid of more mechanical grip.

Also they need to find a ways to make F1 relevant again. Which in today's world is the 'green' movement. So instead of forcing KERS onto the teams, why not leave the drivetrain open, and just give the teams 100 gallons for the entire race weekend? Do whatever you want, power however you want, but you only have 100 gallons for use. Lets see F1 learn how to make things efficent AND fast through creativity.

#12 shallow777

shallow777

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

I agree with you.

Only problem with that is that money is super tight and developing new technology and new ways to do things burns up cash. It was great when everyone was swimming in money but now teams can't even bring in sponsors.

Actually if things don't change soon teams will have to figure out how to race without tires.

#13 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

on BBC post race talk, they had Jenson (along with Lewis and Withmarsh and a bunch of others) talk about the race, and Jenson flat out said he didn't feel the need to have to push, he was rarely at the limit during the race... even Alonso said he was only planning on attacking Vettel during the last 10 laps...

soooooo... i don't think swapping tires is going to fix the problem, if the drivers feel they can parade around and only really need to push during the last couple laps, something definitively is wrong on the competitive standpoint...

#14 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

Points given for laps led?

But realistically the most exciting races in recent years have been when it was pissing rain and there was barely any grip, so for a quicker fix Bridgestone needs to reduce the amount of grip in the tires and make them less durable. No way in hell FOTA and the FIA would go for a mid-season tire design change though.

#15 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

also, like red said, making the tires narrower got rid of mechanical grip, which doesn't help
then you got reports saying that even with all the aero restrictions that the down force levels are crazy high
then you got issues with cooling where a car can't run behind the other or it overheats (see Alonso getting clean air behind Vettel)

#16 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

Seb vet says that everyone is trying to make sure the tires last for the distance given the conditions (they haven't tested this tire compound and def. not in this heat). So with more miles under their belt on the various compounds in different weather conditions maybe we might start to see drivers more confident on when they can push later in this season. It was a boring race but no reason to panic yet.

#17 TimzSI

TimzSI

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:14 PM

Reverse the grids. Seems the only way at this point. Mandatory double pits won't do shit but put a band-aid on this situation. Either reverse quali grids (in which case we then have to combat sandbagging) or just reverse the starting order from the finishing order of the previous race. I just don't see a point to racing through so long a distance if there isn't going to be a single on track pass due to tire-protecting.

#18 TimzSI

TimzSI

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:15 PM

Also ban any retarded Alonso car-dancing. You look a fool, emotardo.

#19 HighTachPres

HighTachPres

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:fast cars and fast girls

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

Most over-rated season in terms of racing? It's gearing up for it

:hs: good god guys you're basing the entire season off of 1 race?

#20 HighTachPres

HighTachPres

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:fast cars and fast girls

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

Also ban any retarded Alonso car-dancing. You look a fool, emotardo.

better than kimi :hs:

#21 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

on BBC post race talk, they had Jenson (along with Lewis and Withmarsh and a bunch of others) talk about the race, and Jenson flat out said he didn't feel the need to have to push, he was rarely at the limit during the race... even Alonso said he was only planning on attacking Vettel during the last 10 laps...

soooooo... i don't think swapping tires is going to fix the problem, if the drivers feel they can parade around and only really need to push during the last couple laps, something definitively is wrong on the competitive standpoint...

Maybe if he felt more urgency he wouldn't have finished so low down.

I think the solution is to wait for the next race. Bahrain never really produced good ones.

#22 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

http://www.sportreli...jensons-success

#23 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:19 AM

http://www.sportreli...jensons-success

:hs:

#24 F1

F1

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:16 AM

Engines and gearboxes should only have to last one race weekend. Between my napping all I heard was "push, but don't push too much, we have to think about the coming races".

I'm back bitches.

#25 cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:29 AM

Make the tires wider!! I've been saying this for years. One of the biggest difficulties they have when trying to pass is the reduction in grip when close behind a car. Mechanical grip doesn't go away like aerodynamic grip does. Make the tires wider and the wings smaller and you'll see better racing.

I understand that they want to limit cornering speeds, but trying to do it with narrow or grooved tires is fucking ass-backwards thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users