682 replies to this topic

#626 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

OT: Man, the entire middle east has become the big cluster-fuck we've all been waiting for ever since the over throw of the Egyptian government...can't say I'm surprised; who didn't see any of this coming?

I am actually quite shocked that there hasn't been more crackdown. Maybe history is just used to more competent dictators? Or maybe the nature of revolt and despotism has changed with cell phone cameras and video sharing sites?

#627 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

ib abu dhabi and bahrain back to back as a season finale :jerkit:

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but having a season finale in a place that does not have champagne = automatic fail.

The FOM had a good thing going with Albert Park to open and Interlagos to close each season, then the oil money came in and ruined the party/show with some boring-ass races and even more boring locales. :down:

#628 cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:10 AM

The schedule is pretty tight, I doubt there will be a replacement because nobody can get organised in time for March.

Oh, I don't think they'd replace it for the original date. I just think they might slot another race into the schedule later in the season.

#629 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:03 AM

OT: Man, the entire middle east has become the big cluster-fuck we've all been waiting for ever since the over throw of the Egyptian government...can't say I'm surprised; who didn't see any of this coming?

fun fact of the day...
when I was in Egypt years back, I never felt scared or worried, I felt safe no matter where I went... the military was super nice and friendly, and I felt safer walking down the streets of Cairo/Alexandria at 2am in the morning than I did walking down streets of NYC after dark...

#630 TimzSI

TimzSI

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

I wouldn't call that a fact, I'd call it conjecture.

The only thing I don't like about this is two more weeks of anticipation. Clearly, the race never should have been there. It was good for Bernie and the teams, but bad for the country. There are plenty of other places to host it. I maintain that the BIC is the most boring to watch GP on the current schedule. Ugly setting, poor track conditions, lack of uniformity in surfaces and quality, zero native fans, durka rules, sand on the track. Not many redeeming qualities. Valencia is a haphazard track setup, but its in an amazing setting. I hate the track views on TV, it reminds me of the detroit and phoenix races in terms of indistinguishable corners and straights. But Valencia is an amazing town and you just can't compare a setting in the Med to minor Gulf state. Sorry Chiuey, it's the worst.

#631 Skyliner

Skyliner

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:32 PM

So Trulli isn't a big fan of the new tires:

"In my opinion tyre wear is secondary compared to the tyre's balance problems, because at the moment you get on the track with a new tyre that initially is understeering, and after three laps the behaviour is the opposite, that is impossible oversteering."

Source: autosport.com

#632 Skyliner

Skyliner

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:36 PM

So, the teams don't get to do any extra testing before Melbourne do they?

#633 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

So, the teams don't get to do any extra testing before Melbourne do they?

I thought they were replacing the Bahrain GP with a test.

#634 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:00 PM

Test at Spa! :eek3:

#635 TimzSI

TimzSI

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:18 PM

Barcelona is replacing the test that was going to happen at the BIC. I doubt the higher ups will allow another test session. Although that would be cool. And they might move it to the weekend to bring in more fans/money.

#636 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:41 AM

I wouldn't call that a fact, I'd call it conjecture.

The only thing I don't like about this is two more weeks of anticipation. Clearly, the race never should have been there. It was good for Bernie and the teams, but bad for the country. There are plenty of other places to host it. I maintain that the BIC is the most boring to watch GP on the current schedule. Ugly setting, poor track conditions, lack of uniformity in surfaces and quality, zero native fans, durka rules, sand on the track. Not many redeeming qualities. Valencia is a haphazard track setup, but its in an amazing setting. I hate the track views on TV, it reminds me of the detroit and phoenix races in terms of indistinguishable corners and straights. But Valencia is an amazing town and you just can't compare a setting in the Med to minor Gulf state. Sorry Chiuey, it's the worst.

Last time I checked we are still more interested in the racing than what ever setting is in the background. With the exception of last yr, I don't particularly remember Bahrain as a boring race, where as Valencia has been a bore EVERY year.

If I wanted to go on holiday, I would choose Valencia for sure, but I'm not going on holiday, I'm trying to watch a race.

As for the other factors they apply to both circuits
- I don't care about native fan (I'm watching it on TV. Who gives a shit what the fans looks like?)
- I don't care about durka rules (it doesn't effect me any, I don't live there)
- lack of uniformity in surface (like it's actually that much better in Valencia. Besides it's up to the drivers to conquer the track and push themselves for results no matter what the conditions are. Also, it's the same track for all drivers, they all have to endure the same problems.)
- sand on the track (we don't complain when it rains, how should sand be any different? Not to mention Valencia is just as bad off the racing line.)

As far as a circuit goes, Bahrain is still better in my opinion and it did have a few good races in the past. But as for Valencia, it should have never made it on the calendar. We already have Monaco, why would we need a lesser and shittier imitation?

In all honesty, they both should be axed coz they don't really contribute much to the the sport. But Valencia will still remain the worst track on the calendar.

#637 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:08 AM

I mostly agree with Valencia being little more than Monaco's retarded stepbrother. But, for me, 0 crowd in the stands is a buzz kill. I was watching Australian V8s at abu dhabi the other night...I was actually more intrigued by all of the, quite literally, empty grandstands than the racing.

For me it's a toss up, but I'm glad we've lost bahrain only because of moral reasons. Alcohol bad but beating women ok? Really?

#638 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:12 AM

I mostly agree with Valencia being little more than Monaco's retarded stepbrother. But, for me, 0 crowd in the stands is a buzz kill. I was watching Australian V8s at abu dhabi the other night...I was actually more intrigued by all of the, quite literally, empty grandstands than the racing.

For me it's a toss up, but I'm glad we've lost bahrain only because of moral reasons. Alcohol bad but beating women ok? Really?

But Turkey GP is usually pretty good, even with zero crowd

#639 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:12 AM

Good point.

#640 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:13 AM

What a scary horrible earthquake btw, :wtc:

#641 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

Ecclestone will try to slot in Bahrain GP into race calendar later this year. Given the choice between a 4 week break and a Bahrain GP somewhere in the mid-season I think would be the only time I'd look forward to the Bahrain GP.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/89625

#642 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

I have to say, the only boring Bahrain GP imho was 2010 and that was because they tried a new layout AND we had the first race of the season with no refueling so everyone was really cautious. Most interesting things that happen in Valencia are the incidents, in 2008 Naka took out Fred and in 2010 Webbo went airborne, thats about it.

#643 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Interests:F1, racing, women, steak, running, cycling.

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

good article on F1.com about testing... i was curious to know how much running these guys were getting, they mention it for each team.

http://www.formula1....11/3/11790.html

i was going to quote the article, but im on a mac at work. i had a hard enough time trying to figure out how to copy and paste the link! then i couldnt copy the entire article, the cursor just stopped at the bottom of the site and wouldnt continue???

anyways, at least the screen is pretty

#644 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#645 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

Posted Image

:bowrofl:

#646 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

:rofl: Flawless

#647 TimzSI

TimzSI

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

I see what you did there.

:rofl:

The hell is that? It looks like one of the Aliens from...Aliens.

#648 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

I see what you did there.

The hell is that? It looks like one of the Aliens from...Aliens.

It is a dolphin, a marine mammal.

:mamoru:

Just a load test attachment to determine the forces on the front wing. Basically it measures the amount of 'pull' generated by downforce, they have used something similar in the past for testing. No chance in hell they race it, just something they would to to verify their windtunnel and CFD model numbers.

#649 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

I was about to say, who let the Honda designer into McLaren?

#650 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

I was about to say, who let the Honda designer into McLaren?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users