Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:57 PM

No Felipe no :eek3:

"Doctors say it is too early to judge whether Felipe Massa will race again after it was revealed on Monday that the Brazilian suffered damage to his left eye in his Hungarian Grand Prix crash.

Massa is still in hospital recovering from a skull fracture and concussion after he was hit in the face by a spring from Rubens Barrichello's car.

Local media quoted the hospital's professor Robert Veres from Budapest as saying that the eye injury could be enough to end Massa's F1 career.

"He has suffered some damage to the eye," said Veres. "We don't know whether he'll be able to race again."

The AEK hospital in Budapest is scheduled to hold a press conference this evening to update the media on Massa's injuries, but doctors have said that the Ferrari driver's left eye has been damaged.

The spring struck Massa just above his left eye, smashing his helmet and fracturing his skull.

Doctors also confirmed on Monday that the operation that was conducted on Saturday afternoon saved Massa's life.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo visited Massa in hospital on Monday."

Source - Autosport.com

#2 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

:eek3:

shitty if it pans out that way... hope it doesn't though

#3 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

:eek3:

#4 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

Man, :wtc:

#5 AErrorist

AErrorist

PFF1 Champion

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:37 PM

I dislike Tattoo as much he next guy, but this kind of shit always sucks to hear

#6 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:09 PM

Full recovery possible for Massa

By Peter Farkas Monday, July 27th 2009, 18:00 GMT

Felipe Massa's condition is continuing to improve as doctors at the AEK Hospital in Hungary, where the Brazilian driver is being treated, denied earlier reports of eye damage and instead suggested he could make a full recovery.

Colonel Dr. Lajos Zsiros, the chief surgeon of the Hungarian Defence Forces, told a news conference on Monday that the 28-year-old had been woken from sedation on Monday afternoon, and was unlikely to be sedated again.

"In the last 24 hours some major changes have gone through in the condition of Felipe Massa," said Zsiros. "His condition continues to be stable.

"During the CT-scan we performed we could ascertain that there was an improvement in his condition. We stopped sedation and after that Felipe Massa became capable of making contact."

"So in the afternoon we stopped the artificial ventilation of Felipe. As we speak he is sleepy, but he gives adequate answers to the questions we ask him, and he can move his arms and legs spontaneously."

"Right now he has no fever, and we have removed the drain tube from his wound. Further improvement of his condition can be expected. During the night we do not plan to do any more interventions on him."

Zsiros denied the earlier reports that Massa had injured his left eye, which led to speculation about his future participation in Formula 1.

The doctor explained that it was in fact too early to tell if there was any damage because Massa was still unable to open the eye: "we can give no positive neither negative answer to this, because at this stage the vision cannot be examined."

Zsiros made it clear however that a full recovery was still entirely possible for the Brazilian.

"There is no such thing as 'this condition', because every case is different," he pointed out. "Of course it isn't impossible."

When asked when they will be able to determine if Massa has suffered any kind of lasting injury, Zsiros said: "There is no interval which we can define, but I would say it should be from one week to ten days."

He added that Massa would remain in intensive care as long as his condition made that necessary.

Dino Altmann, the Chief Medical Officer of the Brazilian Grand Prix, who also attended the news conference, confirmed Massa was now able to speak.

"He spoke, he wanted to know what happened to him. And he had some questions," Altmann revealed. "I would like to say that the family is very happy with the treatment Felipe is receiving here, and there's no question about transfer at the moment."

Altmann said they haven't asked Massa yet if he was able to remember the accident. He also explained that the operation on Saturday, which doctors described as "life-saving", was performed because of the skull damage, not because of brain swelling.

A spokesman for the AEK hospital confirmed Massa's family were already in Budapest, and a room was made available for them so they could stay with him at all times.

Time to play the waiting game. Get well soon Felipe, siamo con te.

#7 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:05 PM

Forza Felipe!

I'm just glad to see him okay. What a freak accident - but i'm afraid of the knee-jerk reactions liable to come from this...

#8 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:14 PM

:wtc:

As much as I cheered against the guy last year, that would be a shitty way to end his career.

#9 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:27 PM

my personal opinion is that he's out of the rest of the season... if he does come back, it'll be for Brazil and Abu Dhabi...

#10 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

some pics from that day... that's a pretty beefy spring to hit your head at 120mph...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Interests:F1, racing, women, steak, running, cycling.

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:51 PM

its going to be awhile, i think if he races this season, it will be amazing. but i think it wont be the end for his career, he should have the time to recover by next season i think.

#12 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:53 PM

my personal opinion is that he's out of the rest of the season... if he does come back, it'll be for Brazil and Abu Dhabi...

a brazilian return would be EPIC.

#13 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:56 PM

its going to be awhile, i think if he races this season, it will be amazing. but i think it wont be the end for his career, he should have the time to recover by next season i think.

This is sounding more and more similar to Richard Hammond's head injury. I guess all traumatic head injuries are wait and see...and hopefully he ends up back in the cockpit with nothing more than a new taste for celery.

#14 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:32 PM

This is sounding more and more similar to Richard Hammond's head injury. I guess all traumatic head injuries are wait and see...and hopefully he ends up back in the cockpit with nothing more than a new taste for celery.

The thing that strikes me is they said a something about a basal skull fracture.. Wasn't the HANS device's purpose to prevent that sort of injury?

#15 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:44 PM

The thing that strikes me is they said a something about a basal skull fracture.. Wasn't the HANS device's purpose to prevent that sort of injury?

I don't think it works when your head is going in the opposite direction...meant for "head on" collisions not "to the head" collisions.

#16 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:56 PM

I don't think it works when your head is going in the opposite direction...meant for "head on" collisions not "to the head" collisions.

having a baseball bat swung at your head is different than head butting a baseball bat...

#17 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:04 PM

i would love to see a medical report, i have no idea what he has had done. i would doubt its a basal skull fracture, it looks to be from the contact with the spring, not a reaction to the hit.

would LOVE to see a brazilian return! :wtc:

#18 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:08 PM

http://www.dailymail...sh--Im-not.html

Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond with wife Mindy. He admits he's still affected by the crash

Eighteen months after the high-speed crash which almost killed him, Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond has revealed that he still suffers from emotional problems and memory loss.

The father-of-two nicknamed "Hamster" told how he struggled "mortally with depression" and still speaks regularly to a psychiatrist following the incident when he flipped a jet-powered drag-racing car at 288mph.

He said he believes his brain needs to "rewire" itself as it recovers from the life-threatening head injuries he sustained as he was filmed attempting to break the British land speed record.

Hammond, 38, damaged the part of his brain which controls spatial awareness, and admitted that he now finds it difficult to park a car.

He said that returning to the BBC2 show only four months after the crash had been "much too early".

"I thought I was better when I went back to work but now I don't remember going back. I was really having a bloody hard time. I had to evolve new strategies for coping.

"I damaged all the complicated bits of the brain to do with processing and emotional control. I was prey to every single emotion that swept over me and I couldn't deal with it. I had to relearn things from scratch.

"I'll still have a week when I'm freaking out about something and I'll realise it's because I'm encountering a new emotional state and I have to evolve a strategy to cope.

"When I did a 24-hour race for Top Gear in September I was scared and nervous. It was making me argumentative, angry, thinking I wasn't good enough for the job, feeling awful."

He added: "It's been a bloody long journey and it's still going. It's when I consider how far I've come since I was in hospital that I realise there was a lot more to fix than I thought.

"I spent a year recovering and I'm still on the mend. All the swelling has gone down, it's as mended as it's likely to be, it seems to be more a case of rewiring itself.

"I'm a hell of a lot more fixed than I was but every time something happens, if I make an odd decision (which can happen), you realise how broken you were.

"My memory is a lot better but the other day I forgot the pin numbers to all my cards."

Lucky escape: The dragster leaves the track and begins to cartwheel, kicking up a cloud of smoke and earth as the front wheels fly off

Hammond was airlifted to hospital in September 2006 after his Vampire jet-powered dragster spun out of control when a tyre burst during a daredevil stunt at Elvington airfield, near York.

On the penultimate run before the crash he touched 314mph, 14mph above the British land speed record, but it does not count officially because monitoring procedures were not followed.

After five weeks he was allowed to go home to his wife Mindy and their two daughters, Isabella, seven, and Willow, four.

Hammond told the Sunday Times that despite the crash he still loves presenting Top Gear, which starts a new series in the summer. He said there was a lot of banter between himself and co-hosts Jeremy Clarkson and James May.

"But we're all best friends and we love each other dearly. Don't tell Clarkson I said that - he'll punch me next time he sees me."

and as far as i know, he didnt even have structural damage... neurologic injuries are a strange beast

#19 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:51 PM

having a baseball bat swung at your head is different than head butting a baseball bat...

I think the basal skull fracture happened on the head-on collision. Not sure how his head could have moved enough to cause a basal fracture against a rear headrest. I guess it wasn't a basal skull fracture, and now I can't remember what site I read that from...

#20 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:27 AM

get well soon :wtc:

#21 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:31 PM

Eibach makes springs for F1 cars? :o

#22 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

Eibach makes springs for F1 cars? :o

more than you can afford pal... Ferrari... :o

#23 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

Did some math at lunch - wanted to figure out how many lbs of force had hit Massa...

0.002s = Duration of impact in seconds
.8kg = mass of spring
76m/s = speed at impact

F = ma
F = (76m/s ÷ 0.002s) * .8kg
F = 38000m/s² * .8kg
F = 30400N
30400N = 6834.2 lbs force

Geezus :o

#24 Deadpool

Deadpool

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:32 AM

3100kg :bowdown:

Wild.

#25 Deadpool

Deadpool

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:34 AM

Felipe Massa suffered no eye damage in crash

July 29, 2009 07:22am

FERRARI driver Felipe Massa, injured in a crash during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix, suffered no eye damage and could be out of hospital soon.
"If his condition continues to improve at this rate, he should be able to leave hospital within seven to 10 days,'' said Peter Bazso, director of Budapest's AEK hospital where the Ferrari driver was taken after his crash on Saturday.

Dino Altman, Massa's personal doctor, said later: "The eyes were not injured and he could speak in three languages."

He also noted that Massa had good orientation and knew his left and his right.

Stefano Domenicali, team principal of Ferrari's Formula One team, said after visiting Massa in hospital that the driver had recognised him and that the two had spoken in Italian.

"He can't remember quite well what happened," he added, insisting that there were no plans to replace Massa in the team.

But Bazso warned against high expectations, noting that Massa had suffered a serious injury and that his condition could still worsen.

The 28-year-old suffered severe injuries when he was hit on the head at around 275 kmh by a spring that broke loose from compatriot Rubens Barrichello's Brawn car during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix last Saturday.

http://www.news.com....8-39478,00.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users