#1 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:28 AM

I've always had this wild notion. What if F1 was just a whole bunch of privateer teams that partnered with Engine & gearbox suppliers?

Imagine this, most teams are privateers, who are partnered with car manufacturers who supply them with engines, gear boxes and KERS units.

Now say the engines are built to a spec with caps on capacity and durability.
Freedom on KERS development
All cars are controlled by a third party ECU.
Min weight requirement still the same.
Aero / body work to similar specs of what it currently is, minus double diffusers.
Same tire rules as current development.

here's the, no car manufacturer can be partnered with or supply to more than 2 team.

Cap the engine cost to 10mil a season.

I think as a whole this concept still needs a lot of work, but I for one would love to see Car manufacturers stay in F1 even if just as engine suppliers so their cost to stay in the sport does not break the bank.

Also it can bring in a lot of other car manufacturers. even with 13 teams, we would have a minimum of 7 car manufacturers.

Imagine this lineup:

Ferrari
Toro Rosso Ferrari
McLaren Mercedes
Brawn Honda
Sauber BMW
USF1 Porsche
Renault
Redbull Renault
Toyota
Williams Toyota
Force India Tata
Campos Ford
Manor Ford

possible other teams to be brought back or added to F1
Super Aguri Honda
Prodrive Aston Martin
Lola Chevolette

I guess at the end of it all, one can still dream.

#2 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

so F1 how it was befoer Honda came in and fucked it up?

#3 mads

mads

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:50 AM

so F1 how it was befoer Honda left and fucked it up?

Fixed

#4 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:12 PM

I like how USF1 is using Porsche when there's a Chevy tech partner option.

Really though, I don't see how terribly different that all is from the current setup.

#5 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:45 PM

I like how USF1 is using Porsche when there's a Chevy tech partner option.

Really though, I don't see how terribly different that all is from the current setup.

I guess what I was trying to get at is less dependence on teams having to reply heavily on Car manufacturers.

If the manufacturers could afford it they'd be a works team, but if they can't only supply engines, KERS and gearbox. My example of Sauber BMW wasn't explained either. I was thinking Peter Sauber buys back the team and run it with BMW engines. So BMW wouldn't have to pull out of the sport entirely, all they'd have to support are customer engines packages.

And the same would be for most teams, except for of course the works Ferrari, McLaren Mecerdes, Renault and Toyota teams.

Is this scenario, then a lot more manufacturers could enter the sport as engine suppliers and still get the advertising they would want out of F1.

#6 mads

mads

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:38 AM

wasn't BMW saying they would be ready to support up to two other teams with engines for 2010?

#7 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:07 AM

wasn't BMW saying they would be ready to support up to two other teams with engines for 2010?

But doesn't the pull out suggest they're shutting down the whole program?

Or are they keeping the engine dept still open?

#8 mads

mads

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:22 AM

But doesn't the pull out suggest they're shutting down the whole program?

Or are they keeping the engine dept still open?

They're shutting everything down, but less then a week ago they were saying they could/would support teams

#9 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:43 AM

In light of recent developments, it's quite interesting that there are more privateer teams in F1 now. Now if only more car manufacturers would come in as drive train suppliers, then I'd be totally digging F1 like a kid on Christmas day.

(of course that scenario would only work if all the new teams + renault + sauber make it to the grid come March)

#10 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:09 AM

Volkswagen considering F1 engine supply

By Diego Mejia Friday, November 27th 2009, 08:10 GMT

Volkswagen is seriously evaluating a move into Formula 1 as an engine supplier from 2012, when new power unit regulations due to be introduced could make the sport attractive enough for the German car maker to get involved.

Although F1 has been rocked by the withdrawal of three manufacturers in the last 12 months - with Honda, BMW and Toyota all quitting the sport - the Volkswagen Group believes that the sport is actually becoming more attractive with the way rules are heading.

The German car manufacturer's representative Hans-Joachim Stuck says his company would not be interested in becoming a partner with a team - as was rumoured several years ago when it was linked with a deal to buy into Red Bull Racing - but would be up for supplying engines.

However, Stuck has made it clear that the possibility to supply power units to a number of outfits, especially if there was a 'world engine', would be enough to attract Volkswagen into F1.

"If you're the world's largest manufacturer is natural that we're thinking about [Formula 1], but not before 2012," Stuck told AUTOSPORT about Volkswagen's F1 ambitions.

"We're looking for innovative things, and Formula 1 is the pinnacle of motorsport. Two years ago there was some talk that Volkswagen is going to buy the Red Bull F1 team, which we didn't need to buy. Why should we stick with one team if we can give our engines to more teams?

"If you buy Red Bull and Adrian Newey wants to go flying or fishing, the team is not successful any more. Look at BMW. They bought this multi-million dollar wind tunnel and a supercomputer and they now close the doors. Building an engine and providing it to a team is the best way."

Stuck claims Formula 1's return to expanded grids, and low-cost regulations, has put the sport firmly on Volkswagen's radar.

"Now it's amazing; Formula 1 goes the right way," said Stuck. "Many manufacturers have pulled out, which I think is a great deal, because we have manufacturers that we don't know for how long they will do it.

"They should become engine manufacturers and then lease the engine, sell the engine or give it to somebody. Then you lose all the hassle with teams, wind tunnels, engineers, you know.

"It's like Formula 1 in my days. We had March, we had Lotus, and we had Ford engines. Then Renault came in as engine manufacturer, with a formidable engine. This was perfect.

"I followed Formula 1 for the last seven years with BMW and I always asked myself on the grid, with only 20 cars, what if we could have 30 cars? Now we're getting back to this.

"We have three more teams next year, 26 cars, and by having a global engine, which is good in cost and reliable, we can have 30 cars on the grid."

The Volkswagen Group has recently enjoyed great success in racing with its different brands.

Besides its multiple Le Mans wins with Audi, its WTCC titles with Seat in the past two years and its Dakar victory this year, Volkswagen also powered drivers with VW engines to the British and German F3 titles this, rounding out the season with victory in last weekend's Macau Grand Prix.

That is music to my ears!!!!!

#11 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:02 AM

That is music to my ears!!!!!

:wiggle:

#12 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:35 AM

BMW sells F1 team back to Peter Sauber

By Pablo Elizalde Friday, November 27th 2009, 10:33 GMT

BMW has agreed to sell its Formula 1 team back to Peter Sauber, on condition that the team receives an entry for 2010, after announcing it's original sale to Qadbak Investment Ltd. will not be completed.

The German car maker announced earlier this year it was pulling out of Formula 1, but said it had agreed a deal with Swiss company Qadbak, who was to run the team in the future.

BMW said on Friday however that the Qadbak deal would not be completed.

Instead, the car maker has sold the team back to Peter Sauber, who founded his F1 team in 1993 and ran it until BMW bought it four years ago.

"We are very happy with this solution," said Dr Klaus Draeger, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG. "This fulfils the most important requirement for a successful future for the team.

"Our relationship with Peter Sauber has always been excellent and marked by absolute respect. We would like to express our thanks to Peter Sauber and the whole team for the excellent cooperation during the recent four years."

Sauber added: "I am very relieved that we have found this solution. It means we can keep the Hinwil location and the majority of workplaces. I am convinced that the new team has a very good future in Formula One, whose current transformation with new framework conditions will benefit the private teams.

"Our staff here are highly competent and motivated, and I look forward to taking on this new challenge together with them. I would like to thank BMW for four shared years that have in the main been very successful."

A further agreement with Sauber proposes personnel cuts from the current level of 388 to around 250 employees.

The future of the team in Formula 1 remains unclear, however, as the FIA is yet to confirm its grid slot for 2010.

With the way F1 news has been today, my mouth is starting to water in anticipation of the start of the season already.....

#13 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:51 AM

yesssss to both, BMW should have sold back to PS earlier though, they were dicks about it because they wanted more money

#14 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

yesssss to both, BMW should have sold back to PS earlier though, they were dicks about it because they wanted more money

This.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users