Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:37 AM

Just curious, but what got you into F1?

For me?

I had just recently gotten into grass-roots racing (autocross), and knew of F1 back in 2004. I mean, I knew the big names (Mika & Schumi) and would watch highlight reels on Offtopic when they were posted, but otherwise, didn't follow much. Que forward to the summer of 2005, and I turn on the television, and F1 was on. It was Imola, and I had just caught the last 10 or so laps. I don't know any of these guys other than Schumacher's bright red Ferrari chasing down a bright sky blue F1 car - had nothing else to do so I watched...

Of course, the sky blue F1 car was Alonso, and it was fun to watch...and than I saw magic happen - suddenly like out of thin air, Schumi manages to reel in Alonso by a second a lap. I visually saw the car go quicker, brake harder, turn quicker. It was amazing, as if the physics-defying cars somehow managed to pass thru the TV and make into my brain. This left my mind-numb, unable to grasp what I was seeing...TV has ALWAYS nulled the sensation of speed, and here the cars actually looked quick.

And than watching the calmness of the blue Renault defending against Schumi as he threw the gauntlet at him - I was literally jumping up and down and biting my nails :mamoru: for a sport that I didn't even care about... I was hooked.

So the favor? I've never actually watched this entire race, and I've looked a little bit on some of the torrent sites, but if anyone has this video, can you upload it for me? It'd be awesome if I watched the race that got me into F1 in the first place.

#2 1357

Formula Ford

• F1 Crew Member
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports, Music, Art, Science, History

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:27 AM

I don't remember what exactly got me into F1, but I think it was probably finding ovals and straights a bit boring. Not saying I won't watch stock and drag, but it's really not my thing.

#3 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:26 AM

I went to the 04 USGP.

Not 100% sure why, but we did. It was awesome.

I knew of F1 before that, but never really cared to watch much. I'd always really liked the raw functionality of open wheeled race cars though. I just never watched/followed them because of the fact that few, if any, of my friends back then did. I don't even think i really knew about teams like McLaren or Jordan before 04... well, maybe Jordan because of the Jordan. :dunno:

http://px6.streetfir...1030022_600.jpg

PS: any time I see an old video or picture, I realize how much better the cars looked before 09. :rofl:

#4 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:53 AM

Well I grew up watching pretty much anything racing... Of course it started out with what I now refer to as NASCRAP and Drag Racing been watching both for as long as I can remember. My first memories of F1 are of the cars of course and specifically the John Player Special livery of Mario Andretti and later Senna who was my first real favorite F1 driver, followed by Mika and of course Kimi... I would watch the races as often as I could but didn't really start watching them live until '98 or so, and would say I made the transition to more of an F1 fan than NASCRAP in 2001 when Earnhardt died, even though I couldn't stand the guy as a racer, the sport just didn't seem the same afterwards...

#5 AErrorist

AErrorist

PFF1 Champion

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:14 AM

Back in 2006 I had just started hanging out with people from a local car forum that Nacho and I frequent. Someone dropped out of a trip to the USGP and Nacho invited me to tag along, it was here my nicknames "Hondaboy" and "Dora the Explorer" were created, because I immediately latched onto BAR-Honda and Jenson Button, and because I have no sense of direction and got lost in Indy requiring someone to rescue me.

#6 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:31 AM

Back in 2006 I had just started hanging out with people from a local car forum that Nacho and I frequent. Someone dropped out of a trip to the USGP and Nacho invited me to tag along, it was here my nicknames "Hondaboy" and "Dora the Explorer" were created, because I immediately latched onto BAR-Honda and Jenson Button, and because I have no sense of direction and got lost in Indy requiring someone to rescue me.

You were Hondaboy before that trip.

The second part was dead on though. My favorite part is when you went west off the exit instead of east, then drove for 40 minutes (instead of 4) trying to find the condo, then called for help....... and the next day you said you drove so far you were almost in Chicago, which most people notice is pretty much north of Indy, instead of due west. :dunno:

#7 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

You were Hondaboy before that trip.

The second part was dead on though. My favorite part is when you went west off the exit instead of east, then drove for 40 minutes (instead of 4) trying to find the condo, then called for help....... and the next day you said you drove so far you were almost in Chicago, which most people notice is pretty much north of Indy, instead of due west. :dunno:

His directional skills are as bad as mine! :rofl: :o Well almost, I would've turned around after 10, haha

#8 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:34 PM

i followed F1/MotoGP/WRC online or magazines because at home we normally didn't have channels that carried it...
but in 1999, one of my college buddies had speedvision, so every race i was at his place to watch the races...

been following the sports for about 15 years, but only been watching it live on tv for the past 10 or so...

#9 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:11 PM

Been watching it since about 1995, fast cars do the trick when you're that young

#10 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:53 PM

Really got into cars after playing the first Gran Turismo, so 1998 or so. Shortly after I started studying computer science, so F1 really combined 2 of my passions - cars & technology. I only watched occasional races because of their broadcast times until I got a Tivo in 2004.

#11 mads

mads

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:54 PM

i have imola 05 if you want it.

#12 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:54 PM

:dunno:

#13 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:20 PM

i have imola 05 if you want it.

Please! :dunno:

#14 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:23 PM

kinda watched it without really following it since early 90s, always liked Damon Hill for some reason back then :dunno: really got into it sometime in 2000s though

#15 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:05 AM

kinda watched it without really following it since early 90s, always liked Damon Hill for some reason back then :dunno: really got into it sometime in 2000s though

I was never into cars or racing before F1 so it's kinda weird how I got into it.

I was basically introduced into at the end of the 96 season, Japanese GP (by some friends). The crash of Schumacher and Hill became the talk of the off season and so by the 97 season, our group was divided into the schumacher camp and the villeneuve camp.

Ever since those heated debates, I've never stopped watching F1.

#16 mads

mads

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:43 AM

Please! :dunno:

just give me a place to upload <3

#17 TimzSI

TimzSI

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:41 AM

A couple of things.

1. JV leaving North America after competing at Indy. I was like, "where the fuck is he going?" lol.

2. The death of Open Wheel Racing in America really left A void from about 1996-2000 for me. A BIG void.

3. Realllllly started following when Kimi got to Sauber. I was fascinated by his entry into F1 after so few races. Which is interesting, considering I'm not one of the legion of Kimi fans..

What KEPT me in F1 after Schumi left was Hamilton. The fucking guy was fast, and he was pissing people off left and right early in 2007. :mamoru: I hate Alonso, I think he is (or was especially until returning to Renault for his second stint) an overly arrogant douche bag. If Massa, Hamilton or Schumi beats him this year, I will be happy.

Also, Schumacher. The guy is amazing behind the wheel. Sure, I became a fan long after his early antics, and I think Rascasse-gate was stupid, but the guy is excellent and really loves the sport.

#18 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:48 AM

just give me a place to upload <3

How big is it? I can setup a place...

#19 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Interests:F1, racing, women, steak, running, cycling.

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:44 AM

i got into cars via gran turismo. my parents moved me down south and i was kinda pissed off about it, so dad bought me a video game (from the pawn shop for $10 :D ) I started reading magazines and met some car friends in high school. eventually moved in with some car guys at 19 after i quit college for a couple years to persue my full time autox and hpde career :mamoru: one of the guys were into F1, and we all got into it then. the first year i watched was the last year schumi won a championchip

#20 mads

mads

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:45 AM

How big is it? I can setup a place...

1.5g

#21 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:49 AM

ok, I'll set you up a login tomorrow when I can get on my other laptop, I've forgotten my new password to my website :mamoru:

#22 DocGolem

DocGolem

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:50 AM

I was really into WRC around 1999 and was writing a persuasive paper for one of my English courses about why WRC was better than NASCAR and people should watch it.

To sum it up, I was researching different types of racing and seeing which one required the most "skill" and I came upon F1. Been hooked ever since.

#23 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:55 AM

i got into cars via gran turismo. my parents moved me down south and i was kinda pissed off about it, so dad bought me a video game (from the pawn shop for $10 :rofl: ) I started reading magazines and met some car friends in high school. eventually moved in with some car guys at 19 after i quit college for a couple years to persue my full time autox and hpde career :mamoru: one of the guys were into F1, and we all got into it then. the first year i watched was the last year schumi won a championchip

:D

Well it has all worked out now, hasn't it, lol. :h5:

I was really into WRC around 1999 and was writing a persuasive paper for one of my English courses about why WRC was better than NASCAR and people should watch it.

To sum it up, I was researching different types of racing and seeing which one required the most "skill" and I came upon F1. Been hooked ever since.

So..what was your conclusion? Who had the most talent?

#24 DocGolem

DocGolem

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:02 AM

I believe I put it in terms of raw talent:

WRC
F1
NASCAR

The reasoning was because the WRC guys do not go over the same track over and over again and it is more talent based than settling into the rhythm. I was in high school then so it wasn't a very scientific approach, but it was at least interesting for me.

#25 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

Even when I was quite young and living in China, I was aware of Formula 1.

I must say it was the death of Ayrton Senna which really grabbed my attention in a big way.

Pretty soon I was watching races whenever I saw them on TV, from about 1995, followed Schumacher's battles first with Hill, then Villeneuve, then Hakkinen, then DC, Ralf, JPM...

I remember jumping up and down shouting "No! No! No!" When Hakkinen made THE pass on Schumacher/Zonta into Les Combes in 2000.

From about 2003, I bought a wheel, and got really into F1 2002 on the PC. A setups "pack" I made back then became quite popular, and people were still contacting me about them until about 2-3 years ago asking for setup advice.

Sim driving on F1C then rFactor was how I got to know More&Faster, Tom (F1), Ximian, who are all on this board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users