909 replies to this topic

#26 cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:30 AM

Or they could just bring in water-trucks and spray down the track for every race. :hs:

#27 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:55 AM

that worked well over at the topgear test track :hs:

#28 cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:56 AM

Let the Top Gear producers come up with different challenges for every race weekend. :hs:

#29 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:34 AM

F1 cars vs jetskis across the Himalayas

#30 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:40 AM

Make the tires wider!! I've been saying this for years. One of the biggest difficulties they have when trying to pass is the reduction in grip when close behind a car. Mechanical grip doesn't go away like aerodynamic grip does. Make the tires wider and the wings smaller and you'll see better racing.

I understand that they want to limit cornering speeds, but trying to do it with narrow or grooved tires is fucking ass-backwards thinking.

I agree with this. A narrower front wing with less elements would help greatly. What does raising the rear wing do in terms of the following car? Honestly, I thought a lower wing would make more sense b/c the turbulence is lower and would straighten up earlier than a taller rear wing?

A narrow wing that matches the rear wing in length, with less elements with a lower rear wing, wider tires, a more controlled rear diffuser on the car design will work nicely...

#31 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:15 AM

Points given for laps led?

But realistically the most exciting races in recent years have been when it was pissing rain and there was barely any grip, so for a quicker fix Bridgestone needs to reduce the amount of grip in the tires and make them less durable. No way in hell FOTA and the FIA would go for a mid-season tire design change though.

force them to run on intermediates and wets when it's dry?

#32 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:30 AM

They should just run the Soft and Super Soft tyres, or use 3 tyre compounds, and you must use each one, making 2 stops mandatory... I think it's gay, and WTF it takes 18 dudes to change 4 tyres??? That's 4 guys on each tyre and 2 guys doing jack duty.

#33 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:40 AM

:hs: good god guys you're basing the entire season off of 1 race?

No, Im basing it off the fact that there are 4 WDC and other awesome drivers on the grid and I'd be more entertained/enthralled by a bunch of yokels on Go-karts. Racing will get better, but will most likely only be track/weather dependent

Engines and gearboxes should only have to last one race weekend. Between my napping all I heard was "push, but don't push too much, we have to think about the coming races".

I'm back bitches.

:hs:

No need to conserve engines - means people may have gone flat out all race and gone 2 stopper. If someone had pitted with 15 laps to go while everyone had been on the prime tyre for 15 laps already - whos saying the options wouldnt have been 2-3 seconds a lap quicker than the worn out primes

Welcome back BTW

#34 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:02 AM

Groundwork for Sato's return to F1? :hs:

KV secures Lotus alliance for Sato

By Matt Beer Saturday, March 13th 2010, 16:58 GMT

KV Racing Technology has announced a technical and commercial tie-up with the Lotus brand that will see Takuma Sato's Indycar run in the famous green and yellow Lotus colours from the second round of the championship in St Petersburg.

Sato's Dallara-Honda will carry Lotus-Cosworth decals as part of the new alliance with Group Lotus, which has also allowed Tony Fernandes' new Formula 1 team to use the Lotus title this year. KV co-founder Kevin Kalkhoven is also a co-owner of engine firm Cosworth.

Lotus was last seen in American single seater racing in the 1960s, with Jim Clark winning the 1965 Indianapolis 500 for the marque.

"Racing has always defined Lotus and on many occasions in motorsports history Lotus' numerous innovations have re-defined racing," said Group Lotus CEO Dany Bahar.

"It's only fitting that as the Lotus Racing name re-enters Formula 1, we will also race and innovate again in IndyCar. The Lotus name will, once again compete in the top two open-wheel racing series for the passion and enthusiasm of car fans around the globe."

Sato added: "This is fantastic news for everyone. It is exiting for me to be a Lotus driver and I'm really looking forward to great success with this new project."

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/82097

Although I don't see why they're saying that Lotus is going to 'innovate' in a spec series....

#35 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:32 PM

Groundwork for Sato's return to F1? :x:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/82097

Although I don't see why they're saying that Lotus is going to 'innovate' in a spec series....

A "Lotus-Cosworth" on a Dallara chassis that is Honda powered? :mamoru:

#36 cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

A "Lotus-Cosworth" on a Dallara chassis that is Honda powered? :mamoru:

:x: :mamoru:

#37 cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:40 PM

They should just run the Soft and Super Soft tyres, or use 3 tyre compounds, and you must use each one, making 2 stops mandatory... I think it's gay, and WTF it takes 18 dudes to change 4 tyres??? That's 4 guys on each tyre and 2 guys doing jack duty.

How about making them choose their tire compound after Friday practice, and they cannot use the other compound the rest of the weekend? :mamoru:

#38 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

Maybe have Toyota make all of the accelerator pedals. :mamoru:

#39 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

Maybe have Toyota make all of the accelerator pedals. :mamoru:

this and maybe firestone can put a bid to be the tire supplier next year :x:

#40 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

Coulthard is so much more :mamoru: now that he's not a driver

I hope Max Mosley, watching from his ivory tower after relinquishing his post as president last autumn, enjoyed the Bahrain grand prix on Sunday.

Revs limited to 18,000rpm, the ban on in-race refuelling, standardised gearboxes and engines, a single tyre supplier; all initiatives introduced during his tenure at the FIA, all of which appear to have done little for the show.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/14421

#41 cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

Coulthard is so much more :mamoru: now that he's not a driver

http://www.f1technical.net/news/14421

:x:

#42 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

I agree with this. A narrower front wing with less elements would help greatly. What does raising the rear wing do in terms of the following car? Honestly, I thought a lower wing would make more sense b/c the turbulence is lower and would straighten up earlier than a taller rear wing?

A narrow wing that matches the rear wing in length, with less elements with a lower rear wing, wider tires, a more controlled rear diffuser on the car design will work nicely...

A higher rear wing is less efficient, creates less disturbance closer to ground level than a lower rear wing.

The narrower tires, double diffuser and no refueling thing is what's fucking up the show right now

#43 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:35 AM

Posted Image

#44 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:40 AM

Posted Image

I don't get it.

#45 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:04 AM

its funny because japanese massa has no nose

but really I think its saying they arent really best buds

#46 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:25 AM

Bernie's at is again.

There is just no end to the bad comparisons that Bernie can spill....

Bernie Ecclestone insists Formula 1 does not need to take immediate action to spice up the show despite the widespread criticism the sport has received following the processional season-opening race in Bahrain.

The return of German superstar Michael Schumacher to add to an all-star list of drivers in the four top teams created huge fan and media excitement during pre-season, with many tipping the 2010 campaign to be the most action-packed in years.

However, last weekend’s curtain-raising round proved to be a big letdown with virtually no wheel-to-wheel action among the leading cars as the refuelling ban appeared to only exacerbate F1’s perennial overtaking problems.

But while some team principals are already calling for an urgent re-think of the regulations, Ecclestone, F1’s commercial supremo, is adamant the sport should avoid making rapid changes.

“There is no panic, no crisis for F1,” he was quoted as saying by The Times.

“I think there is nothing we can do immediately and we should not just knee-jerk into changes.”
The much-heralded radical technical changes made to the cars for the start of last season are already regarded to have made little significant impact on the ability of cars to follow each other closely.

Ecclestone thinks that the longer-term solution to improving the racing will be to sideline the teams and their technical chiefs from the rule-making process.

“I had a meeting with the teams and tried to explain to them what our business is about — racing and entertaining the public, not about playing with computers and going fast over one lap,” he said.

“The problem is that you cannot really have teams in any shape or form having a part in the sporting or technical regulations.

“You cannot have the inmates writing the regulations.”

But while Ecclestone has advised the sport against pushing though emergency changes to the rules in the forthcoming weeks, Red Bull driver Mark Webber has warned that lots more races could follow the processional nature of the season-opener if teams continue to make just one pit stop for tyres.

Webber, who spent the whole 49-lap event stuck behind significantly slower cars, told Australia’s Daily Telegraph: "I was quicker than him [Jenson Button in the second stint] but I was unable to find a way through.

"He didn't make a mistake and if I'd tried to force the issue it would have ended in a crash.

"I was pretty shocked by how hard it was to overtake and it doesn't bode well for any of the one-stop races on the calendar, when everyone is going to be following pretty much the same strategy.

"We can only hope that other circuits will lend themselves to overtaking more than Sakhir."

#47 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:35 AM

Something else I found entertaining from F1 news today

Karun Chandhok's reaction to possible changes in racing format to the 2010 season, though sarcastic, amusing never the less.

Mar.16 (GMM) A meeting of the F1 teams association FOTA is expected to discuss the issue of boring races during a conference on Tuesday, according to Switzerland's Motorsport Aktuell.

The saga in the wake of Sunday's 2010 opener, with the new refuelling ban blamed for the lack of on-track action, has some figures calling for the sport to react immediately.

F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone wants to wait three more races before deciding whether to make any changes.

"There is no panic, no crisis for F1," he is quoted as saying by the Times.

He said he has already had a meeting with the teams.

"I tried to explain to them what our business is about -- racing and entertaining the public, not about playing with computers and going fast over one lap.

"The problem is that you cannot really have teams in any shape or form having a part in the sporting or technical regulations. You cannot have the inmates writing the regulations," said Ecclestone.

He proposes that independent engineers write the rules in future, but 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve is urging caution rather than knee-jerk panic.

"The rules are fine," said the French Canadian. "One race doesn't mean anything. The worst thing would be for sudden changes before everybody is sure what they want."

Lotus technical boss Mike Gascoyne, and former GP winner Gerhard Berger, agree.

"What we don't need right now is a knee-jerk reaction. Whatever happens, we must be sure that any changes improve the show," said Gascoyne.

Berger said: "It (Bahrain) was boring but it was the first race and it's too early to make a verdict. I think it will work out."

Sir Frank Williams told France's Auto Hebdo that not only the rules and the cars are to blame.

"There is no magic formula one, but a change that would help would be to have longer straights with bigger run-off zones," he said.

And HRT's Karun Chandhok joked: "How about they try out my weekend programme and go straight into quali!?"

#48 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

I like Chandhok's suggestion best :mamoru:

#49 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

:mamoru: Chandhok

#50 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

Really....

Mercedes GP CEO Nick Fry says the team sees no reason to suggest that Michael Schumacher is having trouble adapting to the current generation of Formula 1 cars and tyres, and reckons it is just a matter of Mercedes improving its pace to allow the drivers to start winning.

Schumacher made a low-key return to F1 last weekend with seventh place on the grid and sixth at the finish. He was slightly slower than team-mate Nico Rosberg throughout the weekend.

Fry denied suggestions that Schumacher was finding the 2010 front tyres ill-suited to his driving style.

"Listening to the discussions that are going on within the team, I don't actually detect any great difference in feedback between him and Nico," said Fry.

"I think they both know what they want to do to improve the car, and I think they are consistent in their views. There is nothing I have heard that is particular to Michael. But the encouraging thing is that they have got a to do list."

But Fry did reserve special praise for how well Rosberg had coped with the challenge of partnering Schumacher.

"I have been incredibly impressed with Nico's approach right from the moment that he knew Michael was joining the team," he said.

"It doesn't seem ever to have particularly fazed him. He has taken it in his stride and although sometimes the focus is on Michael, it doesn't seem to perturb him whatsoever. He has got on and done his job. He has proven again how quick he is, and I think he will continue to improve."

Fry is confident that the combination of Rosberg, Schumacher and team boss Ross Brawn will ensure that Mercedes swiftly closes the slight gap to the leaders.

"Ross sees that there were a lot of areas where we could work with Nico to not only improve the car, but also improve his personal performance," said Fry.

"I am very encouraged. I think it is a good team, the drivers seem to work together well and I think we are going away from [Bahrain] knowing we have work to do but far from downhearted. We have plenty of upside potential and that is what counts.

"It is going to be a long old year, and I absolutely believe that we have the people, and the equipment under Ross's guidance to come out of this very well at the end of the year."

Nick Fry has "relaxed" about schumi's perormance? Nick fucking Fry?

I wonder how the crackhead that lives in the bus alcove down the street feels about Warren Buffet's investment strategy during the downturn.

Nick fucking Fry? The only good thing this piece of shit has ever done is hiring Ross Brawn.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/82197

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users