682 replies to this topic

#26 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:27 PM

But it's been a long time since they've not had a race-winning car. It's easy to say "__ hasn't won in a decade," but if you forget the Ferrari-Schu dominant period, it's alot more open.

and don't forget the 2 years with renault taking the title, the year with brawngp, the year with rbr... the last 6 years 4 different teams have taken the title... and no mclaren

it's not just Ferrari that's beating them... it's good to have a race winning car for sure, but for f1, you want the titles more than anything...

#27 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:32 PM

Adrian Newey still works there. As long as they have him, they're going to be a force to contend with.

He's been there since 07 and only came good middle of 09. For me F1 is too unpredictable when large rule changes take place.

Mclaren and Ferrari were the only two teams who ran KERS for the whole season in 09. Mclaren unit was quite clearly the best, but I remember Massa saying 'thats where all our speed is' when asked if they would take it off at one of the races. Renault on the other hand abandoned it half way through along with Sauber. Obviously everyone has had time to develop it since then, but who will do the best job is uncertain. Certainly Newey isn't an electrochemical engineer from what I know :mamoru:

#28 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:33 PM

and don't forget the 2 years with renault taking the title, the year with brawngp, the year with rbr... the last 6 years 4 different teams have taken the title... and no mclaren

it's not just Ferrari that's beating them... it's good to have a race winning car for sure, but for f1, you want the titles more than anything...

I guess we'll see, but if I had to put money down on it I'd still think the safer bet was Ferrari or McLaren.

#29 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:38 PM

He's been there since 07 and only came good middle of 09. For me F1 is too unpredictable when large rule changes take place.

Mclaren and Ferrari were the only two teams who ran KERS for the whole season in 09. Mclaren unit was quite clearly the best, but I remember Massa saying 'thats where all our speed is' when asked if they would take it off at one of the races. Renault on the other hand abandoned it half way through along with Sauber. Obviously everyone has had time to develop it since then, but who will do the best job is uncertain. Certainly Newey isn't an electrochemical engineer from what I know :mamoru:

They made big jumps in 08, when his actual design came into play, and they weren't ever going to commit a ton of resources to a car that was going to be essentially trashed when the rule changes hit. The '09-'10 jump they made is still telling of Newey's brilliance in design though, as most everyone was on relatively even footing at the end of 09, considering the total lack of development that Brawn was able to put into their world-beater season starting car.

#30 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:43 PM

Well, they would have won in 07, handily, if not for :stephenygate:

#31 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:27 PM

they would have

but they didn't... so it doesn't matter

#32 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:38 PM

but they didn't... so it doesn't matter

Still can't exactly say they've not been a contender, or even midfielders, for the majority of the decade.

#33 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:44 PM

http://blogs.espnf1....s_to_clean_toil

:mamoru:

Branson prepares to clean toilet
Posted 14 hours, 9 minutes ago

© Lotus Racing
Sir Richard Branson left Abu Dhabi on Sunday with an AirAsia stewardess uniform in his luggage.
It was given to him by Tony Fernandes, the owner of the low-cost Malaysian airline and the F1 team currently known as Lotus. At the beginning of the season, Fernandes and fellow airline owner Branson, figurehead the Virgin team, wagered that the worst of the F1 newcomers would host the other on a flight - dressed as a stewardess.
"He'll have to work the whole flight. He'll have to serve, he'll have to clean, he'll have to clean the toilets," Fernandes is quoted by Reuters, after Lotus Racing finished the 2010 season in the coveted tenth place. Virgin finished last, behind HRT.
"Watch out London-KL," Fernandes wrote on Twitter.
Billionaire Branson said: "The only positive thing is we own 20% of his company so I'll be able to get some promotion for a company I have a stake in."

Posted Image

#34 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:23 AM

speaking of Lotus...
Fernandas Lotus team said it's going to be running under JPS livery...
but Automaker Lotus is rumored to be entering F1...

2 Lotus teams? 2 liveries (black/gold vs green/yellow)

anyone hear any more specifics?

#35 chiuey

chiuey

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Running, Wakeboarding & Karts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:29 AM

Well...

I like him again :hs: There's something to be said about loyalty in this modern age of F1...we'll see in due time.

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/34434.html

How hard is it to have loyalty to a team that's a title contender 9 out of every 10 years? I think the odds would be the same if he switched to another top team considering how close the championships are these days, so it's more logical to stay and be with people who have supported you from the beginning instead of jumping ship.

#36 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:12 AM

Anyone realize that we didn't hear about Jean Todt at ALL during the season? How fucking nice was that? This is the first season I've watched F1 where there wasn't a political struggle between the teams and the FIA. How fucking NICE!

#37 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:14 AM

Posted Image

Jean Todt did a pretty good job at the helm this year, infact we've seen more headlines out of Mosley than him :vuvu:

#38 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:22 AM

LOL. True...

I hope next seasons changes work better to promote good racing...to be totally honest, the ending was a bit of a let down. The chip was great, but the actual racing was very boring :hs: They need to give them more front grip as well, to promote grip when in a tow.

#39 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:37 AM

After 3 hours:

1 Ricciardo, 40.813;
2 Di Resta, 42.736s;
3 Turvey, 42.933s;
4 Vergne, 43.495s;
5 Bianchi, 43.894s;
6 Aleshin, 43.914s
7 Gutierrez, 44.419s;
8 Bird, 44.503s;
9 Maldonado, 46.278s;
10 Da Costa, 46.291s;
11 Gonzalez, 47.865s;
12 Haryanto, 49.439s;
13 Stoneman, 56.256s.

Apparently there's a young driver test on

http://www.f1today.n...na-circuit.html

#40 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

cool: branson is living up to the bet
awesome: auction money for the seats are going to charity :bowdown:

Virgin boss Richard Branson will don a pair of high heels and serve as a "stewardess" on an international flight after losing a bet with a race car buddy.

Branson made the wager with Lotus racing team principal Tony Fernandes , who owns Air Asia, over which of their Formula One teams would go better this season.

The loser had to serve as a "stewardess" on the winner's airline.

Although neither of the men's teams scored a point in their debut season, Lotus slightly outperformed the Virgin.

Fernandes said today "it's time for Richard to start preparing himself for some hard work and the likely pain of a pair of high heels."

The date of the Kuala Lumpur-London flight has yet to be set, but seats will be auctioned off and money given to Branson's chosen charity.

#41 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:37 AM

Formula 1's new king Sebastian Vettel has been warned the champion's crown will be back in Britain next year.
Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button, the last two title holders, said they are both already working on an even more aggressive assault for the 2011 season.
And Hamilton ensured Vettel's reign was born in controversy by claiming that Renault helped him to victory.
He accused Robert Kubica, who drives for Renault who supply Red Bull's engines, of deliberately preventing him from winning the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on Sunday.
"It was impossible to get past Kubica, he made it as difficult as it could be," said Hamilton.
"I guess that's what happens when you have a couple of other 'step-teams' in the field."

But the Pole insisted: "I was just racing for myself and my team."
Renault had a crucial part to play in the title outcome because Kubica's teammate Vitaly Petrov blocked Fernando Alonso for 40 laps to wreck his title hopes.

As Red Bull's celebrations moved to Austria and the team's headquarters in Milton Keynes, Button said he was surrendering the trophy with a heavy heart.
"Losing the number one from the car hurts a little bit but it also makes you hungry," said Button.
"While Seb is out partying over the next few days, we will be at the factory making sure the car is quicker for next year."
McLaren were the highest points scoring team of the day in Abu Dhabi having clearly got a handle on the car's performance issues that dogged them this year.
Hamilton said: "There are a lot of excited people at McLaren about next season already. Our aim is 2011 already."
"We both want to be back in the position Seb is in," added Button.
Hamilton also revealed he begins work this week on appointing a new manager to replace his father Anthony. "Before next year I will definitely have something sorted," he said.
Petrov hit back at Ferrari's criticisms of driving in front of Alonso. "I was not aggressive," he said. "It was easy to keep him behind me. He should be angry with himself or his team because they made the wrong strategy."

Laffo

http://www.mirror.co...15875-22720155/

#42 AErrorist

AErrorist

PFF1 Champion

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:53 AM

I want the new cars to be revealed already damn it!

#43 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:02 AM

Laffo

http://www.mirror.co...15875-22720155/

Posted Image Hamilton already busy on his off-season program of upgrading his douchiness.

#44 MrBucket

MrBucket

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:10 AM

Posted Image Hamilton already busy on his off-season program of upgrading his douchiness.

i heard on other f1 forums that the daily mirror is a joke, more like national inquirer status.

#45 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:20 AM

i heard on other f1 forums that the daily mirror is a joke, more like national inquirer status.

The Daily Mirror is barely above the 'News of the World' in terms of journalistic integrity, but then again NotW didn't completely lie about Mad Max's kinky fetish

#46 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:12 AM

The Daily Mirror is barely above the 'News of the World' in terms of journalistic integrity, but then again NotW didn't completely lie about Mad Max's kinky fetish

Actually, they totally made up the Nazi part of it.

#47 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:22 AM

Posted Image

Tall Ferrari is back

#48 SeaMack99

SeaMack99

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:27 AM

Is there a good website to get unbiased F1 news? Getting F1 news off OT and other message boards seriously makes me wanna club baby seals

#49 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:02 AM

How hard is it to have loyalty to a team that's a title contender 9 out of every 10 years? I think the odds would be the same if he switched to another top team considering how close the championships are these days, so it's more logical to stay and be with people who have supported you from the beginning instead of jumping ship.

...or the fact that no other big team would really want to put up with his whinging. He's like Alonso, but black

Case in point

Is there a good website to get unbiased F1 news? Getting F1 news off OT and other message boards seriously makes me wanna club baby seals

Autosport, f1-live brah

#50 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:58 PM

http://www.planetf1....ampionship-bill

So, I want to work for Red Bull if Kaboga tanks on me! That's frikkin' awesome!

Winning the Formula One Constructors' Championship don't come cheap. Just ask Red Bull Racing owner Dietrich Mateschitz.

The energy drinks company boss will have to fork out approximately £5.5 million to pay bonuses to every single employee - even the receptionist and the cleaning staff - who helped the team to win the Constructors' title this year.

According to The Guardian, 'Red Bull are paying each and every member of staff - roughly 550 people - £10,000 for their constructors' victory.'

Team principal Christian Horner says he has been receiving several texts since the team won the team title at Interlagos.

"I had a load of texts after Brazil saying 'Thanks for the new kitchen'," he said.

Meanwhile, Mateschitz told Autosport they are more than happy to dig deep in their pockets.

"Of course, as Championship bonuses are written down in every contract. I guess we can afford this..."

Vietlol, what forums do you visit for those awesome pictures?? :bowdown:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users