45 replies to this topic

#1 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

Does anyone not like the privateers like Williams, Ex-Super Aguri, and Brawn? Arguably Red Bull/Toro Rosso?

But, oddly enough, does anyone actually like Force India?

#2 Skyliner

Skyliner

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

This has to stem from redliner's post in the Misc Talk thread. I actually thought of you when I read it. :hs: And not in a :o way.

I think people can root for the "lovable loser" only if they feel the loser actually may have a one in a million or better chance of doing well. People refuse to get a behind a team that most feel will never ever ever have a shot, even with a fluke.

#3 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

Does anyone not like the privateers like Williams, Ex-Super Aguri, and Brawn? Arguably Red Bull/Toro Rosso?

But, oddly enough, does anyone actually like Force India?

i felt this was pretty much on-topic material, so thread moved..

i think it depends on the 'privateer' for me.

williams i like due to their racing success as a privateer. aguri was always the perennial underdog, and you've always got to have people that like the huge underdog. brawn, well i have my reasons to support ross..

RBR/STR: i'm pretty much on the fence about them. on one hand i'm a huge fan of vettel, and the red bull 'f1 doesn't need to be so much serious bidness.' mentality, but on the other hand i don't really feel much like/hate for the team itself. i guess if they replaced vettel and webber then i probably wouldn't care much about the team, though i do like that they bring young talent into the sport.

FI: yeah, i just really don't care for this privateer. didn't when it was spyker either. the last time i cared about the team was when it was still a yellow 'buzzin hornets' jordan, especially with the shark mouth nosecone. and that was mostly due to EJ being such a cool guy, and the chicks he used to bring to the races.

#4 Skyliner

Skyliner

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

Stuff.

So it was you that fucked my reply up. :squint:

Edit: Why, thank you.

#5 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

So it was you that fucked my reply up. :squint:

fixed.

#6 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:25 PM

I think force india's problem is 2 fold...
1) they're slow
2) they don't have popular drivers..

all the other teams have some sort of like-able driver, or are at least fast...

the only team i really don't care about the drivers or the team itself is McLaren... but I do like how "apple-esc" their factory is... I've been kimi crew since he drove for mclaren, but i hated to see that team win... and I've always been a ferrari fan but couldn't stand shumi and rubens will always be a #2...

#7 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

This has to stem from redliner's post in the Misc Talk thread. I actually thought of you when I read it. :noes: And not in a :squint: way.

I think people can root for the "lovable loser" only if they feel the loser actually may have a one in a million or better chance of doing well. People refuse to get a behind a team that most feel will never ever ever have a shot, even with a fluke.

I actually posted it before those replies were made.

I was wondering that the other day, actually, and just now got around to posting it.

#8 Skyliner

Skyliner

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

I actually posted it before those replies were made.

I was wondering that the other day, actually, and just now got around to posting it.

Redliner's post was about 14 minutes before yours, but I guess the timestamp for your post changed when Kerozen moved it? :squint:

As for actual post content, with most of the privateer teams driver-turn around is so high, I'd find it hard to root for one.

I know Toyota isn't a privateer, but it's helped me as a fan to have Trulli be a team mainstay for several years.

#9 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

I thought that's where I put it. :squint:

i think it depends on the 'privateer' for me.

williams i like due to their racing success as a privateer. aguri was always the perennial underdog, and you've always got to have people that like the huge underdog. brawn, well i have my reasons to support ross..

RBR/STR: i'm pretty much on the fence about them. on one hand i'm a huge fan of vettel, and the red bull 'f1 doesn't need to be so much serious bidness.' mentality, but on the other hand i don't really feel much like/hate for the team itself. i guess if they replaced vettel and webber then i probably wouldn't care much about the team, though i do like that they bring young talent into the sport.

I liked RBR initially because of DC and their mentality. STR because of Speed, and again, their mentality. That and RB has paid me (rather well) in the past. Although I never cared much for Minardi or Jaguar. I'll admit I like STR significantly less since Speed's departure.

Same on FI/Spyker/Midland/etc. And yea, Jordan was fun, mostly because of Eddie Jordan's antics and Katie Price/Jordan's boobings.

Williams, I guess I just really like Frank Williams and his ideals. Never cared terribly much for Nico or his compatriots at the team itself.

Brawn/Honda: I'm an old school BAR Honda fan, probably my first F1 team I cheered for. Both because I had a Honda car, and i was pretty impressed with Sato's drive at the 04 USGP (esp sector 1).

Then again: You can trace most of my fan-ships to either UK (British + Scottish) or American Drivers and/or team bosses. :noes:

#10 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

so i take it as a privateer you either need to either have one or a combination of the following for fan support:

1) success
2) likable driver(s)
3) outgoing team attitude/mentality
4) katie price/keeley hazell/etc. F1 model whore
5) home nationality support

any more traits to add to that list? :squint:

#11 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

Force India really comes down to identity. Jordan/Midland/Spyker/Force India...you can't have that much change and still have people care about the team. What kind of personality does it have...a fat Indian desi dude with earings? Still can't touch Flavio for baller/cool factor. I think if FI sticks around for a few more years and gets a few interesting drivers, there might be some fan interest.

For me RBR hasn't established that identity by themselves. I rooted for STR because of the underdog factor and Speed, but after Gerhard going king douchebag all over Scott, I started loathing the team. It was touch to root and be happy for vettel last year.

With Vettel and finally a good Newey design, I think RBR really has a chance to make some noise and create a strong identity for itself.

You have to respect Williams, and even though I've been pulling for Rosberg, I can't seem to get totally behind them.

SA was the coolest fucking team ever...and even though I've been amazed by brawn GP, I still refuse to root for them until Nick Fry is gone.

#12 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

so i take it as a privateer you either need to either have one or a combination of the following for fan support:

1) success
2) likable driver(s)
3) outgoing team attitude/mentality
4) katie price/keeley hazell/etc. F1 model whore
5) home nationality support

any more traits to add to that list? :squint:

that about sums it up.

I think I'd admire an F1 team that hadn't had much success but was still struggling and trying...Loveable Loser/Chicago Cubs style. Is Toyota the closest F1 has to that?

#13 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

Force India really comes down to identity. Jordan/Midland/Spyker/Force India...you can't have that much change and still have people care about the team. What kind of personality does it have...a fat Indian desi dude with earings? Still can't touch Flavio for baller/cool factor. I think if FI sticks around for a few more years and gets a few interesting drivers, there might be some fan interest.

For me RBR hasn't established that identity by themselves. I rooted for STR because of the underdog factor and Speed, but after Gerhard going king douchebag all over Scott, I started loathing the team. It was touch to root and be happy for vettel last year.

With Vettel and finally a good Newey design, I think RBR really has a chance to make some noise and create a strong identity for itself.

You have to respect Williams, and even though I've been pulling for Rosberg, I can't seem to get totally behind them.

SA was the coolest fucking team ever...and even though I've been amazed by brawn GP, I still refuse to root for them until Nick Fry is gone.

i'm glad to for their success as long as they keep him off the podium for the manufacturer's trophy. :squint:

#14 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:32 PM

Brawn/Honda: I'm an old school BAR Honda fan, probably my first F1 team I cheered for. Both because I had a Honda car, and i was pretty impressed with Sato's drive at the 04 USGP (esp sector 1).

This sums me up too, though after I got rid of my Honda and the increasing failure after the BAR buyout, I started losing my allegiance.

#15 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

going down the list
SA - I'm a Sato fan, his kamikaze driving and like able personality won me over, Honda don't care about nor Jenson...
Williams - that's just old school, how can you not like Williams and everything they've done without being tied to a manufactuor
STR/RBR - Red Bull fun sometimes (StarWars/Superman theme :squint: ), but other than that, don't really notice them, Vettel is the only thing that sparks my interest when it comes to the red bull twins...
FI - like i said above, don't care about the team, don't care about the drivers, nothing sparks my interest there...
BGP - I like the team because 1) Brawn 2) their the underdogs kicking ass, but driver wise, don't care about Jenson and Rubens needs to retire.

#16 AErrorist

AErrorist

PFF1 Champion

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

dot

Though my love came later, didn't -seriously- start following Honda till it was a works team in 06 when I went to go see the USGP with Narcho and friends. I had a Honda, seemed the most logical choice. Didn't want to root for Ferrari (too good) didn't want to root for Renault (French) as someone mentioned in another thread McLaren was out of the question because Kimi had the personality of a mop. Honda was decent enough to be worth rooting for, but not so much it felt like it didn't matter whether I did or not.

#17 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

going down the list
SA - I'm a Sato fan, his kamikaze driving and like able personality won me over, Honda don't care about nor Jenson...
Williams - that's just old school, how can you not like Williams and everything they've done without being tied to a manufactuor
STR/RBR - Red Bull fun sometimes (StarWars/Superman theme :squint: ), but other than that, don't really notice them, Vettel is the only thing that sparks my interest when it comes to the red bull twins...
FI - like i said above, don't care about the team, don't care about the drivers, nothing sparks my interest there...
BGP - I like the team because 1) Brawn 2) their the underdogs kicking ass, but driver wise, don't care about Jenson and Rubens needs to retire.

SA - Never got the Sato love, even though I was cheering loudly at my TV when he overtook Alonso at Canada, Davidson is a whiny bitch and needs to die.
Williams - Mad props for finally pulling their shit together this year (kinda). I still think they could have a better driver than Nakajima - that dudes like the mentor to NP jr
STR/RBR - Webbo :o Vettel :love: People think Vettel will make Webber look bad this year, I beg to differ. I hate STR the most on the track. Bourdais is a whiny whore and Buemi, well, I don't care for
FI - Have something against Fisi's awful glasses collection :noes: Sutil meh
BGP - Absolutely hate the drivers for this team (my combined hate still isnt as strong as single hate for Le Seb). Jenson Button is a fail and Barichello and Flava Flav should have a whinge off, I'd like to see who wins that. On the other hand Ross Brawn pulling this team together needs mad props, its just a shame hes winning with idiots.

P.S. - If anyone can find a video of Button's accident behind the safety car at Monza, post it :h5:

#18 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Interests:F1, racing, women, steak, running, cycling.

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

i loved aguri, and i loved STR when they had speed. i always liked honda, but was always disappointed. when kimi when to ferrari, i started to be a ferrari fanboy. honestly, i change who i like all the time, but i have always liked kimi and button, and then kubica.

i secretly desire a toyota win for trulli :squint: how can you not like trulli?

#19 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

The team doesn't have to be majorly successful, but the little wins really count for a lot in the team. Like Sato's pass down Alonso at Canada. That was just :squint: stuff in a 3 year-old Arrows chassis.

Force India: I can't be a fan of a team named Force India. Sorry, I can't support that at all. Altho, maybe my beliefs will change when USGPF1 comes around...and I didn't watch F1 when Jordan was around, but from what I know, that would've been my team thru and thru. I'm sure I would've shedded a tear when the team sold out to Midland at the time. But the current iteration just has nothing to make me want to support the team. Lack of identity is right.

Williams: I'm a huge fan of Williams. All the little things Sir Frank has said in the past leads me to believe he is in it for the sport first. And he still runs a S sticker to represent Senna, a respect not only to Senna himself, but to the sport in general.

BGP: I was always a fan of Ross and knew he would turn Honda around. I guess I was a Honda fan b/c I drove a Honda...but when they fired Geoff Willis, I was pissed. And than 2 seasons full of fail did not help. And to know that in MotoGP, they've screwed over Rossi and Hayden, didn't help matters much either. So when Brawn took over, I was all aboard. But I'm glad to see Button doing well. I've never beleived he was a top tier driver, but he's one of those drivers that I feel isn't a robot...

RBR/STR: I've got mixed emotions. They "feel" like a privateer and their image is "fun" but it's too engineered and commercialized. So it's mixed for me, but I'm gaining huge respect for Vettel.

#20 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

i loved aguri, and i loved STR when they had speed. i always liked honda, but was always disappointed. when kimi when to ferrari, i started to be a ferrari fanboy. honestly, i change who i like all the time, but i have always liked kimi and button, and then kubica.

i secretly desire a toyota win for trulli :noes: how can you not like trulli?

As far as drivers go Trulli, Vettel, Button, Kimi, Webbah, Alonso are my faves to watch on and off. And sometimes Massa, lol. I figure I could grab a drink w/ any of these guys and they'd be cool. Except Kimi...he'd just be a cock, lol.

I was a Hamilton fan at first, but...eh. his true colors have been revealed :squint:

#21 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

that about sums it up.

I think I'd admire an F1 team that hadn't had much success but was still struggling and trying...Loveable Loser/Chicago Cubs style. Is Toyota the closest F1 has to that?

Except Toyota's corporate attitude and huge budget take away from that 'underdog' status.

#22 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:54 PM

P.S. - If anyone can find a video of Button's accident behind the safety car at Monza, post it :squint:

All i could find was the video of Vettel/Webbo's accident behind the safety car. :noes:

On a side note: I hate STR since they got rid of Speed. Even when Skittle drove for them. And the two current Sebastians I despise as well.

#23 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:56 PM

The team doesn't have to be majorly successful, but the little wins really count for a lot in the team. Like Sato's pass down Alonso at Canada. That was just :squint: stuff in a 3 year-old Arrows chassis.

Sato was driving the converted RA106 that year.

#24 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

Sato's pass on Alonso was my number one event that year in F1...
I didn't like Alonso at all till he left McLaren, I think the humble pie he got served made him more down to earth...
Vettel is hard not to like. he feels like I can invite him over and play Halo on the 360 or go gokarting... he seems like one of the guys that just happens to be able to drive rings around people...

I've never been a honda fan in any sort of racing... just how they treat their drivers/riders and it's more design my corporate committee seems like a horrible idea... the passion that company was once founded on, has taken a seat at the back of the bus. even their cars, the only car that they make that i've ever considered owning is the S2k... I'll recommended them, but I won't buy one...

#25 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

even their cars, the only car that they make that i've ever considered owning is the S2k... I'll recommended them, but I won't buy one...

the civic si and integra GSR were so :squint: for the time. Looking back now it's really hard to imagine how 160hp was considered fast, but there were just no other alternatives outside of mullet mobiles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users