567 replies to this topic

#101 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

So, basically, STR is where F1 careers go to die (unless you're Sebastian Vettel)

#102 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

Have those 2 drivers really impressed anyone though?

#103 MrBucket

MrBucket

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

So, basically, STR is where F1 careers go to die (unless you're Sebastian Vettel)

Either win or get fucked.

#104 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

:dunno: I guess STR is there to find the next vettel, not to find the next webber.

Kinda of a fools errand if you ask me...how do you find once in a generation talent a few times in a generation?

#105 MrBucket

MrBucket

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

:dunno: I guess STR is there to find the next vettel, not to find the next webber.

Kinda of a fools errand if you ask me...how do you find once in a generation talent a few times in a generation?

Maybe they thought that neither of them would be the next Webber either.

#106 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:41 PM

Have those 2 drivers really impressed anyone though?

I've never heard of them before...

#107 vietlol

vietlol

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

I thought Hymen was really getting somewhere in the second half of this season, his race in Korea was just awesome. Count Chocula I didn't see do anything other be solid.

#108 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:06 AM

Vettel is Dr Helmet's golden boy. He seemingly hates everyone else in the RB Driver program, which makes me even more confused on why they even bother anymore.

#109 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:15 AM

You can't find if you don't look...

#110 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume Kimi's knowledge of history is quite limited, unless it is the history of vodka.

:rofl:

#111 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:01 AM

Heh, while poking around Axis of Oversteer, i managed to find these old articles about Honda leaving F1

http://axisofoverste...ondas-gone.html

The comments are gold, with everyone saying they'd never make a car worth a crap anyway, and that Button is worthless.

Then, the article about BMW calling Honda out for leaving F1, only for them to do the same within a year is also gold. Specifically:

Our F1 involvement is an integral part of the company strategy. There is no better platform than Formula One for demonstrating our brand values. BMW, moreover, makes targeted use of the Formula One project as a technology accelerator for series production.

http://axisofoverste...r-quitting.html

Hindsight makes so many things that much better. :rofl:

#112 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:03 AM

Heh, while poking around Axis of Oversteer, i managed to find these old articles about Honda leaving F1

http://axisofoverste...ondas-gone.html

The comments are gold, with everyone saying they'd never make a car worth a crap anyway, and that Button is worthless.

Then, the article about BMW calling Honda out for leaving F1, only for them to do the same within a year is also gold. Specifically:

http://axisofoverste...r-quitting.html

Hindsight makes so many things that much better. :rofl:

:werd:

Unless that hindsight is you...and thanks to FB's new layout, it's easy to see that hindsight now! :o

#113 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:00 AM

:werd:

Unless that hindsight is you...and thanks to FB's new layout, it's easy to see that hindsight now! :o

I edited the shit out of my past. :o

#114 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

Force India is officially going with DiResta and Hulk for next year, leaving Sutil out.

http://www.gpupdate....or-force-india/

#115 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

I'm a bit surprised. Sutil was solid, maybe he was asking too much or Hulk got some sponsors?

#116 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

I'm a bit surprised. Sutil was solid, maybe he was asking too much or Hulk got some sponsors?

Would you have gotten rid of DiResta after 1 year? Or kept Hulk out indefinitely (when he's already stated that he wouldn't wait another year for a race drive)?

Sutil had his 4 years (5 if you count the old team), and did well, but didn't seem to be progressing any more. Being handled pretty well by a rookie teammate, and having another highly rated new guy in the pipeline meant it was his time to go, IMO.

That said, I hope he finds a drive somewhere else, but the seats are filling pretty quickly.

#117 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

Would you have gotten rid of DiResta after 1 year? Or kept Hulk out indefinitely (when he's already stated that he wouldn't wait another year for a race drive)?

Sutil had his 4 years (5 if you count the old team), and did well, but didn't seem to be progressing any more. Being handled pretty well by a rookie teammate, and having another highly rated new guy in the pipeline meant it was his time to go, IMO.

That said, I hope he finds a drive somewhere else, but the seats are filling pretty quickly.

I agree...I'd have made the same move too. I hope Sutil finds a seat as I think he's deserving of one. Williams perhaps? Malando's seat looks to be under threat because of the sponsorship issues right now too...

Edit: I am surprised by Jamie's departure tho. He beat Buemi quite well...I'm afraid Sutil, Jamie, Buemi are all going to be the next Scott Speed/Christian Klein.

#118 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

Maybe FI didn't want the neck-stabby press :dunno:

So this makes it 4 B- to B+ drivers to have been stripped of their seat in the past 2 weeks - Petrov, Senna, Sutil, and Jaime.

Jaime is such a logically good fit for HRT seat #2 that it probably won't happen. I haven't the foggiest where everyone else may end up. Maybe they each try to pull a Hulk for 1 year?

#119 MrBucket

MrBucket

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

So many drivers without a seat that want one, I don't remember this happening the past few years.

#120 MrBucket

MrBucket

GP2

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

Caterham already passed all the FIA crash tests, seems really early to me but what do I know.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96785

#121 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

Caterham already passed all the FIA crash tests, seems really early to me but what do I know.

Not surprised tbh, the chassis should be pretty much designed at this point (mid december), with first tests starting in Feb. Even Ferrari has said they will launch the car before the first test in Feb.

#122 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:32 PM

So many drivers without a seat that want one, I don't remember this happening the past few years.

It's nothing like I remember, but it's also a weird time. The return of old timers (Schumi/Kimi) and the pressure from the new crowd (New STR duo, Hulk, etc), and the guys who have been around forever (Boobens, Trulli, etc) mean that something has to give. Add in the teams needing pay drivers (Maldanado, Petrov), and there's even more pressure on than ever.

#123 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

It seems early, but with the regs being rewritten to say the teams need to have crash certs before they run the cars at all (as opposed to the first race), and I bet it becomes the norm.

#124 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:57 PM

Just need more teams!

#125 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

the basic shell passed, it's not like all the aero and stuff is finished... just the base, which makes sense...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users