Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:02 PM

:wavey:

An agreement has been reached between Formula 1's governing body and the teams to prevent a breakaway series, says FIA president Max Mosley.

The two parties had been engulfed in a bitter row over planned budgetary and technical changes for the new season.

But it appears a resolution has now been found and, as part of the deal, Mosley has agreed not to stand for re-election as president.

"There will be no split. We have agreed to a reduction of costs," added Mosley.

"There will be one F1 championship but the objective is to get back to the spending levels of the early 90s within two years."

F1 surpremo Bernie Ecclestone added that he is "very happy common sense has prevailed", following a meeting of 120 members of the FIA in Paris aimed at resolving the crisis.

Ahead of the meeting, Mosley had insisted that he would not step down as part of any potential agreement and might even seek re-election as head of world motor sport.

He hit out at what he described as "wholly unjustified criticism" of the FIA, adding: "It is for the FIA membership, and the FIA membership alone, to decide on its democratically elected leadership, not the motor industry and still less the individuals the industry employs to run its Formula 1 teams."

However, it appears Mosley has now agreed to move aside when his fourth term as FIA president ends in October, while writs that had been threatened against Ferrari and the other teams in the Formula 1 Teams Association (Fota) - McLaren, BMW Sauber, Renault, Toyota, Red Bull Racing, Toro Rosso and Brawn GP - are likely to be shelved.

"It's come as a bit of a surprise, given that Fota were planning to meet in Bologna on Thursday to discuss their plans for the breakaway championship," stated BBC sports news correspondent James Munro in Paris.

There has clearly been a trade-off (between Mosley and Fota)

BBC sports news correspondent James Munro
"But what we got today after a meeting of World Motorsport Council was an impromptu press conference and Mosley began by saying there will be no split, there will be one championship.

"He said that over the course of the negotiations he had been able to secure guarantees from the teams who were threatening to get away that they would try to reign back the levels of their spending to the levels they were spending in the early 90s.

"It was him that had come up with the idea that next season all teams would have a budget cap of about £40m, but there has clearly been a trade-off as he has also agreed to do what he says was always the plan - stand down as president of the FIA this October."

More to follow.

#2 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:30 PM

my guess...
After FIA/FOM releases the official list tomorrow of the 2010 teams... they'll get a shit storm of sponsors/tv rights/tracks/teams wanting to pull out or re-negotiate their deals

only way F1 will be the F1 as we know it...
Mosley will be forced to step down, a new concorde agreement will have to be signed, realistic budget cap, more money for the teams, FIA gets reworked, all the teams come back...

so far i've called it... waiting for more of the details
Posted Image

#3 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

Do we still get the cool tracks listed? :wavey:

#4 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:20 PM

Like I said before, this was not the preferable route in my opinion. We're still stuck with bullshit track selections and ridiculous ticket prices. :wavey:

#5 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:25 PM

The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) will officially call off its plans for a rival championship tomorrow after reaching a breakthrough deal with the FIA.

Following last-ditch talks between FIA president Max Mosley, FOTA chairman Luca di Montezemolo and F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, an agreement was reached that commits the teams to the sport until 2012.

FOTA members had been set to press ahead with breakaway plans in the meeting in Bologna tomorrow, but following its victory in getting the FIA and Ecclestone to agree to terms that keeps its eight members in F1, it will now rubber stamp final cost-cutting regulations for 2010 and call off its breakaway instead.

The deal between the FIA and FOTA was confirmed on Wednesday afternoon, when the FIA announced that its planned budget cap for 2010 had been scrapped, and instead FOTA-proposed cost-cutting regulations will be introduced.

In a bid to help new teams, technical assistance will be offered to Campos Meta, Manor Grand Prix and Team US F1 by major outfits.

The FIA statement said: "As part of this agreement, the teams will, within two years, reduce the costs of competing in the championship to the level of the early 1990s.

"The manufacturer teams have agreed to assist the new entries for 2010 by providing technical assistance."

As part of the deal with FOTA, the teams' association has agreed to recognise the FIA's position as the sport's governing body, adding that a new Concorde Agreement has been agreed in principle to keep all of the teams in F1 to 2012 and, upon re-negotiation, it is hoped beyond.

"The manufacturer teams have further agreed to the permanent and continuing role of the FIA as the sport's governing body," added the statement. "They have also committed to the commercial arrangements for the FIA Formula 1 World Championship until 2012 and have agreed to renegotiate and extend this contract before the end of that period.

"All teams will adhere to an upgraded version of the governance provisions of the 1998 Concorde Agreement."

Furthermore, with it clear that FOTA is not trying to usurp the FIA's authority, FIA president Max Mosley has agreed to not stand for re-election in October.

#6 Dr. Jimmmah!

Dr. Jimmmah!

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

What about the BS Cosworth rule? Their engines are allowed to rev to infinity RPM and only need to last for 1 race.

#7 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:19 PM

What about the BS Cosworth rule? Their engines are allowed to rev to infinity RPM and only need to last for 1 race.

Id love to see some engines blow up in spectacular fashion!

#8 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

However, Mosley was adamant that his departure was not enforced upon him as a part of the deal, arguing that with peace and common ground having been established regarding the future direction of the championship in terms of reducing expenditure – without resorting to his controversial and unpopular budget cap initiative, but with existing teams being bound to help newcomers with chassis' and engines – he could relinquish the reins with a clear conscience and confidence that F1 is in good hands to proceed forwards.

it's a general statement, and I don't know if that applies to next year or not...
waiting on the details

#9 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:00 PM

BBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 dgr81

dgr81

Formula 3

• F1 Crew Member
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:43 PM

gay

#11 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:29 PM

Like I said before, this was not the preferable route in my opinion. We're still stuck with bullshit track selections and ridiculous ticket prices. :rofl:

The FOTA are bitches.

#12 More&Faster

More&Faster

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

as much as i wanted this to happen just a week ago, i'm actually disappointed.

#13 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Interests:F1, racing, women, steak, running, cycling.

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:17 PM

geez...

#14 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:33 PM

as much as i wanted this to happen just a week ago, i'm actually disappointed.

:rofl:

No USGP, no no Montreal, no Finnish GP, probably no HD broadcast, no more silverstone or imola...even if the new series hadn't of worked, it was at least giving me hope.

#15 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:04 PM

I personally am glad. As much as id like to believe a breakaway series could survive i couldnt see it happening. And id also love to believe that the teams could run a series together, their politics would smell like shit just like the fia would have.

Plus, look how well CART when they split? :rofl:

sure, the hope was nice but the reality was not so nice. Legal preceedings, money, a battle over commercial rights, tv rights...would've been the same story in a different book cover with formula new battiling be's cvc.

#16 Nacho

Nacho

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

I personally am glad. As much as id like to believe a breakaway series could survive i couldnt see it happening. And id also love to believe that the teams could run a series together, their politics would smell like shit just like the fia would have.

Plus, look how well CART when they split? :rofl:

sure, the hope was nice but the reality was not so nice. Legal preceedings, money, a battle over commercial rights, tv rights...would've been the same story in a different book cover with formula new battiling be's cvc.

CART's management wasn't made up of individuals that essentially head up multi-million dollar companies.

I think Flav alone could run the series and not have many issues.

#17 mads

mads

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:22 PM

CART's management wasn't made up of individuals that essentially head up multi-million dollar companies.

didn't he basically organize Gp2?

#18 yonson

yonson

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to bore you with...

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:48 PM

:rofl: I wanted a New Formula :o

FUCK BERNIE, MAX etc...

#19 MrHahn

MrHahn

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

Like I said before, this was not the preferable route in my opinion. We're still stuck with bullshit track selections and ridiculous ticket prices. :rofl:

:o

I think the cost cutting for teams is not the priority in F1. How many locations are making heavy losses just staging a round of the F1 while Bernie sucks them dry?

This alone has to change for me to go back to a race.

#20 Redliner

Redliner

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:23 PM

and flav would've implemented a reverse grid :rofl:

#21 DrDickAction

DrDickAction

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:30 PM

I think the cost cutting for teams is not the priority in F1. How many locations are making heavy losses just staging a round of the F1 while Bernie sucks them dry?

bingo

#22 kngrsll

kngrsll

WDC

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Interests:F1, racing, women, steak, running, cycling.

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:45 PM

DOT

#23 _R_

_R_

F1 Legend

• F1 Crew Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

like I've said in other thread...
F1 needs the FIA and the FIA needs F1 to survive in the currently state of the world...
if they amounted this assault 5 years ago before the world economy took a dive and automakers sales weren't down a million percent, then it could've been a possibility....

if FOTA jumped, all the sponsors/tracks/broadcast stations/everything would call FIA/FOM and want to redo their contracts because the big teams left... basically taking all the revenue out of the FIA basically sinking them...

also, there is no way that the teams could come up with the $$$ backing to start a new series and get a enough viewers or fans to cover the costs of what they're blowing...

if they split it was a lose lose situation for everyone... as much as we want the engineers to go nuts and have cheap tickets and cool tracks, it's not feasible right now...

this chaos known as F1/FIA/FOM sustains and supports each other like it or not... do i agree with everything that goes on... no, but now that Max is out of office, and the FOTA has scored a "victory" the last leg that needs helping is the Bernie/FOM issue...

#24 Shi

Shi

Administrator

• F1 Crew Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts
  • Interests:Vehicle dynamics, trackdays, motorsports

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

I'm personally quite dissapointed

#25 mads

mads

Formula 1

• F1 Crew Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:53 PM

I'm dissapointed as well, but we all knew this wasn't going to end well if it did go through fully.

however all the news stations in Canada have been whoring out the fact that apparently now we have a pretty good chance at a Montreal comeback. :rofl:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users